Prayuth: You're free to brew your own booze - just read the fine print

webfact

2 hours ago, wombat said:

or goes blind from the ethanol not being taken off like happens in Bali with Arak made from the fermented sap of coconut flowers or sugarcane

Do you mean methanol?

I think you do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mania said:

White Lightning has been around for years in the villages.

Made from rice

When the locals drink it they sweat a lot & get thoroughly smashed

And almost always of better quality then what passes for the commercial <deleted>. 

Been produced locally for ages - illegal or not. 

Within most circles it's the preferred elixir. The perfect conduit for Ya Dong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I have been making fruit wines for years, 2 years ago I made the jump to beer. Every thing required is available on lazada, including a good choice of hops. It's a very enjoyable hobby.

my old man used to brew his own. my earliest memories are of me sitting and watching him brew up the hops and so forth. Even now, i remember the smell of fermenting beer. think i may give it a go myself.

5 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I have been making fruit wines for years, 2 years ago I made the jump to beer. Every thing required is available on lazada, including a good choice of hops. It's a very enjoyable hobby.

im still on the fruit wines ..beers to cheap here for all the hassles..but if its a hobby different thing   Bottoms up .Whoops sounds a bit like soi 7 eh

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Lets see how long it takes before someone goes blind or dies from drinking bad home made alcohol!?

Fermenting to make wine or beer, you cant really go wrong, its only when you start distilling alcohol that things can go wrong if you dont know what your doing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mania said:

Yeah but making stills/moonshine is as old a profession as prostitution.....They have had centuries of practice but yes...undistilled or more like swipe/fermentation style brews can be a recipe for problems

Methanol in only fermentated alcohol (wine/beer) will never be a problem because it's not high enough for cause health problems. But if someone destillate the fermentated alcohol and don't take away the first glas it will be dangerous for the health.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

important that standards in the production of alcohol must be met. 

so basically you need a commercial setup
but cannot sell any.......

sounds like they are about to clamp down on all the small operations that do not meet the standard.

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mania said:

Made from rice

Not the White Lightning I used to know then?    Same effect though!

White_Lightning_bottle.png.29a0f9b06590a2dcd6a64864240076e7.png

Friend of my father filled a cherry liqueur bottle with anti-freeze (no idea why) and left it in the boot of his car.

Some weeks later he took his car in for a service and four of the mechanics shared out the 'cherry liqueur' between them................two of them died.

10 hours ago, mania said:

Made from rice

Lao Khao you could buy on the streets most anywhere usually from a trolley bar. It was served in shot glasses for 5 baht a pop. Not seen any for a while though, last time was under the bridge at the Petchaburi end of Thong Law and another in a similar position at the Sukhumvit end of Ekamai in 2015.

Mekhong or Sang Thip were the brands, one I think is where Thai Bev made its money.

How is this even news worthy? There are already laws in place for the non-commercial production of alcohol. I think the issue was the COMMERCIAL production of alcohol for small craft breweries. They cannot meet the huge minimum costs for production.

Edited by hioctane
  • Like 2

Prayuth Chan-ocha, the prime minister, said people should be free to do so, though they must be restricted from selling the liquor. 

This is about the dumbest and the most tone deaf thing this man has ever said and done. The entire issue was about craft beer and micro brewing. All he did here was both gloss over the issue, and decide to continue to protect his cronies, to the detriment of the nation, and the dynamic young folks who want to start micro breweries and help kick start an economy that Prayuth personally decimated. 

Dumb and dumber. When will the stupidity end? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1