Unlicenced driver in Isuzu pick-up who nearly killed nurse walks from court

webfact

1pm.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Two months prison

Daily News reported from the Pathumwan Court after a judgement was handed down against Weerayuth.

Weerayuth was the driver of an Isuzu who was speeding along Ratdamri Road in Bangkok, going through a red light and failing to stop for a pedestrian on a crossing.In addition he had no licence.

He was caught after the incident on Saturday after a pregnant nurse was lucky to escape with her life while crossing the road.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The court ordered the suspect jailed for 2 months and fined 10,000 baht on charges of negligent and scary driving.

These were halved on admission.

The prison term was then suspended for a year in which probation will take place. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Confused 1
  • Sad 17

46 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Where I live not many have a license, and I have been here over 20 years and never had to show mine to the police. Who knows maybe one day they will ask me, I hope they know what one looks like.

Ha......out in the sticks, 7 hours north of Bangkok, and had to show mine (or did i just proffer it?) three times in a year

• Thanks 1

From reading it, it looks like it was  'nearly' killed nurse (no injury apart from a scare) , so, he basically has a fine for 5000 for bad, careless  driving and no license. i seriously doubt that he could have got much more.

That said, if he had hit the nurse, i'd say 5 years up dependent on injury, AND made to pay full hospital bills AND personal injury claims AND crush what was left of his auto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, new2here said:

I’ve long advocated for (civil) forfeiture of vehicles (or other assets) used while in the commission of these types of crimes.. The state can then sell them off and funds proportionally go to the victim.

If the vehicle is damaged, then any insurance settlement should be garnished/levied by the state so that the state again takes it - and the victims are compensated.

Im also a fan of minimum determinate sentencing .. so that the judges at least have a minimum or floor that must be part of sentencing and while i do think judges should retain discretion, I think that it’s fair for the public to have some minimum sentence imposed and not be subject to judicial discretion.

Agree....it is a no brainer.

If these halfwits thought they would lose their bikes things would change overnight.........(or the RTP would get even wealthier?)

• Like 2

The courts really need to make an example of these people,

who are just reckless drivers, don't care about anyone else

on the road or crossing it, 

If things are to change ,even a little ,some of the worst offenders,

need to go to prison for multiple years, probation is not going to

change anyone's bad driving habits, I am sure within the next 12

months ,this guy's going to see the inside of a court again ,no second

chance, jail him.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Agree....it is a no brainer.

If these halfwits thought they would lose their bikes things would change overnight.........(or the RTP would get even wealthier?)

Yup, it’s kind of like a lesson many of us learned from mom/dad at a very early age… If you abuse something or don’t use it correctly, then it will be taken away from you.  

I think it’s that simple. 

The main issue for me isn’t so much the fact that the offender looses the asset, but that i think the state has the overriding obligation to safeguard the public.. and once found guilty, then I can make a clear case for the seizure under the logic that the convicted as now demonstrated their a) unwillingness or b) inability to safety use said asset - and in doing so, presents a safety risk to the public… and the seizure serves as a mitigation of that repeated risk.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The courts really need to make an example of these people,

who are just reckless drivers, don't care about anyone else

on the road or crossing it, 

If things are to change ,even a little ,some of the worst offenders,

need to go to prison for multiple years, probation is not going to

change anyone's bad driving habits, I am sure within the next 12

months ,this guy's going to see the inside of a court again ,no second

chance, jail him.

regards worgeordie

You are hopeful at 12 months I reckon half that

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

halved on admission

admitting the crime equates to less work for the court and prosecutors, and therefore he is rewarded.

That's the system. It ensures a light workload and a repeat criminal. Victim is not part of the system.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Thai justice, waiting for the guy to kill someone before any serious consequences.

And even then, nothing will change.

As I experienced a few years ago with my partner's sister, who was also run over by such an idiot.

There was some bickering about the amount to be paid, and that was all.

But today, i saw some videos on youtube, named "Bad driving Thailand" .....your mouth falls open in surprise.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:02 AM, edwinchester said:

And that is why things will never improve on Thai roads.....depressing reading.

If you follow the news elsewhere, the same court decisions are the same in many countries.
Not just Thailand.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:57 AM, new2here said:

... Im also a fan of minimum determinate sentencing .. so that the judges at least have a minimum or floor that must be part of sentencing and while i do think judges should retain discretion, I think that it’s fair for the public to have some minimum sentence imposed and not be subject to total judicial discretion and to ensure that some minimum uniformity in sentences will prevail. 

I'm sure individual judges have their own minimum or floor for the contents of the brown envelope.  One has to be careful when price fixing.