8 Million International Visitors Expected to Travel to Thailand This Year

webfact

Those tourists that do come are going to be hugely disappointed. Rows of shops with their shutters down and other closed down facilities don't really contribute to a happy holiday experience.

On my recent visit I was very surpised to see a previously very busy 7/11 had closed down. Even more of a shock was to see that The Dynasty Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4, otherwise known as 'Mongering Central' was closed  - permanently or temporarily I know not but that's a real barometer of the current situation for one group of tourists.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Your answer is in the OP, 444,000 came in first 3  months and they project 341,000 in the 2nd Quarter.

So that's 785,000 in first 6 months which leaves 7,215,000 to come in the last half of the year lol

Yes--and certainly not good that the second quarter numbers are expected to drop from the first quarter numbers.  Shouldn't they at least be increasing if they hope to hit 8 million?

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes--and certainly not good that the second quarter numbers are expected to drop from the first quarter numbers.  Shouldn't they at least be increasing if they hope to hit 8 million?

Well I understand Russia was the biggest visitor in first quarter so they had to adjust for that

I long ago stopped reading anything about what TAT says. Life is too short to read the same fairytale over and over again. I suppose they have to go through the motions to remain in their job, but it's like being a weather forecaster - no matter how many times you get it wrong you're never fired.

• Like 1

8 Million people may possibly set foot on Thai soil this year.

But of those 8 Million only about 2 Million will actually stay and spend some Money.

Most of them will be transient through the Country on there way to other destinations or as a short stop over on a Long Haul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Here in Pattaya, there are row upon row of closed restaurants and massage shops and bars.  Do you think that these bankrupt businesses will suddenly come back to life? 

Not to forget the former employees. - My ex-girlfriend, just to name one example, was a successful administrator in an (outbound-) tourism business with a good salary. When the pandemic hit, the company folded and she was unemployed within a a few months (just doing cancellations by then). She decided to take over the family farm and get rich from growing vegetables. She's not going back to an office job...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Visions of grandure and delusions spring to mind.  When the year ends can I sue him in court for promoting false information....

You have more chances of being successful in suing Putin over the invasion of Ukraine. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not to forget the former employees. - My ex-girlfriend, just to name one example, was a successful administrator in an (outbound-) tourism business with a good salary. When the pandemic hit, the company folded and she was unemployed within a a few months (just doing cancellations by then). She decided to take over the family farm and get rich from growing vegetables. She's not going back to an office job...

This is brilliant as there will always be a market for vegetables that can be exported. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Fly to Thailand, PCR test on entry after spending 1-2 days of your holiday in a hotel jail, Wear a mask at the beach in 40 degree weather, put up with random bans and no nightlife.  Enjoy folks.

And statements like this have been barfed out endlessly by people who actually went on holidays in Thailand.  

It isn't worth it and if you think it is, you were dropped on your head as an infant.

• Like 2

Seriously, someone with far better math skills (it would not require much), please help me understand. 34 billion baht generated by 444,000 tourists. So, each one generated how much?

Edited by wwest5829

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Seriously, someone with far better math skills (it would not require much), please help me understand. 34 billion baht generated by 444,000 tourists. So, each one generated how much?

76,576 baht. Sounds reasonable for a two-week holiday.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So that's an average of 27,750 per day, each and every day.

Current run rate is, let's say, 11,000 per day.

So they're counting on ~ 4 million all arriving on 31 December right?

you no unnersan thai math.

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

77,272 baht. Sounds reasonable for a two-week holiday.

Yes, that does sound reasonable. I’ll be spending a bit more for this month on Koh Samui but then, .I live here and have a retirement budget to deal with as no earned income helps as it did earlier.