Seahorse Ferry

pontious

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Bangkok Airways about 7,300 baht return, so two people 14,600 baht. Add in a night's accommodation on the way down as you wouldn't want to do that drive in one hit, maybe 2,000 baht, so 16,600. Add in fuel - 3,000 baht minimum? So 19,600 baht.. Add in the cost of car rental in Samui while you are there (1,000 baht per day currently) and you would be over 25k for a week's trip.

14,000 baht is not massively cheaper but is a fair bit cheaper. And a hell of a lot less stress. It's not a journey that I need to make - I last drove to Samui two years ago and took two nights to break up the journey - but if I wanted to do it again I would definitely consider driving to Sattahip and taking the ferry for a stress free journey, have some food and a few beers and wake up there.

I don't think price is their USP.

Ok, that's all direct and the probably most convenient way. But I'd reckon train and bus to Chumphon or even flying to Surat Thani and take the ferry is much cheaper (possibly half price)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

"and a car"... That's the whole difference it makes. Drive down the motorway stress-free to Sattahip, board at leisure, relax and enjoy live music while dining on deck, sleep soundly and disembark in Nathon the next morning. Sure, it is pricey, but it beats the alternatives. The most convenient if money is no issue but time is limited would be flying, which will cost considerably more if factoring a car rental in Samui. The cheapskate option would be the train or bus to Surat Thani.

Driving down the coast by way of Hua Hin and Chumpon used to take us 3 days, on the infamously murderous Thai road network. And on occasion, we would miss the last Seatrans ferry in Donsak, or could not book a passage until the next day, etc.

In our case, the ferry is awesome. The car is always chock-full of stuff, either items of domestic comfort that we take along for our stay, or stuff that we bring to install in the house, or stuff that we take back from the house to reinstall in another property elsewhere...

We just disembarked from the Blue Dolphin in Sattahip this morning, and were back in Bangkok for lunch. I would not fight with Seahorse Ferry if they offered discounts for Samui residents etc., but I merely pray that they keep sailing for many years.

Hopefully they will add the Songkhla route again also, it's a brilliant service. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, LogicThai said:

"and a car"... That's the whole difference it makes. Drive down the motorway stress-free to Sattahip, board at leisure, relax and enjoy live music while dining on deck, sleep soundly and disembark in Nathon the next morning. Sure, it is pricey, but it beats the alternatives. The most convenient if money is no issue but time is limited would be flying, which will cost considerably more if factoring a car rental in Samui. The cheapskate option would be the train or bus to Surat Thani.

Driving down the coast by way of Hua Hin and Chumpon used to take us 3 days, on the infamously murderous Thai road network. And on occasion, we would miss the last Seatrans ferry in Donsak, or could not book a passage until the next day, etc.

In our case, the ferry is awesome. The car is always chock-full of stuff, either items of domestic comfort that we take along for our stay, or stuff that we bring to install in the house, or stuff that we take back from the house to reinstall in another property elsewhere...

We just disembarked from the Blue Dolphin in Sattahip this morning, and were back in Bangkok for lunch. I would not fight with Seahorse Ferry if they offered discounts for Samui residents etc., but I merely pray that they keep sailing for many years.

You're right. I'm not saying the ferry service is bad. Just not suits my requirements, budget wise. I have no problem renting a scooter on Samui, so flying to Surat Thani and then take the ferry would be my choice. Train I've also done before if time was no constraint.

I've joined this discussion rather late.  In a few weeks I will need to go from Koh Phangan on a one-way trip to Pattaya in my car.  I normally take the ferry over to Don Sak and then drive all the way, stopping overnight near Chumpon, paying for 500 baht hotel, petrol and motorway tolls through Bangkok.

What would be the approximate price for a one-way ticket from Samui to Satthip on this ferry for a standard car and driver (no passengers, with a VIP seat on the ferry?

Yes, I will download the app/LINE messaging if I want to book, but an approximate total price for the above is appreciated!

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've joined this discussion rather late.  In a few weeks I will need to go from Koh Phangan on a one-way trip to Pattaya in my car.  I normally take the ferry over to Don Sak and then drive all the way, stopping overnight near Chumpon, paying for 500 baht hotel, petrol and motorway tolls through Bangkok.

What would be the approximate price for a one-way ticket from Samui to Satthip on this ferry for a standard car and driver (no passengers, with a VIP seat on the ferry?

Yes, I will download the app/LINE messaging if I want to book, but an approximate total price for the above is appreciated!

Car: THB 2000

VIP seat: THB 2800

12 hours ago, HammerMan said:

Obviously you can't please everyone

I'd happily join the 97% if there was a website that opened and I could see the schedule and book a ticket. Not a Facebook user; is there another option, perhaps a phone number or email? I rode my Honda Click up to Pattaya from Phuket and would prefer a boat ride to three days on that seat again. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I'd happily join the 97% if there was a website that opened and I could see the schedule and book a ticket. Not a Facebook user; is there another option, perhaps a phone number or email? I rode my Honda Click up to Pattaya from Phuket and would prefer a boat ride to three days on that seat again. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, HammerMan said:

FYI- The Seahorse Website is currently down, temporarily, for relaunching a new, better and secure website in the coming weeks. All/Any communication can be through following links: https://www.facebook.com/fb.theseahorseferryofficial     and   https://lin.ee/t0PNYOR   

18 hours ago, HammerMan said:

It's interesting to see the constant comparisons on prices..  Assuming say 2 people travelling to Samui from Sattahip by car the basic cost is Baht 2500/person and Baht 2000 for the car. This entitles the passengers to economy class style reclining aircraft seats in an air-conditioned area. Upgrades to VIP seating (business class type aircraft seats) or comfort sleeping pods are affordable. Rooms are limited and in very high demand, but despite the apparent high prices, please note that this includes the ticket price of baht 2500/person.. i.e. in reality not that expensive. Hidden savings are vehicle fuel cost/wear and tare, hotels enroute and finally you still pay for a ferry to the island. Flying is undoubtedly quicker, not necessarily cheaper and you have no car. Obviously you can't please everyone, but to date we've had a 97% success rate based on passengers ratings and comments. As someone in the industry for 50+ years I can say the vessel has the best safety equipment/training of any similar vessel in the world. The vessel was recently inspected by a retired US Coast Guard who complimented us on every aspect of safety. I understand for some people the voyage seems long, but it is overnight and there's lots to do onboard. We are limited to docking and undocking in daylight due to regulations, so my recommendation is to relax, enjoy the sea air and experience a mini cruise feeling. 

As a Hat Yai resident I do hope that you haven't completely abandoned all plans for a route to Songkhla. Please? ????

On 4/12/2023 at 7:00 AM, Bobthegimp said:

Please try: https://lin.ee/t0PNYOR

On 4/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, nrasmussen said:

As a Hat Yai resident I do hope that you haven't completely abandoned all plans for a route to Songkhla. Please? ????

The problem with Songkhla is not really us, we see the potential there, but the issue is the fishing nets/posts strewn across the shipping channel, which make it difficult to safely navigate to the inner berth.

The berths near the entrance to the lake cannot agree with a fixed schedule, so it's "hit and miss" with their availability, that makes planning extremely difficult.

The local government are aware of these issues and are trying their best to find a solution to a complex situation. We meanwhile wait and see, but realistically with the current global situation and climbing oil prices, pricing will have to be significantly higher and therefore less attractive.

We definitely take the matter seriously and will happily cooperate with local representatives in Songkhla and Hat Yai.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

Please try: https://lin.ee/t0PNYOR

Line and Facebook do rather attract a younger clientele. I would never use it. I think you will loose quite some business by not having a professional website.

Granted, it seems to have a real good web design might pose a problem in Thailand for even large companies have terrible web designs - but I am sure this would help to boost the reputation, attractiveness and professionality of your service. But it must be visually attractive and not overloaded with dozens of fonts and colors, easy to use and for payment two factor authorization required etc.....

I wish you much sucess. May your cabins be available if you finally got your website working.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/14/2023 at 1:48 PM, moogradod said:

Line and Facebook do rather attract a younger clientele. I would never use it. I think you will loose quite some business by not having a professional website.

Granted, it seems to have a real good web design might pose a problem in Thailand for even large companies have terrible web designs - but I am sure this would help to boost the reputation, attractiveness and professionality of your service. But it must be visually attractive and not overloaded with dozens of fonts and colors, easy to use and for payment two factor authorization required etc.....

I wish you much sucess. May your cabins be available if you finally got your website working.

Thanks for the comment. You are totally correct and we are trying to resolve this ASAP. The delay is mainly due to the Banks linking payment methods, in particular credit card payments. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, HammerMan said:

FYG - Sunday is last sailing from Samui before vessel Blue Dolphin proceeds to dry-docking at Laemchabang .

Currently there are no sailings planned for July, but this is Thailand and things frequently change, and service to/from Samui will resume in August.
At this point in time it's still undecided if this will be from Sattahip or Bangkok as options are still under discussion/negotiation.

Further updates coming.

Interesting, Bangkok from what port?

On 6/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, CLW said:

Interesting, Bangkok from what port?

So is it the case that this service will now depart from Bkk rather than Sattahip? We tried to use it years back when everything was snarled from the flu, and never had success. This year we did our southern tour in January and tried to start with the ferry to Samui, but it was not in service. Then after a month plus on the orad we were in Samui and tried to take the ferry back to Sattahip, but it was....not in service. Unfortunately, I have had to shelve the idea of traveling on it as it has been years now and never can buy a ticket. Now if it is moving to Bkk then that makes it all the less likely. We will spend the next few years holidays going West, East and North so it will be some years before we look to go south again...see what things look like then. Nice to see it has found some niche in the market, but we were just never destined to use it I guess, so hard to get onboard just had to move on.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This ferry has spent years on end not being in service (but still paying bills).....I can not see how they could ever recover financially.....

Yep, lots of bills.

They're spending a fortune advertising on the local radio station FM 103. 

16 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This ferry has spent years on end not being in service (but still paying bills).....I can not see how they could ever recover financially.....

The owners don't appear to be strapped for cash and have a long term vision for the service. The fellow posting on their behalf seems like a decent fellow with a good understanding of the industry.  I don't see how it can become profitable but I wish them well and all success with their endeavour. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HammerMan said:

The ferry completed the dry dock and endless surveys/inspections and is currently at anchor outside Sattahip port. The plan is still to revive the Samui service but there are ongoing discussions with various commercial partners, alternative port options etc. Bangkok was a bust as there is no suitable/practical jetty available. Delays have arisen due to changes is government departments, more rules and ongoing requests. During this month a final decision will be made, one way or another.

I remember how Transport Canada was with changing rules and regulations over the last 25 years, and the cost of compliance with those rules.  The system here must be even more byzantine. 

Maybe set up a service in the Philippines, where they pack 4500 passengers onto a 300 passenger ferry. 

• Like 1