Visa exempt 30 days uk national rejected

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why is it immigrations fault when somebody stays here on a visa to study, which he then doesn't do and find it pretty normal to do so? He should be locked up and deported when he offered cash to get in to the country.

I love the sarcasm, good one!!

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why is it immigrations fault when somebody stays here on a visa to study, which he then doesn't do and find it pretty normal to do so? He should be locked up and deported when he offered cash to get in to the country.

Agreed. The moral of the strory is don't push your luck! Clearly OP was here on false pretences (ED Visa yet not studying) immigration might be greedy and difficult but they ain't stupid. Best to get a proper visa. In well over 100 entries on visa exempt, NON-O marriage, tourist and now retirement, never once have I been questioned or hassled by immigration.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

"get the correct visa", "don't abuse the system", "deport him" blah blah blah

such responses are old and tired and were done to death pre-Covid. time to get some new material boys.

What's funny is the fact that not only is Thailand super corrupt and therefore people aren't really abusing anything, but in this example the IO accepted a bribe. I dare say people will try and twist it into making the IO some kind of victim, but we know how things are.

I often wonder how these people can bear to live in Thailand if they have such a problem with corruption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Very true. I regret not studying the language and the written alphabet when I first arrived. Too late now, but I manage to order food and give taxi drivers directions. 

Easier than ever. Download Pocket Thai Master; you’ll have the alphabet licked in no time, wherein all info on tones and sounds lies.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

OMG, they are running low to tourists and still engaged in pre-covid  shenanigans. 

Immigration officers are unconcerned about lack of tourists to the kingdom. In fact it makes their job easier. Regards op, you can see why there was an issue and easier for them to pick up on it with fewer customers.

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Immigration officers are unconcerned about lack of tourists to the kingdom.

Not exactly, or rather it isn't really so important what each individual IO thinks. If their bosses instructed them to be more lenient, they would be. So there is some logic to the idea of Thailand being more lenient visa wise, to allow more tourists.

12 hours ago, JFHuaHin said:

Very subtle done

Payment was made to a agent I have used for years and she will pass it on to them.

It was not easy , you can see that they much more careful about being seen to accept admin fees.

I offered to pay in cash there and then but it was not accepted.

Guess it's time for a marriage of convienents

That is the correct way to handle it (when allowed to buy yourself in at all). It protects both you and the helpful official. Believe it or not, it breaks no law to pay an agent to assist you in overcoming immigration issues. Further, assuming the agent gives a gift to a close relative of the official (rather than paying the official directly) again no laws are broken when, coincidentally, the official decides to exercise their discretion in allowing you to enter.

Had you made a voluntary gift to the official yourself directly, it would have placed both you and the official in legal jeopardy.

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

"get the correct visa", "don't abuse the system", "deport him" blah blah blah

such responses are old and tired and were done to death pre-Covid. time to get some new material boys.

Advising people to get the correct visa is good advice , because if you get the wrong visa, you may get refused entry into Thailand .

Would you advise people to get the wrong visa ?

Update.

All good, PCR result back in 3 hours

Quick visit to 7/1 Sukhumvit, back to hotel and taxi to hua hin.

House keepers daughter now tucking to Kipling cakes and other treats.

Marriage visa should be sorted soon to a good friend of over ten years

A solution that suits both parties .

Good luck to anyone else, hope the information in first post is useful to some.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

OMG, they are running low to tourists and still engaged in pre-covid  shenanigans. 

If a first time tourist was treated like this, sure they'd never come back again, but the IO knows the OP is not one, and even after all this,  he'd come back again 

16 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

That's my point, if people below 50 can show proof they can support themselves (800k in account or 65k monthly), why would the government not want them to stay?

I've never thought of it before, but it would be good if they could come up with some kind of long stay visa for guys under 50 who can prove they meet a certain income level.

I wouldn't say 65K is a good number as those guys probably still need to save for their pensions (whereas most guys over 50 probably have this covered already) but maybe something like 100K in provable income? 

NB I'm 56 & live here on a Non-Imm O so have no dog in this fight but it strikes me as a Win/Win for Thailand & guys who can genuinely support themselves without having to work "off book" in Thailand. 

21 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Not really, I know quite a few married guys who's wives spoke reasonable English when they met - they just say they can't be bothered to learn and leave everything official to their wives to do.

Reckon more a thing of the past. A little bit sad if folks can’t be bothered to speak and integrate a bit to be honest. Perhaps one of the many reasons the junta is tightening up.  

23 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People just need to get the correct visa for the purpose of their visit 

Which is what? I never got quizzed arriving in Bangkok until I got a METV, which seemed the appropriate visa for someone spending time in Thailand and other countries in the region. Once my METV was about to expire (last entry), communication between IOs started, whether to interrogate me...

16 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I would say it is pretty unusual not to be able to speak at least basic Thai after 17 years

Sure basic Thai .. but what is basic Thai. 

I mean i can talk a bit but if they start using words that I dont know and go fast im lost. Most shopping and basic conversation is ok but really basic. My Thai is far from perfect and when dealing with the government its not sufficient. When shopping some fun conversations during fishing im sure it is ok.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

That's my point, if people below 50 can show proof they can support themselves (800k in account or 65k monthly), why would the government not want them to stay?

Many people under 50 own properties, companies or inherited and have passive income that is enough to live by. The difference is they can have a better quality of life here than in their home countries for the same amount of money. Some people also want to take a couple of years off work and enjoy life a bit.

I don't see the reason why they wouldn't create a visa category for these people. I had Elite visa, it was good but I won't pay this price anymore for a visa with extra services.

There are visas for these people:

Property => investment visa

Company => B visa

Can support themselves => elite visa

<deleted> poor people => go somewhere else

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

The problem with people abusing the system is that it doesn't make it easier for the people who stick to the regulations but get bogged down by suspicions.

How does someone abusing a TR visa or non-exempt entry affect someone else on annual extensions or on a WP-enabled Non-O?

None of the dozens of long-time lurkers I know in Thailand that have kept their Thai immigration status totally legal and above board has ever experienced extra scrutiny, questioning or anything suggesting they are being suspected of pulling a fast one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

There are visas for these people:

Property => investment visa

Company => B visa

Can support themselves => elite visa

<deleted> poor people => go somewhere else

I was more talking of people who have assets abroad and want to live in Thailand. Anyway, there is Elite visa yes. It's just a big bullet to bite for a visa.

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Very true. I regret not studying the language and the written alphabet when I first arrived. Too late now, but I manage to order food and give taxi drivers directions. 

Why is it too late? 

• Like 1