Summer storm warning for many parts of Thailand on Monday

webfact

5BE50296-1C18-4124-8E4A-2EA124D46C6C.jpg

The Meteorological Department is warning of freak summer storms in many parts of the country, due to a moderately high pressure system, or cold front, from China, which is now covering northern Thailand and the South China Sea.

A summer storm, usually occurring between March and April, is characterised by strong winds, rainfall, hail in some areas, isolated heavy rain and thunder and lightning, said the department, as it advised people not to say in open fields, not to take shelter under large trees nor remain near a billboards or weak structures.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Farmers are advised to protect their crops, which may sustain damage from hail.

In Pai district of the northernmost province of Mae Hong Son, the district chief officer has instructed all village heads to assess damage to houses and crops after a heavy hailstorm hit the district yesterday (Sunday).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/summer-storm-warning-for-many-parts-of-thailand-on-monday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Drove south from BKK this am. No traffic southbound but still heavy traffic northbound.  Light rain in a few spots on Hwy 4. Stopped on Pranburi and were eating lunch. Looking like the rain will be off and on by the look of it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

coldfront, from China, which is now covering northern Thailand 

Good present…And free of charge.

I think I will be staying home for a while as I went to the bank today and many people were coughing their heads off. Stay safe everyone.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing 'freak' about it, as rainy season usually starts after Songkran.

The Rain GODs answering the call ... it's not just tourism water fights

New year

new life, wash the sins away

new rains for 

new planting season

Now ... new air, knock the smog down ... ????

I remember 8-10 years ago, when I lived there. In Bangkok we never had a drop of rain from November until May.

As long as it didn't flood, I used to love a good downpour, it would seem like the temperature had dropped 10C in 10 minutes, not so stinking hot, nice and 'fresh'.

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing 'freak' about it, as rainy season usually starts after Songkran.

The Rain GODs answering the call ... it's not just tourism water fights

New year

new life, wash the sins away

new rains for 

new planting season

Now ... new air, knock the smog down ... ????

The reference to freakish or odd comes by the way of the more traditional period when the "rainy" season didn't really kick in until very late into June. Rain throughout March and April was quite unusual, as the hot months begin their cycle. 

Anyone with any experience and exposure to the last three plus decades understands that it's quite common and off kilter that the rains seem to start up consistently start up before or soon after the Songkran period. Even the so called dry/coolish period of "winter" have seen more and more unusually wet January and February of the last decade. 

Back when, many farming circles [that are weather dependent] could intuitively set their calendars to their growing seasonal farming practices.......not so much the case anymore. It's all a challenge and a guess for the post-Songkran period.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I remember 8-10 years ago, when I lived there. In Bangkok we never had a drop of rain from November until May.

8 years ago was 2014. A terrible drought year.

Here west of Khon Kaen strong thunderstorm with heavy but short rain yesterday.

Short power outage.

This afternoon little thunder/lightning, moderate rain but for three hours. Long power outage :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Drove onto the Nana Beach Area of Chumpon about 5 pm.  No rain from Pranburi to here. Daughter swimming in the resorts pool.  Will be headed towards Phang Nga after breakfast and if we find rain we will push to Phuket.

Beautiful evening tonight.

20220418_182402.jpg

20220418_185453.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

8 years ago was 2014. A terrible drought year.

Here west of Khon Kaen strong thunderstorm with heavy but short rain yesterday.

Short power outage.

This afternoon little thunder/lightning, moderate rain but for three hours. Long power outage :biggrin:

When I was in Bangkok in 1985/86 there was always a power outage when it rained, not so nowadays.

• Like 1

Don't know where y'all live, but I'm pretty sure it's rained during April every year (22) I've been here, and every month after till the end of October.  

Probably a bit less here, PKK, 5 ish yrs, than Udon Thani, 16 ish yrs.

Quick peek:

rain.png

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sod-all in Nakhon Pathom, one hour west of Bangkok.

34C and stinking hot, not even a breeze.

34 and stinking hot? Where I live we had 12 days over 40 in row and followed up by another 15 days in the mid thirties

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

34 and stinking hot? Where I live we had 12 days over 40 in row and followed up by another 15 days in the mid thirties

Depends what the "Real Feel" is, 34C with high humidity can be quite miserable. I was in Bahrain/Saudi many years ago when it was around 45C & high humidity. After many years of living in Bangkok, and now living back in the UK, 23C is just right for me. Why? Because in the UK so many places don't have air conditioning.

Getting a nice rain now, and hopefully knock the rest of the smog down.  Keep thing wet enough not to burn, till next rain, hopefully. ????

Rest of week looking comfy ...

image.png.04c28b7699871e2016a415bd275368b3.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 banana bearing "trees" down, one on top of power and internet overhead cables. Freeing that was a bit of a crossed fingers job. Some of these wind gusts aren't funny.

Didn't get to post this yesterday as the Internet went down just after 3 p.m.

Just back now.

Northernmost Khon Kaen, bordering Udon Thani.

• Like 1