"All a misunderstanding": Cops who had coffee and snacks then left without paying

webfact

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Oh dear. Big loss of face.

One suspects that the coffee shop owner might be becoming acquainted with the inside of a plastic bag in the not too distant future.

Fair point.

On the other hand I've got several Thai friends/colleagues who are not afraid of/hate the police/are not frightened of the police/ know who to contact quickly if they feel any intimidation and know there will be action taken.  

• Like 2

I have done this. With open restaurants, especially when stepping outside for a smoke, it is easier to make this mistake here than, say, in the US. Of course, being old and absent minded didn't help. Fortunately, it was a place I visit often, so they knew I would be back in the next day or two, and then politely pointed out my mistake. Paid with a huge tip for the inconvenience to them and a look of embarrassment on my face.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It has now been rectified with the coffee shop assured that it was all a misunderstanding. 

for 200 baht I would have kept quiet... that's gonna cost them a lot more in the future.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Oh dear. Big loss of face.

One suspects that the coffee shop owner might be becoming acquainted with the inside of a plastic bag in the not too distant future.

I was more inclined to think a defamation charge ….

3 hours ago, timendres said:

I have done this. With open restaurants, especially when stepping outside for a smoke, it is easier to make this mistake here than, say, in the US. Of course, being old and absent minded didn't help. Fortunately, it was a place I visit often, so they knew I would be back in the next day or two, and then politely pointed out my mistake. Paid with a huge tip for the inconvenience to them and a look of embarrassment on my face.

It happened to me once at a bar in Washington Square on a Sunday night. On Monday I went up country and came back on the Friday and was presented with my 4,xxx bar bill. I paid it and apologised and they told me that they knew I would be back as it was my regular hangout.

Some how the phrase "Stupid boy, Pike" stuck in my head for weeks after.

• Like 1

It's two thing you have to learn about Thailand , first if you get taken for crime/corruption and are a official it's always a "Misunderstanding" second if you have a car accident then you blame " brakefaliure" live and learn Thaistyle.

Common practice, seen it a lot. A few years back there was a restaurant near Donmuang airport that was frequently visited by a high ranking officer and his buddies and cranked up a 20000Baht bill. 
The woman went to the media as they refused to pay. They were not happy.