Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

6 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

Yes, they use it as 'foreigner' but not asians like chinese, lao or khmer aren't included... It is used as 'white westener' as somebody said, it is derived from the thai word of French... which were the original white westerners in this part of the world.

I agree with the majority of respondents here. I'm not offended by the term "Farang," nor are any of my Farang friends. I also have heard it's origin refers to the French (Franks), which were supposedly the first Westerners (Caucasians/Whites/Foreigners) to come to Thailand.

Edited by billsmart

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

If she doesn’t like farang, then I would think that teaching Thai at a language school is not the best choice of occupation ?

Maybe she is there for the Koreans, Japanese. They are respected more than farang. 

Just now, billsmart said:

I agree with the majority of respondents here. I'm not offended by the term "Farang," nor are any of my Farang friends. I also have heard it's origin refers to the French (Franks), which were supposedly the first Westerners to come to Thailand.

The Franks were Germanic. 

• Confused 1

I don't find it all offensive, but when I am in a rural area of the country and children point at me and call out Farang, Farang, I oint back at them and reply Thai, Thai then everyone just laughs.  Jai yen people, life is too short to be bothered by things like this.

• Like 1

I am a Western living in Thailand and l am not offended by the word and based on others who have commented  nor are they, as such it makes me ask why do you believe Westerners are offended? At the end of the day everything comes down to context, as an example, being Australian l could say (how are you mate) and this would be fine and even polite l could also say (l will smash your …….head in mate) same would different context. Anyway have a good day mate. 

Edited by Owiee

12 minutes ago, Purdey said:

After a while you get used to people separating you out by a word that says you are a foreigner. Whether you believe it means ferengi or farangses it means "you are not one of us." You are different. And the difference is the colour of your skin.

While westerners have the word foreigner, and so do Thais, farang means different based on skin colour. Just like the Thai nickname for Indians (khek). It isn't a pejorative in their eyes but it separates you clearly from other races.

I agree with you, the full idiomatic expression is ฝรั่งสีขาว = foreigner of white color. My girlfriend calls me like that 'cause she's jealous of my skin tone ! All of her family refer to me as khun johnny, even when they're speaking of me over the phone. BTW none of them can read and write but obviously were taught good manners somehow.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with the word Farang but everything with the intonation and the facial expression when people use it.  You can almost feel and see the aversion when some Thai people use the word "Farang".  It is the same as when some "Farang" talk about "Thai". Look at their faces and the intonation they use. it says ALL.

• Like 1

To really understand being called "farang", requires an understanding of Thai language & culture where its common for dozens of pronouns for the same person depending on the scenario, context, age difference.

This concept doesn't really exist in western language to the extent it does in Thai. This might be why it sounds offensive to the ears and throws some folks for a nasty spin.

In America, I've never been called "customer" before, but here its possible (something like khun luukkha). I see complete strangers calling others "uncle" (loong), "aunt" (pa), or if you're really old dta/yai (grandpa/grandma)....

This is absolutely not normal in english, and would probably offend many westerners in the group if they were called "Uncle" or "Grandpa" by a stranger, but in Thailand its 100% legit and not-offensive.

35 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

i am not offended by Farang ever but the official word used by immigration is much more offending

ALIEN??  do we come from mars are we green ? where we parc our UFO?

This is the problem with much of the discussion in this thread...  Too many people are unknowing of the the true etymology of the word Farang, does it even really make a difference? other than to debate/thread oneupmanship ?

Some people misinterpret its use which can range anywhere from innocently ignorant and harmless to down right derogatory depending on situation and intent. 

As far as the word ‘alien’ is concerned.. no it does not mean 'Extra-Terrestrial’ in the context of immigration documents... Alien simply means foreigner. 

Edited by richard_smith237

This word as mentioned- farang- as described so conflicted because this word coming from persian word as they say ( farangi ) this is a word from ancient tenses who persians called westerners as farangi - i asked and investigate from a linguistic teacher 

5 hours ago, Silencer said:

I am not personally offended by the term, although tone and context does seem to make a difference in how I assess its use. However, I am rarely (I can't recall the last time) referred directly as a "farang", and never called that by name one on one. I have heard "many farang like this style" in a store when discussing home designs, which indirectly is calling me a farang. I'm Khun (name) to most people that know me and called no name by people that don't know me (eye contact and speak) or a polite "sir" by some. I see the term used most often when Thais are generically speaking of white foreigners and have heard myself referenced as such between two Thais (that don't know my name) talking between themselves, which does not offend me. To my face, hardly ever. Whether they call me "it" behind my back, I could care less. I can think of a lot of terms I would use, behind their back, of people I have met here, Thai and farang. 

The it (mun) thing is not exclusive to farang. That is a total misconception. It is used across the board regardless of ethnicity/origin. Thais refer to fellow Thais as mun too. It is colloquial usage, but may sometimes have a negative inference (context). Such as when referring to some of stupid things the Prime Minister says and does, one may say "he is crazy", but use "it" instead of "he". 

I think the confusion may be caused by potatos aka manfarang.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the problem with much of the discussion in this thread...  Too many people are unknowing of the the true etymology of the word Farang, does it really make a difference. 

Then some people misinterpret its use which can range anywhere from innocently ignorant and harmless to down right derogatory depending on situation and intent. 

As far as the word ‘alien’ is concerned.. no it does not mean 'Extra-Terrestrial’ in the context of immigration documents... Alien simply means foreigner. 

ET used to be a poster on here ????

6 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

You are falang.  Not your country!  No rights.  Dirty.  Scary.  Dangerous.  Rich.  Sexpat.  Pedo.  

falang.   Hahahahahahahaha.     Never trust falang.    He speak ABC.   Lol

do you actually know what a falang is? A Falang is the Thai word for the fruit we know as Guava.  A farang ( spelt with an R not an L ) is Thai for a white skinned foreigner. So please at the very least know what we are and cease calling yourself and other white foreigners Guava.

• Like 1

I don't see the problem. Farang is a descriptive term for a white western foreigner. It identifies what you look like and your culture. It is no different to calling a black man Negro or a white man Caucasian. So when someone is trying to find you the Thai person will say "yes he is the Farang over there". I am considered to be a 'White Buffalo' in the Issan region which could be construed as mildly insulting but is used in a humerous manner between friends and aquaintances and i use it to describe myself too.

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I might be wrong but I believe it is historically based when the French were in Lao and Cambodia. Farangses. French.

I think you are right, my wife said the same thing.

It is even suggested in the OP, "according to linguists, is just a Thai transliteration of Franks."

With all the Jocks, Paddys, Yanks etc around there must be an awful lot people feeling offended. 

13 hours ago, Mickc said:

I have no problem being called "farang" when the people dont know my name or who I am. I did have an issue with my wife's family calling me "farang"  when they knew eaxtcly who I was. Especially when they were referring to me directly, like asking my wife if I want to eat. (Is the farang hungry?)

I explained to my wife that I is the equivalent of my parents calling you "the thai girl" when they talk to me about our life. (We travel between Aus and thailand a lot)

So I i think It depends on the situation and the relationship.

@Mickc  exactly. they will still refer to you as farang even when they know your name, which to me proves all thais use it in a derogatory way.  im not offended by it but it just reminds me of what thai really think of us.  

• Like 1