Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, marino28 said:

Many problem for used electric in the future. 

With a current lifespan of 2500 cycles, 500k+ kms, and that's conservative, I'm pretty sure we'll get our baht's worth,   How much is any car worth in 20+ years.  

If they come out with a reasonably priced (750kms range) pick up truck, we may have to make room in the car port for 2 vehicles.   I'm thinking camper conversion :coffee1:

LFP Battery cycle.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, marino28 said:

Another very interesting news.

https://m.arenaev.com/chinese_automaker_gac_eyes_2026_for_solidstate_battery_evs-news-3403.php

gac Aion plan to use solid state battery from 2026

look like the technological advance in the next few year will be quite major. 

Many problem for used electric in the future. 

At the BKK motor show in 2018 I only saw one EV, the 40 kWh Nissan Leaf with a 8 second 0-100km/h for ฿2m. 

A few months ago I bought a BYD Seal AWD with an 85kWh gross battery and a 3.8 second 0-100km/h for ฿1.6m

Technology changes, EVs get better and cheaper all the time resulting in many more  problems for used ICE cars in the future.

My car comes with 8 years of car and battery warranty and 8 years of free servicing. So I will be keeping for 8 years at least. If the resale price after that is too low, I will use it’s 6 Tesla Powerwalls of battery storage to keep me off-grid.

leaf_final_call_banner_price.jpeg.8bbcb9546bf9f9d4005195bdf5224769.jpeg

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Oil is a huge cash cow for all governments, including the Thai government taxing 30 baht diesel ️. 

2908814.jpg

Unfortunately the data you used is nearly 6 years out of date. The State Oil Fund today would be a significant negative in your figures  - good try though :clap2:

Tax.thumb.jpg.e2f00105d3dd038241aae4c693e7d1d5.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s a BYD which was not given much coverage, originally destined for the taxi market has now been added to the Rêver list of available EV’s and with a healthy discount.

A station wagon with a spacious cabin and large storage space and the BYD trademark quality interior, safety and entertainment features.

IMG_3317.png.70b85b1d82985cbe21dffe8059e0437c.png

IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.336137161b784715fb3866300338720d.jpeg

https://autolifethailand.tv/special-price-byd-e6-ev-bev-rever-automotive/

An alternative to MG EP & ES.

MG EP/ES looks to be a better car, almost double the power although a bigger battery on the e6

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s a BYD which was not given much coverage, originally destined for the taxi market has now been added to the Rêver list of available EV’s and with a healthy discount.

A station wagon with a spacious cabin and large storage space and the BYD trademark quality interior, safety and entertainment features.

I love most BYD models, but that looks dull as dishwater. Definitely designed with taxi fleets in mind.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I love most BYD models, but that looks dull as dishwater. Definitely designed with taxi fleets in mind.

ha, yes it is far from exciting and seems perfect for a taxi or fleet vehicle, seems strange why they would want to release it for the general public.

But, who knows, the price is right and some see the advantage of a decent sized storage area, might see it delivering Lazada and Shopee stuff anytime soon 😀

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I reviewed the e6 2 years ago at the Korat EV motor show. Taxi definitely came to mind. It wasn’t a new car even back then.

IMG_1613.jpeg.070604251be3eac81d9659451a5853f5.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:39 AM, BKKBike09 said:

You can bet that governments will start to tax EV users more aggressively to make up for lost fuel taxes.

The advance of tech will make things like road use pricing much easier to implement. 

As EV adoption ticks up, the subsidised incentives to own are going to evaporate faster than water on a Bangkok pavement in April (bringing this back to EVs in Thailand).

I agree but the petroleum taxes will hike harder to encourage the uptake of ev or any other low polluting engine type.

Classic carrot and stick.

Edited by HighPriority

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I reviewed the e6 2 years ago at the Korat EV motor show. Taxi definitely came to mind. It wasn’t a new car even back then.

IMG_1613.jpeg.070604251be3eac81d9659451a5853f5.jpeg

Take the rear seat out, and a lite 'camper' conversion vs the other 2 vans available (Maxus 9 & Denza D9), that are a bit plush, and priced accordingly, 2.5M range or more.   Waste of money to buy, then strip down something that plush.   

e6 for 1M, much more practical to convert, though much smaller.  But seen others camping is smaller cars, but not for me.  Need something that resembles a bed.

e6 ... 4695 length

Our short MG ZS ... L 4323

MG Maxus 9 ... L 5270

Denzs D9 ,,, L 5250

We'll wait for the EV pick up, with hopefully a proper bed size, not the small beds that most pick ups (ICEV) come with now of days.  Nothing more than a SUV with bed for storage, nothing I'd convert or try to work out of.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Take the rear seat out, and a lite 'camper' conversion vs the other 2 vans available (Maxus 9 & Denza D9), that are a bit plush, and priced accordingly, 2.5M range or more.   Waste of money to buy, then strip down something that plush.   

e6 for 1M, much more practical to convert, though much smaller.  But seen others camping is smaller cars, but not for me.  Need something that resembles a bed.

e6 ... 4695 length

Our short MG ZS ... L 4323

MG Maxus 9 ... L 5270

Denzs D9 ,,, L 5250

We'll wait for the EV pick up, with hopefully a proper bed size, not the small beds that most pick ups (ICEV) come with now of days.  Nothing more than a SUV with bed for storage, nothing I'd convert or try to work out of.

How about this monster  👻?

GLFM4fVWsAAC32b.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How about this monster  👻?

GLFM4fVWsAAC32b.jpeg

It's only a concept and unlikely to make production. Concepts are always outlandish. Odd looking but would be very practical with the wheels right in the corners. Better looking than the horrendous Cybertruck, but that's not saying much. Quirky if we're being kind. I expect it would be massively toned down if it ever does go into production.

The iCar V23 is a production model though and does look very practical and no where near as weird.

There is a whole lot of detail in this new video about Chinese EVs. 

The narration does not seem to be slanted one way or the other.

But a lot of information.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Issanman said:

There is a whole lot of detail in this new video about Chinese EVs. 

The narration does not seem to be slanted one way or the other.

But a lot of information.

China Observer has featured before on these pages, they are very anti CCP.

I only watched the first 4 minutes, but they lost me when one of the clips was repeated but running backwards and another clip showed Mercedes Benz cars being loaded/unloaded in the port.

Above video is based on news articles over the last week or so....like below news articles which gives a good overview of the issue....see weblink for full artilce....a partial quote also below.

https://www.ft.com/content/496f3bfa-9f0c-4145-9024-188572a280fd

https://www.ft.com/content/496f3bfa-9f0c-4145-9024-188572a280fd

European ports turned into ‘car parks’ as vehicle imports pile up
Imported vehicles are piling up at European ports, turning them into “car parks” as automakers and distributors struggle with a slowdown in sales and logistical bottlenecks including the lack of truck drivers.

Port and car industry executives have pointed to a pile-up of Chinese electric cars as one of the leading causes of the problem, with some companies booking shipping delivery slots without ordering onward transportation. In other instances, carmakers in general are struggling to order trucks because of the lack of drivers and equipment to move the vehicles on.

“Car distributors are increasingly using the port’s car parks as a depot. Instead of stocking the cars at the dealers, they are collected at the car terminal,” said the Port of Antwerp-Bruges, whose port at Zeebrugge is Europe’s busiest port for car imports. “All major car ports” were struggling with congestion, the port added, without specifying the origin of the vehicles. Some car industry executives said Chinese carmakers were not selling their vehicles in Europe as fast as they expected, which was a big contributor to the glut at the region’s ports.

“Chinese EV makers are using ports like car parks,” said one car supply chain manager.......

2 hours ago, Issanman said:

Discounted prices for new Teslas that are already in inventory showing up online.

Mostly model Y. I saw discounts from 50~200K฿ listed.

https://www.tesla.com/en_TH/inventory/new/my?arrangeby=plh&zip=&range=0

To be expected with most people waiting for project juniper to be launched very soon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I thought I was tough on cars in the past.   He needs to tow that out, put in on a proper road, after he washes it, if he expects his ins. co. to cover it :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

Looks like a hybrid. I think I see a tailpipe. There has been quite a few reports of BYD hybrids catching fire.

Notice also the fire starting in the engine compartment rather than battery pack which would have been located on the bottom of the car.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Looks like a hybrid. I think I see a tailpipe. There has been quite a few reports of BYD hybrids catching fire.

Notice also the fire starting in the engine compartment rather than battery pack which would have been located on the bottom of the car.

Does BYD sell hybrids here? It looks like a hitch of some kind to me. 

A gasoline fire burns black from the get.