Electric Vehicles in Thailand

Just now, vinny41 said:

Clearly you didn't bother to read the link or you would have understood the article you might be in the same position in the future

I have not intentions of driving through water in any vehicle.  Simply will never have the need to.

Did it once in Vios or Mazda 2 and had to replace the wheel bearings.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have not intentions of driving through water in any vehicle.  Simply will never have the need to.

Did it once in Vios or Mazda 2 and had to replace the wheel bearings.

And if you had bothered to read the article the driver in the article was 100% positive that neither him or his wife had driven through water Didn't stop the MG dealership claiming initially claiming there was water moisture in the battery that required full battery replacement

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

And if you had bothered to read the article the driver in the article was 100% positive that neither him or his wife had driven through water Didn't stop the MG dealership claiming initially claiming there was water moisture in the battery that required full battery replacement

And I'd say the same thing if car still under warranty, and battery needed replacement.  And a dealer trying to get out of an expensive repair ... shock surprise.

Why I rarely read this thread any more, or most anything of late.

What ifs, fires, and not much to do with 'EV in TH' :coffee1:

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And I'd say the same thing if car still under warranty, and battery needed replacement.  And a dealer trying to get out of an expensive repair ... shock surprise.

Why I rarely read this thread any more, or most anything of late.

What ifs, fires, and not much to do with 'EV in TH' :coffee1:

I seen loads of Posts about EV in Thailand such as a number of posts relating to the Seal that needed a replacement battery and the dealer workshop, brand and insurance seem to be playing ping pong and none of them taking ownership of the issue until the owner decided after 20+ days and no replacement car to bring issue to main stream media where it seems resolution decision was made same day

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I seen loads of Posts about EV in Thailand such as a number of posts relating to the Seal that needed a replacement battery and the dealer workshop, brand and insurance seem to be playing ping pong and none of them taking ownership of the issue until the owner decided after 20+ days and no replacement car to bring issue to main stream media where it seems resolution decision was made same day

Good thing I don't have a Seal ... :coffee1:

• Haha 1

Ciaz Registrations numbers for May are in. This is part of the debate, mostly between @vinny41 and @JBChiangRai, of the lag time between sales and registrations. 

The Ciaz promotion ran from March 1st to April 7th. There were zero "extra" registrations showing in the March numbers and numbers are still raising in May.

Screenshot_20240611_082034_ChartMaker.thumb.jpg.e9ac0b020bd35dd7e98600392afe1414.jpgScreenshot_20240313_100719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.819153007ed26c6f4ff722eb195d6617.jpg

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Ciaz Registrations numbers for May are in. This is part of the debate, mostly between @vinny41 and @JBChiangRai, of the lag time between sales and registrations. 

The Ciaz promotion ran from March 1st to April 7th. There were zero "extra" registrations showing in the March numbers and numbers are still raising in May.

Screenshot_20240611_082034_ChartMaker.thumb.jpg.e9ac0b020bd35dd7e98600392afe1414.jpgScreenshot_20240313_100719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.819153007ed26c6f4ff722eb195d6617.jpg

There is a huge incentive for EV dealers and Brands to get their vehicles registered asap as they sell the vehicles with the EV3.0 or currently EV 3.5 subsidy applied however they don't receive the subsidy from the government until the vehicle is registered 

The only incentive Suzuki have for getting their vehicles registered is to get those figures into the monthly stats published by the DLT

https://web.dlt.go.th/statistics/index.php

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

There may after all be some truth to the myth that the electromagnetic fields in an EV destroy the cognitive ability to handle Euclidean mathematics, as first postulated by one of our members with an advanced master degree from the local kindergarten. 

Autolife has joined our own ranks of faulty percentage calculation. 5,474/45,101=12.1% and not 13%.

Screenshot_20240611_090103_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I know this is not everyone's cup of tea, but this is breaking news.

Neta-V accident and fire 🔥

Not saying it isn't, necessarily - but how do we know this is a Neta V?

You keep posting these videos with no source to verify what they actually are.

And, as the saying goes, "Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur." (What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence).

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not saying it isn't, necessarily - but how do we know this is a Neta V?

You keep posting these videos with no source to verify what they actually are.

And, as the saying goes, "Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur." (What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence).

I understand your concern, but hopefully a news article will confirm it tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, matchar said:

Some good news for BYD owners; replacement battery prices reduced up to 40%:

https://www.autospinn.com/2024/06/car-ev-byd-discount-hv-battery-price-up-to-40-137233

I guess they are trying to restore their reputation after the flooded Seal fiasco.

Looks like they are having a lot of expensive battery failures.........😱

But wait, they tell me here, they can last 20 years.........:huh:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Looks like they are having a lot of expensive battery failures.........😱

But wait, they tell me here, they can last 20 years.........:huh:

No, as I understand it, the BYD batteries are cheap, and getting cheaper all the time. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, as I understand it, the BYD batteries are cheap, and getting cheaper all the time. 

But it says 40% cheaper, hmmmm, sounds like supplying at a loss.........😱

But they must keep the EV thing going, or bust, as many are....😥

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I understand your concern, but hopefully a news article will confirm it tomorrow. 

I really don't see any relevance of an EV catching fire in an accident, it happens equally to ICE cars.

What is relevant is an EV catching fire spontaneously or whilst charging.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I really don't see any relevance of an EV catching fire in an accident, it happens equally to ICE cars.

Topic title = Electric vehicles in Thailand.

Partial original post = Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It does not happen equally to ICE cars; you are making that up. 

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Any fire threat is relevant. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Again, no indication of where that picture (which does indeed, appear to be a burned-out Neta V) comes from or whether it's related to the video posted by @ExpatOilWorker.

Just a post for people to sharpen their observation skills, as for the authenticity I have no idea other than the accident photo was taken somewhere in Thailand. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You're right, it happens much more often to ICE cars.  It's included in statistics posted here and repeated ad nauseum.

No crash fire is relevant to any EV owner here, it certainly isn't to me.

So quit making stuff up. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matchar said:

https://www.autospinn.com/2024/06/car-ev-byd-discount-hv-battery-price-up-to-40-137233

I guess they are trying to restore their reputation after the flooded Seal fiasco.

Thanks....those are some healthy price reductions....I fully expect EV traction battery cost to continue to trend downward as more and more and more EVs are sold .  Now when I can pickup a new traction battery at PTT Fit, B-Quik, CockPit, etc., for around a Bt100K I will be happy....probably keep my Atto 3 for 30 years. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From examining the CCTV footage at 3:42 a.m. today at the scene of the incident. It was a dark road, the light poles were not activated. As the electric car was driving at speed, it lost control and crashed into the center of the road until the lights flashed. Spinning around in the air It fell and was parked in the middle of the road. Then a fire broke out and engulfed the entire car.

Firefighters were found at the scene. Along with 2 water trucks, they sprayed water on an electric car, Neta brand, unknown color, red license plate number A 4106, 

https://mgronline.com/local/detail/9670000049928

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matchar said:

I truly hope there will be more BYD Seal fiascos so their cars will be getting even cheaper........ but alas, reality has usually other, much more mundane explanations:

(from the linked article, machine translated)

quote:

'BYD discount battery?
The main reasons that BYD announced a discount supplier of battery in electric car, born from lower cost of production, continued with the principles of Economy of scale even produced a number of price per piece more was down earlier by the way, BYD has announced a discount on electric cars before, and then as a result of lower cost of production. make can be lowered the price of new cars down.

It also affects the subject case, the car accident in the future, because the price of battery discharge, the new price is down more than original than 40%, resulting in a change a new battery due to accident lower cost than the original.'

Lower cost of production is a far more plausible explanation, albeit, less sexy than some wild guessing about fake news.

• Haha 1