Electric Vehicles in Thailand

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

“EVs are too expensive for the average Thai”

How many times have we heard that? What they should say is “cars are too expensive….”

IMG_6585.thumb.jpeg.8dfed90f435c922452544715ab214a47.jpeg

IMG_6589.thumb.jpeg.b86fbef1b700aa1e2aea39c71d7afb8a.jpegIMG_6587.thumb.jpeg.a8562187de69bc08f0ab57cbdf1e7ba2.jpegIMG_6586.thumb.jpeg.96f889b6bef0a4d4f31957d610f6829c.jpegIMG_6588.thumb.jpeg.24657108a360503842442dc56130193d.jpeg

The big question: How many of these brands will be around in 5 years time? Obviously the BYD brand will be, but some of these brands are unknown quantities.

The Lightburn Zeta was a small car produced in Australia in the sixties. It lasted two years, due to poor sales. The Lumin and Binguo jogged my memory in terms of size and appearance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_(automobile)

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The big question: How many of these brands will be around in 5 years time? Obviously the BYD brand will be, but some of these brands are unknown quantities.

The Lightburn Zeta was a small car produced in Australia in the sixties. It lasted two years, due to poor sales. The Lumin and Binguo jogged my memory in terms of size and appearance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_(automobile)

The EV culling has already started.

GQioN37bEAARcK5.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

He saw the graph but didn't bother to read it carefully and so didn't see that the graph was for only inverter #1 not the whole system. 

I call my wife #1  every day of the week, but I sure don't have 2 wives. 

A savvy chart creator would have used the #1 of 2 nomenclature. 

Over and out from the FactCheck patrol.

15 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The EV culling has already started.

GQioN37bEAARcK5.jpeg

there are currently too many ev companies in the market. naturally, this will lead to a consolidation where only a few strong ones will survive.

what happen is nothing special ... that this would happen was expected!

Edited by motdaeng
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Means nothing. It is a relatively new industry. Of course many companies will fall by the wayside, there will be consolidations, mergers, takeovers, just as there have been in the ICE vehicle industry, absolutely no difference. Some won't be good enough, some will overstretch themselves, some will be incompetent, but at the end of the day the EV industry will be strong as will be the survivors.

How many automobile manufactures have gone bust since the early days of the automobile? How many early internet business went out of business? How many mobile phone companies went of out business? (hint: it's a lot in all three instances). Has the automobile industry died? Has the internet died? Has the mobile phone perished?

Like I said, meaningless.

Edit: I haven't heard of more than half the companies on that list which says a lot.

Soon we can throw Vinfast into the dumpster fire 🔥

Screenshot_20240727_191121_Google.jpg

Means nothing. It is a relatively new industry. Of course many companies will fall by the wayside, there will be consolidations, mergers, takeovers, just as there have been in the ICE vehicle industry, absolutely no difference. Some won't be good enough, some will overstretch themselves, some will be incompetent, but at the end of the day the EV industry will be strong as will be the survivors.

How many automobile manufactures have gone bust since the early days of the automobile? How many early internet business went out of business? How many mobile phone companies went of out business? (hint: it's a lot in all three instances). Has the automobile industry died? Has the internet died? Has the mobile phone perished?

Like I said, meaningless.

Well, it does not mean much in the scheme of things, but it means something if you buy from a company that goes t*ts-up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, it does not mean much in the scheme of things, but it means something if you buy from a company that goes t*ts-up. 

For that reason I would not buy from a non established brand. That doesn't only go for cars but for any expensive electronic item that I plan to rely on.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

For that reason I would not buy from a non established brand. That doesn't only go for cars but for any expensive electronic item that I plan to rely on.

Like GM?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I once tripped the 50 A breaker at my Bangkok condo. 3 ACs, oven, stove, TV, fridge, lights and maybe the water heater kicked in, using 12,000 W.

This was unusual consumption,  but 3,500 W is is cutting is short for peak load.

No doubt for a big home in hot and muggy Thailand.  I come close in my small home when in my exercise room with the treadmill, AC, huge fan, and electronics.  If the other AC is on I would be close if not over 3500 W April-May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

He saw the graph but didn't bother to read it carefully and so didn't see that the graph was for only inverter #1 not the whole system. 

I made a "dumbed down" version of my V2L video which shows the Seal supporting the house with aircon running for a few hours 

Nice backup if home batteries are empty and if you are off the grid a huge plus.  Did you know that the Seal could power the house when you bought it or was it something you figured out afterwards?

Edited by atpeace

17 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Nice backup if home batteries are empty and if you are off the grid a huge plus.  Did you know that the Seal could power the house when you bought it or was it something you figured out afterwards?

I ordered the Seal on the launch day and I’ve had it about 9 months. 

Here is a video I made over 2 years ago laying out my plan to incorporate V2L into my solar setup 

• Thumbs Up 1

I will add that maybe the PEA/Bangkok Post is talking a "TOU" meter for a 2nd meter (but the article does not say that) but would still install a 2nd regular meter with associated non-TOU rates.   

I could easily see where upgrading a current primarily meter and associated building wiring could be very expensive sometimes in comparison to installing a 2nd meter/wiring...each facility will be different.  

Now what I can't understand right now is why PEA would not allow installation of a 2nd "regular" meter (i.e., non-TOU meter & rates) because then TOU rates could not be abused based on whatever PEA considers abuse of TOU rates.   Hopefully there will be more clarification forthcoming on the PEA policy change.

i think i read it somewhere, but i can't find it anymore ...

according to an article in the bangkok post from the end of 2023, thailand has 11.8 million

registered passenger cars (maximum 7 passengers).

does anyone know how many battery electric vehicles (bev) passenger cars (excluding phev/hybrid)

are registered in total, including 2024?

thanks, motdaeng

image.png.ffc740d50fda1eb9b53b21dec261f537.png

11 hours ago, Pib said:

There is an article in the 27 July 2024 Bangkok Post titled, EV owners upset as second-meter system scrapped, which basically says PEA will no longer allow the installation of a 2nd meter in a home/small business for EV vehicle charging.  The article  said the policy change is due to misuse of 2nd meter.   

Now this means a person would need to possibly upgrade their primary meter and assoicated wiring to also handle the extra EV load which could be much more expensive than having a 2nd meter and associated wiring installed. 

People who currently who have already requested a 2nd meter or have a 2nd meter installed are not affected although PEA said they reserve the right to take necessary action if misuse is identified. 

I wonder if MEA will follow suit?  I also have a gut feeling PEA will soon have to back-peddle on their decision.

Daughter is waiting on her TOU meter, (next week) and was told the exact same from PEA/installer via BYD.

Definitely something inherently wrong with some people.  The few really do screw it up for those that try to color within the lines.   Seems to carry over in all aspects of things (thing Imm & agent for TH).

I'm obviously not a fan of PEA, but damn, they help you and you screw them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i think i read it somewhere, but i can't find it anymore ...

according to an article in the bangkok post from the end of 2023, thailand has 11.8 million

registered passenger cars (maximum 7 passengers).

does anyone know how many battery electric vehicles (bev) passenger cars (excluding phev/hybrid)

are registered in total, including 2024?

thanks, motdaeng

image.png.ffc740d50fda1eb9b53b21dec261f537.png

July 1, 2024 EV summary Thailand 🇹🇭

EV registrations: 126,458

Total EV miles driven: 691.9 million miles

• Thanks 1

I prefer the idea of a gas range extender with a pure electric drive train than a traditional hybrid which needs a gearbox etc.

Any failure in the gas part of the car means you can still drive it.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

There is an article in the 27 July 2024 Bangkok Post titled, EV owners upset as second-meter system scrapped, which basically says PEA will no longer allow the installation of a 2nd meter in a home/small business for EV vehicle charging.  The article  said the policy change is due to misuse of 2nd meter.   

Now this means a person would need to possibly upgrade their primary meter and assoicated wiring to also handle the extra EV load which could be much more expensive than having a 2nd meter and associated wiring installed. 

People who currently who have already requested a 2nd meter or have a 2nd meter installed are not affected although PEA said they reserve the right to take necessary action if misuse is identified. 

I wonder if MEA will follow suit?  I also have a gut feeling PEA will soon have to back-peddle on their decision.

I wonder how some are abusing it. Are they powering their house during off peak hours? If so, wouldn’t they need to have quite a large consumer unit to start off with and transfer switches and the lot?

I had originally just wanted to change my 15/45 meter to a 30/100A TOU meter as I have a solar as well. But with typical Thai confusion, all I got was a 15/45A TOU which was later changed to a 15/45A TOU with feed in from my solar. So I had to get a 2nd meter for my EV charging 

So what I basically is charge during the day using a granny charger with excess solar during peak hours, no worries during weekends as it’s all off peak. I don’t even need to be home as I have smart plugs. If I need a big top up, then I use the wall charger for just a few hours off peak (2nd meter).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Daughter is waiting on her TOU meter, (next week) and was told the exact same from PEA/installer via BYD.

Definitely something inherently wrong with some people.  The few really do screw it up for those that try to color within the lines.   Seems to carry over in all aspects of things (thing Imm & agent for TH).

I'm obviously not a fan of PEA, but damn, they help you and you screw them.

Same with people who let their Meter spinning backwards.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t even need to be home as I have smart plugs

Maybe a topic for another discussion. I am struggling with Home Assistant and the Growatt intergration for my inverters as the api constantly logs in to check the status and Growatt sees it as a DOS attack and locks my account for 24 hours.

IMG_6605.thumb.jpeg.87390bf04dab154baa5d05df5f7e9be3.jpeg

I haven’t found a BYD integration for HA, but I saw HA used on a BYD which I thought was cool.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Same with people who let their Meter spinning backwards.

Mixed thoughts on that.  Not stealing, simply taking back what you give.  Against their rules, so not a good thing to do.

Not a big fan of the monopoly of many things.   I don't export, though did test it out a few times.  Even before we got out digital meter, I set the inverter to 'no export'.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would never ever consider a GM vehicle of any kind, ever. Not in the past, not in the present, not in the future.

Yes, but that was not the point. The point was that GM, a large manufacture pulled out of Thailand. 

And while you would not by a GM vehicle, they were building the best-selling brand in China for a long while, and they were the best-selling manufacturer in the world for even longer. 

So, there's that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Ah no. My point is this could happen anywhere that EV's are on the road. Did you miss that part? Last time I checked there are more and more EV's (mostly Chinese made) are on the roads of Thailand.  But if youi think I am lost than I would not disagree.  

My point is that you are in the wrong discussion and your post is

:offtopic:

There are plenty of discussions for EV bashing and this is not one of them

You are welcome to start your own 

“EVs on the main road between LA and Las Vegas” discussion

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2