Elite Thai police units arrest Ukrainian tax evaders living in Phuket after raiding their luxury villa

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Am I the only one to find the term "elite Thai police" totally comical and oxymoronic? 

Yes.

It's more surprising that you were able to express that in one sentence, though, you usually need at least 27 paragraphs for your posts!    

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Card said:

Seems the US govt is more concerned with tax evasion than human trafficking.

Govts laws and its tax money are priority and stiff sentences are meted out not following govts rules controlling businesses and money and not paying the govt their dues.

Also the USD was probably being used so there will probably be some money laundering charges somehow added to that.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Am I the only one to find the term "elite Thai police" totally comical and oxymoronic? 

They may have arrived driving Maybachs, that would make them elite surely?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am sure there are Thai police officers with talent and who know how to find the bad guys.

But what do they do after they found them?...

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

and it is named after some very sarcastic monkey character. figures ) 

talking about arrests: there are literally hundreds if not thousands extradiction requests from US, many are against folks from Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Russia and the rest of ex-USSR. 

Edited by NativeBob

31 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

and it is named after some very sarcastic monkey character. figures ) 

talking about arrests: there are literally hundreds if not thousands extradiction requests from US, many are against folks from Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Russia and the rest of ex-USSR. 

Wonder what percent are answered? Likely depends on whether or not they are "protected". 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wonder what percent are answered? Likely depends on whether or not they are "protected". 

No-no, I reckon police bust at the Phuket villa 2 guys rented for THB250K/month - it was pure luck they didn't find cocainum that time. The middleman who rented that villa to them was a snitch and he expected % . the elite police force came on 2 trucks total about a dozen up S.O.B. to bust 2 young guys on charges of illegal content of adult websites they [allegedly] owned. 

The whole bust look so immature, even childish. No witnesses, no court orders, nothing was introduced/presented.
Finally their boss tried to extort money "pay $20K and leave Thailand end of the week" - got banana instead.

Elite force my <tuchas>! 

PS: they [kids] even recorded/taped everything of their iPhone.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Location doesn't seem to be a barrier also.

It used to be, tax crimes were not something you would typically be extradited for in the past but that appears to have changed over the last few decades. All depends on the treaty and when it was signed.

Of course adding in a couple of other spurious criminal charges as well gets rid of that problem if it arises.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

No-no, I reckon police bust at the Phuket villa 2 guys rented for THB250K/month - it was pure luck they didn't find cocainum that time. The middleman who rented that villa to them was a snitch and he expected % . the elite police force came on 2 trucks total about a dozen up S.O.B. to bust 2 young guys on charges of illegal content of adult websites they [allegedly] owned. 

The whole bust look so immature, even childish. No witnesses, no court orders, nothing was introduced/presented.
Finally their boss tried to extort money "pay $20K and leave Thailand end of the week" - got banana instead.

Elite force my <tuchas>! 

PS: they [kids] even recorded/taped everything of their iPhone.

Elite forces likely means they are able to charge more for a non arrest. 

Many years ago, my sister in law, was involved with a rather dodgy Brit, while living on Samui. When she finally ditched him, he was livid, and just could not handle it. He ended up coming one night, at 3:30am, and burning down her bungalow, which was made of wood and thatch. It went up like a bomb. Fortunately, neither she, nor her roommates were there at the time, or they would have either died, or ended up with major 3rd degree burns all over their bodies, which I believe was his intention. In most countries, this would be treated as attempted murder, correct? The police were able to find a video of him racing away from the scene, at around 3:35am, as there was a CCTV camera in front of the police station, only a few hundred meters away from her bungalow. They took him in, and told him he would have to leave Thailand, and could never return. Not sure what exchanged hands, for him been able to avoid arrest. One can only imagine.

He was also told he would have to pay my sister in law 120,000 baht for the destruction of her gold, cash, and possessions. Same for her friends. He did pay. 480,000 baht. Plus the bribes, likely. We know that for a fact, as we were friendly with a couple of his friends. When she went to the police station to collect, she was told that he never paid, and he was already back in the UK. But, that they had advocated for her, and made sure he could never come back to Thailand!

When she pushed, and told them that she knew for a fact that he had paid them, she was told that her life was now in danger, and that she needed to back down, and go away, or her safety could not be guaranteed. Her life was threatened by the police mafia! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1