Large Department Store Refuses to Give Free Bag

Banana7

13 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You could try to "follow along" yourself. There is only one Department Store in Pattaya, namely Central Festival Department Store. There is only one liquor outlet at Central Mall, which is downstairs in Tops Central supermarket. The liquor could only have been purchased at Tops Supermarket.

I think you are incorrect.

No, definitely not my opinion as it is absurd. The law was introduced to cut down on plastic bag use, and had nothing to do with free bags. Any store has the right to offer recycleable carry bags.

They do offer recyclable (recycleable?) bags, yes?

What about softly spoken customers who don't wish to buy a bag? At what volume will a customer be assessed as "loudmouthed"? Some people don't talk, just walk away if they are not happy about something. They don't argue. My wife is like that - non confrontational.

What about them, should we circumvent the law/rules for them as well? In any event, I imagine they bring their own bags, or buy them as they need them. 

No, everyone is different. Please refer to the above comment.

I agree, is different, but everyone should be treated the same, yes?

That's a lazy way to try to prove your point.

I was not trying to make a point, I was responding to yours, when you implied  the law/rules should be circumvented for big spenders buying liquor, but (apparently) not for old ladies buying water.  

I did not read the 12 pages of this thread.

That does not surprise me.

Considering you might have, how many people agree with you here?

Of the 84 people that posted, 71 agree with me, or about 85%

I will explain that if you state what your comment was. As has been explained, 7-11's offer free bags for purchases over 150 baht, and charge 1.50 baht per bag below that threshhold.

That's what I thought, nothing. 

You would want to follow customers like me at checkouts. I'm about the fastest person to move through a checkout you've ever seen. At Big-C (for example), I toss my shopping into a cart as fast as the checkout person can scan my items... then I pack it into my own recycled plastic bags after I've paid. I reuse bags until they fall apart. I have plastic bags that date to before the ban, along with many fabric bags. The 7-11 bags last many months until they tear.

Point? No?

In any event, I'm generally not in a hurry and don't mind waiting for people to load their dirty old bags. 

You could try to "follow along" yourself. There is only one Department Store in Pattaya, namely Central Festival Department Store. There is only one liquor outlet at Central Mall, which is downstairs in Tops Central supermarket. The liquor could only have been purchased at Tops Supermarket.

I think you are incorrect.

No, definitely not my opinion as it is absurd. The law was introduced to cut down on plastic bag use, and had nothing to do with free bags. Any store has the right to offer recycleable carry bags.

They do offer recyclable (recycleable?) bags, yes?

What about softly spoken customers who don't wish to buy a bag? At what volume will a customer be assessed as "loudmouthed"? Some people don't talk, just walk away if they are not happy about something. They don't argue. My wife is like that - non confrontational.

What about them, should we circumvent the law/rules for them as well? In any event, I imagine they bring their own bags, or buy them as they need them. 

No, everyone is different. Please refer to the above comment.

I agree, is different, but everyone should be treated the same, yes?

That's a lazy way to try to prove your point.

I was not trying to make a point, I was responding to yours, when you implied  the law/rules should be circumvented for big spenders buying liquor, but (apparently) not for old ladies buying water.  

I did not read the 12 pages of this thread.

That does not surprise me.

Considering you might have, how many people agree with you here?

Of the 84 people that posted, 71 agree with me, or about 85%

I will explain that if you state what your comment was. As has been explained, 7-11's offer free bags for purchases over 150 baht, and charge 1.50 baht per bag below that threshhold.

That's what I thought, nothing. 

You would want to follow customers like me at checkouts. I'm about the fastest person to move through a checkout you've ever seen. At Big-C (for example), I toss my shopping into a cart as fast as the checkout person can scan my items... then I pack it into my own recycled plastic bags after I've paid. I reuse bags until they fall apart. I have plastic bags that date to before the ban, along with many fabric bags. The 7-11 bags last many months until they tear.

Point?

In any event, I'm generally not in a hurry and don't mind waiting for people to load their dirty old bags. 

In Spain it is forbidden, by law, for stores to give free plastic bags; they have to charge for them compulsorily. The idea is to reduce the number of plastic bags given out in stores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Espanol said:

In Spain it is forbidden, by law, for stores to give free plastic bags; they have to charge for them compulsorily. The idea is to reduce the number of plastic bags given out in stores.

But the rule does not apply to angry   Gringos! LOL

Edited by The Hammer2021

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's the principle of the thing..!! ROFL..555.

A farang with high principles is teaching the little Thai check out girl principles

really?

do you think the little Thai check out girl gives 2 <deleted>?

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:02 PM, Banana7 said:

Went to large department store in Pattaya to purchase 3 bottles of booze, totaling 8,000-9,000 baht. Paid for it and asked for a free bag to carry the purchase. Cashier refused and the manager refused, so I got a refund. The bag wasn't made of plastic. Went to a large grocery store, purchased the same bottles, recieved free bags, purchases were even double bagged.

In protest, you should give up booze. That would teach them!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Thai people don’t care whether they lose your business or not.

True.

9 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

There’s always another sucker ready to do business.

The good old days are over.  They were over pre covid.

21 hours ago, PJ71 said:

really?

do you think the little Thai check out girl gives 2 <deleted>?

She might be upset by any tirade, particularly a new employee. That is more my gripe really.... hung-over customer with attitude and a holier than thou 'I got rights' picking on staff who do not make the decisions. 

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

The good old days are over.  They were over pre covid.

Then leave already instead of polluting every thread with your doom and gloom outlook on life

You, deckchair guy and bag guy would have a fantastic time together.....

41 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Then leave already instead of polluting every thread with your doom and gloom outlook on life

Surely we like to see both sides of an argument.... and do not condone censorship! (Says he who has put him on ignore! ????)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Pattaya still offers great adult entertainment, there is no other place like it in the world, so I will continue to stay. 

As another member said, it's important that false and misleading, and overly optimistic posts such as yours are debated, otherwise you distort what is actually happening on the ground here.   

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As another member said, it's important that false and misleading, and overly optimistic posts such as yours are debated, otherwise you distort what is actually happening on the ground here.   

Right back at you

As another member said, it's important that false and misleading, and overly negative posts such as yours are debated, otherwise you distort what is actually happening on the ground here.   

•  

42 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Right back at you

As another member said, it's important that false and misleading, and overly negative posts such as yours are debated, otherwise you distort what is actually happening on the ground here.   

•  

My posts give your posts some balance.  ????