Baht Depreciation Could Have Widespread Implications

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Sakkapop also said the BOT will intervene to stabilize the baht if it experiences significant volatility or movements that contradict Thai economic fundamentals.

And of course, this statement itself is intervening to prop up the baht. Don't think that it's just a coincidence that this jawboning occurred just a day before US Social Security payments are to be made to Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If you wnat tourists, make the attractive.... Thailand is getting too expensive

For who?

Related costs in the U.S. and several EU have almost doubled in the past 3 years   Thailand is still cheap, but if you think it is expensive now just wait.  Inflation will soon rear its ugly head then off to the higher cost races.

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

On the other hand it might help exports and tourism.

Might depend to which country... the USA yes......the THB is more expensive in say Korean Won (since Dec), and more expensive for Chinese Yuan too. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Well I can only say that if the Baht's depreciating due to government policy, then they're not doing a very good job of it as the pound is depreciating even faster!!!

Same story with other currencies Guderian--- up on the GBP--Oz $-- Euro.  They seem to be mixing up the fact that the USA$ is getting stronger against everything. I guess it sounds better for their readers if they say the Baht is collapsing............Some hopes

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Like history I hope I wouldn't see this message everytime without failure when the baht depreciates " intervention "  that means in a few days it will get stronger never fails! ????  

Wide spread implication of baht depreciation personally meant my evening out are more often and end more happy! ????

Happy evenings, or happy endings?

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

7eleven mineral water up 50%

I thought I was getting crazy myself already, maybe I still did, but I was quite shocked to nearly have to pay 80 baht when I did a quick 500ml water bottle pack from 7-11 a week ago. Not to mention water companies here cutting people off for just being behind 200-300 baht and ignoring human universal rights.

Anyway, the people are gonna feel this stuff hardcore later on this year. To even talk with the 500 baht minimum wage is quite silly as what was 350 baht just 4-5 years ago, is 750 baht today already. A minimum wage upgrade wouldn't benefit them anymore, just keep them afloat only.

Soon airplane fares really make a price hike too, doubt there will be many tourists, people in Europe lose their holiday money on the recent energy increase alone already (no joke).

To then having to pay 200 baht single way rides in Phuket, 150 baht for beers, Vietnam seems the only real budget deal left aside of a few days in Laos or Cambodia.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, 2009 said:

One of my favourite bars just put the price of draught Tiger up to 125 from 100.

Might as well live in Europe at these prices.

Well yeah that is for sure, bottles of wine there cost me 4-5 euro each while a lower quality here is 150-300 a glass. But to be honest at least Vietnam is still fair on that end hehe, you can get 10 beers for less than 200 baht there. Together with the best cheese and meat.

To me it is also the overall costs though, initially things came out better here for me in terms of taxes and the like but if I factor in my visa costs, health insurance costs and the cost of a decent school for just 1 kid, I would essentially not pay any tax back home already.

The only reason I haven't left yet, is because aside of the crazy pricing and politics here, the people are quite laid back and chill, unlike to large parts of the west nowadays. But same time, it is almost better to live in a smaller town in Spain and enjoy the good decent life.

It seems that it doesn't really matter anymore where you live in the world, more about which things one is ready to give up and which things you do not, anywhere life easily costs 3000 dollars a month.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1