British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

1_PAY-0_THP_01534JPG.jpg

Christian Richardson, 32, has been living in Thailand for nine months and recently won his first Muay Thai bout (Image: Ben Lack)

Christian Richardson was lucky to survive when his motorbike was crushed by a pick up truck as he left a coffee shop at the start of the country's New Year festival

By Mark Branagan & Graeme Murray, News Reporter

A British martial arts champion is fighting for his life after a crash in Thailand.

Top boxer Christian Richardson, 32, from York, was lucky to survive when his motorbike was crushed by a pick up truck as he left a coffee shop on April 13, the start of the country's New Year festival.

Chris, who has been living in Thailand for nine months and recently won his first Muay Thai bout, suffered multiple injuries and broken bones.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He was given emergency treatment at a hospital in Koh Samui, before being airlifted to Bangkok where he is currently undergoing further surgery.

In York, he had worked as picture framer for the family business, Gillygate Framing. His sister, Emmy Watson, said: “Miraculously, he didn’t die or have any brain or spinal injuries.”

Her brother is unable to get out of bed and is fighting a bad infection in his foot where he has a large open wound.

In the next few days, he is going to need both facial and eye surgery to repair a broken cheek bone and a bad orbital floor fracture.

0_PAY0_THP_01533JPG.jpg

Chris' family has launched a bid to raise £60,000 for his treatment 

(Image: Ben Lack)

As Chris was involved in the accident abroad, the treatment is costing him and his family thousands of pounds. The family has launched a bid to raise £60,000 for the treatment, and to get him home to the UK.

Full story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-martial-arts-champion-fighting-26838936

m.jpg

-- © Copyright Mirror 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand is akin to Russian roulette, if you spin the drum enough times your luck eventually will run out, travel insurance could have helped a lot but with no licence and other factors and the length of say that would be helpful in his case...

A gun has say 6 or 7 bullets usually - you're telling me that's all I have before I'm dead. I must be really lucky.

Maybe over dramatizing again ???? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I really don’t understand why people don’t have a good insurance. If you don’t have the money stay home or go elsewhere. Everyone (almost half the world or more)knows how dangerous the roads and irresponsibly the drivers are.. I feel sorry for that guy and hope he will recover …. 

• Like 2

9 months in the country so any initial travel insurance might have expired.

If the accident was his fault then the bill will be his to fund.

If the pick-up driver was found guilty then hopes are his insurance should fund it, if he had any.

But as they are trying to raise a fund it sounds like his bad luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand is not to blame. 

It's the unqualified and unskilled users. 

Accountability.

Why make this pointless comment? 

Yes, the first thing tourist do when they come here is let their hair down and do things that they never done before. It's sad he got into a accident but we have good doctors here as long as you don't need brain surgery.

I am surprised what people dont do in their own country like driving flimsy bikes would do it here like they are born to do it. Driving Bike here is most deadly in case of accidents. Wish him a speedy recovery!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1