British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

just common sense isn't it, of course family would prefer not to fund it but why should complete strangers pay for it?

They don't have to pay for it. 

Why are you upset at those who can afford to help and have compassion?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nearly 10 years in Thailand, and I've always let the wife do the driving. She's been happy to. First on a motorcycle, now in our car. As a female they drive more cautiously than us blokes would, and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road, their sudden lane changes or pulling out from being stopped, that I wouldn't have caught. I remember a thread on here once about how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

why don't they teach drivers educations here?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To quote your own post two minutes before that one in which you admonish other members, "what are your motives for replying if saying anything other than get well soon?" 

To point out that the headline is misleading or false. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

To quote your own post two minutes before that one in which you admonish other members, "what are your motives for replying if saying anything other than get well soon?" 

To point out that the headline is misleading or false. 

What is inaccurate, misleading or false about the thread's title?  Are you saying that he wasn't the champion of the fight he won?   Seems that he has a 100% win record...so far!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

Hope he recovers.  Health insurance covered my big bike accident, thankfully.  60 days in icu with similar injuries (and more) like this fellow.  I’m surprised my Thai health insurance company actually covered bike crashes and glad it did.  They paid most of it.  

4 minutes ago, Zozod said:

Hope he recovers.  Health insurance covered my big bike accident, thankfully.  60 days in icu with similar injuries (and more) like this fellow.  I’m surprised my Thai health insurance company actually covered bike crashes and glad it did.  They paid most of it.  

Didn't you check the insurance before riding your big bike?

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's been here long enough to pick up Thai driving habits. And was he hit by the pickup because he didn't look when he left the coffee shop? We don't know because of the very poor reporting, but that seems the most logical scenario, rather than the pickup veering off the road into him.

Probably both of 2 bad things. Pick-up driver flooring the pedal and an ignorant foreigner just driving out in the street. Nor saying it´s necessary to be in this case, but it happens too many times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, superal said:

Only time I let my lady drive is when I have had a few too many drinks and then I become a terrible back seat driver as we crawl along at a snails pace or stay behind a truck with no intention of overtaking it . Also riding a motor bike in Thailand is just not worth the risk , no matter how much enjoyment you get from it but there are many die hard farangs who have had motor bikes all their lives and they believe they know better .

I did let my wife drive back the 20k from a mates house once , It was approaching midnight. I said " If you drive any slower the sun will be up before we get home ".  I have driven back ever since.

As for your last sentence    WE DO !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A British martial arts champion is fighting for his life after a crash in Thailand....

recently won his first Muay Thai bout,

Is this guy a martial arts champion in his home country?  If not, why are they calling him one?  Winning one Muay Thai fight doesn't even come close to being a champion.

Either way, I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

I am surprised what people dont do in their own country like driving flimsy bikes would do it here like they are born to do it. Driving Bike here is most deadly in case of accidents. Wish him a speedy recovery!

The guy may be an experienced bike rider. The car driver may be at fault and uninsured. I'm refraining from apportioning blame, or contributing until I read about the full circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

He's been here long enough to pick up Thai driving habits. And was he hit by the pickup because he didn't look when he left the coffee shop? We don't know because of the very poor reporting, but that seems the most logical scenario, rather than the pickup veering off the road into him.

I agree with your comment about reporting , all speculation , Given the facts to start with and I could be making my breakfast now.

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

Is this guy a martial arts champion in his home country?  If not, why are they calling him one?  Winning one Muay Thai fight doesn't even come close to being a champion.

Either way, I wish him a speedy recovery.

He was a picture framer in his home country. Wonder if you need/or he had a work permit to take part in Muay Thai fights here ?

Edited by Excel

As to the comments about women Thai drivers.   I know two here in the United States.  One is my niece.  I have been in a car with her driving both in Thailand and here in the U.S..   She is a very competent and safe driver.   

My sister in law... been in a car with her driving in Thailand and the U.S..   Scared  the <deleted> out of me!   I now refuse to ride in a car with her driving.  

So, it goes both ways. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nearly 10 years in Thailand, and I've always let the wife do the driving. She's been happy to. First on a motorcycle, now in our car. As a female they drive more cautiously than us blokes would, and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road, their sudden lane changes or pulling out from being stopped, that I wouldn't have caught. I remember a thread on here once about how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

your having a laugh right?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

So what you are saying is that you can't drive safely.

• Haha 1

I just don't understand why people don't have insurance when visiting a foreign country (or have sufficient funds), and don't check what it covers and what it doesn't. Nevertheless I hope he has a good outcome and wish him and his family the best.

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are confused. 

It's poor policing to blame, not Thailand.

The police aren't doing their job. 

It's not just traffic issues the police ignore all their tasks.

At least they're consistent. 

In your comment you've outlined the problem but fail to see who/what is causing the problem. 

But the police who are part of the people here and the government are to blame. Government controls the police and the people, so the people in government, (the people) are to BLAME! 55555

15 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

a man of that age, travel insurance is easily affordable.

sorry he is hurt, but no excuse for no insurance

I would be interested in knowing how insurance companies justify paying out policies for some guy whose stated purpose in coming to Thailand is to engage in an activity where somebody else has it as their goal to kick in your teeth and lay you out on the canvas unconscious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Oh, that makes it ok, then, for someone to not have sufficient insurance cover?

Never said it makes it ok but i would say very few do have cover which would cover the costs that he has.

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Shall we blame the people for this behavior?

Yes.... 

In this case, this level of drunken behaviour is widely accepted as the norm within society. 

Not one of us are really shocked that someone in Thailand gets this drunk and tries to ride a motorcycle, not one of is really shocked that this is a policeman.  

WHY ???... because society accepts this as the norm - Society is to blame... 

-------

The very facets that make Thailand a very enjoyable place to live are exactly the same facets that make Thailand a dangerous place to live (poorer safety culture). 

There is no social responsibility in Thailand - people let others get on with what they are doing even when what they are doing presents a risk to others in the community. 

This is great for many of us as we are not judged or challenged for being different, life is happy, people are innocent, friendly, happy go-lucky and this makes life less stressful and enjoyable. 

But, the consequence of this very same happy-go-lucky approach is the absence of social responsibility... people driving / riding when completely drunk and no-one doing anything about it such that it becomes the norm. 

He (the drunk policeman on the motorcycle) will kill someone next time, there will be outrage if its anyone considered middle class or above...  then it’ll be forgotten and no one will do anything when it happens again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thailand is not to blame. 

It's the unqualified and unskilled users. 

Accountability.

Why make this pointless comment? 

Accident statistics show very clearly, thais are the worst drivers on this planet,10x more accidents and deaths than the bigger germany, 

In no other country so many drivers have no license, driving drunk, swerving lanes without looking back,,

With german or italian traffic police, half of all thai drivers would be in jail