British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

There is no problem with getting insurance for bikes per se. For someone living in Thailand, most (all?) 1st class policies have emergency medical cover. There is a problem with the level of that cover with most policies I've seen but I was informed by a member here that stand alone accident insurance that covers motorcyles is available - I think the company was AXA.

If you mean travel insurance - I was surprised to see that my annual travel insurance (£15 million emergency medical cover) from All Clear (UK) actually covers bikes as long as you have a licence to ride one. However, most travel insurance covers a limited amount of days per trip - mine's 45 max per trip so this guy would not be covered.  I'm not even sure that travel insurance is available that would cover someone who's been away 9 months and if it is, its going to be very expensive.

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nearly 10 years in Thailand, and I've always let the wife do the driving. She's been happy to. First on a motorcycle, now in our car. As a female they drive more cautiously than us blokes would, and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road, their sudden lane changes or pulling out from being stopped, that I wouldn't have caught. I remember a thread on here once about how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

Totally deluded nonsense to say that Thai women in general are any  better drivers than Thai men in general simply because your wife hasn't yet caused your death.

My young partner was killed as a pedestrian by a speeding and drunk middle class Thai woman while taking her kids home from school. - That doesn't

make all Thai women bad drivers though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He "had to have" Covid-related insurance that would not have covered the level of expense claimed in the OP.

Actually 9 months ago you had to have something like $50,000 insurance for Thailand Pass.  My number could be wrong (and someone correct me if so) but I also think the amount did not have to be "Covid Insurance" just insurance.

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

either buy a tank, even a bicycle is safer.  

You have some authoritative statistics that support your claim a bicycle is safer?

A cyclist cannot accelerate out of the way of impending danger the way a scooter can.

Granted, get hit by a pickup, it's probably academic whether you are on a scooter or a bicycle, the outcome will be similar.

OTOH, when a 150 kg scooter hits a bicycle, it doesn't take Einstein to work out who comes off second best.

Sensible scooter drivers have adequate helmet protection. What cyclists wear for the same purpose almost looks like a Monty Python skit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

They don't have to pay for it. 

Why are you upset at those who can afford to help and have compassion?

Who would get upset about that? I don't care who pays but you'd expect the family to stump up money first

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You have some authoritative statistics that support your claim a bicycle is safer?

A cyclist cannot accelerate out of the way of impending danger the way a scooter can.

Granted, get hit by a pickup, it's probably academic whether you are on a scooter or a bicycle, the outcome will be similar.

OTOH, when a 150 kg scooter hits a bicycle, it doesn't take Einstein to work out who comes off second best.

Sensible scooter drivers have adequate helmet protection. What cyclists wear for the same purpose almost looks like a Monty Python skit.

I think the Bicycle vs Motorcycle stats are very subjective and genuine risk is more individual to the user themself. 

Personally - I would feel that riding a Motorcycle in Thailand is much safer than riding a bicycle (I’ve done both).

When Government statistics come into play all motorcyclists are lumped together in aggregate stats. 

As a motorcyclist in Thailand these aggregate government stats are not representative of the risk I personally face when riding a motorcycle: I don’t ride after having had a drink, I don’t ride at night, I don’t ride in the wet, I don’t speed, I don’t jump lights, I don’t take chances, I ride defensively, I wear a full face helmet, boots and gloves, I read the road, I never assume they won’t pull out etc etc... 

When comparing the motorcycling the riding a bicycle the real risk I face is vehicles hitting me from behind - there is no way I can avoid that on a bicycle. 

After trying it a number of times I no longer ride a bicycle on the roads at all. But, I still ride a motorcycle and do not consider it an excessive risk. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I have read soooo many reports of farangs losing limbs or in the worst case, dying in Thailand.

The worst country with  outside of Africa is THAILAND!

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

So what? Accidents happen all over the world in each and every country on the planet.  What I find way more shocking is that none of the foreigners who have these accidents happening seem to them have health insurance!!!

Having said that, I hope it all works out for him and that he recovers completely! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, you are right there. Can also be hard to find an insurance that actually covers motorcycle driving in Thailand at all.

mine covers me for a certain amount of medical service i had an accident 3 years ago the amount from the insurance covered me for ambulance..10 days hospital .. medication ect i didn't have to touch any other insurance i had.                                Bike insurance was sufficient 

• Like 2

feel sorry for the guy i had a motorbike accident spent 10 days in hospital nothing compared to what this chap is going thru. But i did have insurance my hospital bills were covered 

Problem is so many people have the attitude of it wont be me ..sadly sometimes it is hope the family is able to get him home and that he recovers fully

Insurance would have solved the problems eh

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Unfortunate accident, and I really hope he will pull through. However, it makes me think it´s just another one without an insurance.

The way it works in many cases, assuming he would have had to have insurance to get in, is you still have to pay up front and file for reimbursement from your insurer afterward, which could take god knows how long. This is what my insurance co does. So no reason to presume anything. 

19 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

So what? Accidents happen all over the world in each and every country on the planet.  What I find way more shocking is that none of the foreigners who have these accidents happening seem to them have health insurance!!!

Having said that, I hope it all works out for him and that he recovers completely! 

Mandatory covid insurance might cover it, which he likely has as an immigrant. But those policies reimburse after you pay out of pocket and submit bills, which can take forever. That may be the case here, but who knows.  I found that many policies are reasonably priced if you shop around - but I think many newbies aren’t aware of this. (By reasonably priced I mean a fraction of the cost of self insurance in the US, which is off the scale ridiculous). I am considering donating to his fund, as life in Thailand has been comfortable for me even on my $1400 / month SSD, and I know what hardship is like. I don’t spend much here, and unlike most Americans I don’t crave a lot of material things, just my guitars and a piano and modest sound system for my profession. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Expats and tourists from one country seems to be over represented due to my knowledge reading the news. 

I know he doesnt get insurance for his sport if not connected trough a English federation and insurance company, and thought maybe that is his only risk by living in Thailand. 

<deleted> happens 

There is no way I could live in Thailand without insurance, or going holiday without one. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the accident and i hope he makes a full recovery. 

I would ask why strangers are being requested to foot the medical bill. I have ridden a motorcycle  for decades in Thailand and despite my advanced age have never had a problem ever to fully insure myself  in addition to the government compulsary insurance for medical coverage whilst riding a motorcycle. 

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road,

Absolute rubbish. They usually drive like there is no-one else on the road.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

I have read soooo many reports of farangs losing limbs or in the worst case, dying in Thailand.

The worst country with  outside of Africa is THAILAND!

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

The webpage you reference is on road death statistics.

Death, or severe comorbidity, as a byproduct of initial non-lethal road accidents in LOS is NOT high for falangs ... IF you have top health insurance and are treated as a private healthcare patient.

The Thai private healthcare system for falangs is superb by world standards.

If this young fella had had 'top flight travel health insurance' with a reputable underwriter (unknown from the article) he'd have been flown by private medical evac-helicopter to the best hospital in LOS in BKK immediately he was stable enough to do so.

I'm assuming (yes I know this is a risky endeavour) he has no insurance, or a crappy policy that did not pay out, or that which would not cover such a contingency (maybe he didn't stipulate motorcy riding in his policy application which for many underwriters would disqualify him from being covered if not declared?).

Or, if he had zero insurance, came here to train as a fighter, compete, and ride a motorcy then he has a definite lack of grey matter as regards his own safety and care.

Edited by Tropposurfer

7 hours ago, Brayka said:

I really don’t understand why people don’t have a good insurance. If you don’t have the money stay home or go elsewhere. Everyone (almost half the world or more)knows how dangerous the roads and irresponsibly the drivers are.. I feel sorry for that guy and hope he will recover …. 

Exactly .. not much sympathy for anyone who doesn't have good travel insurance. If you can't afford it don't travel is my pragmatic, matter-of-fact comment.

Coming here is, and riding a bike, as another poster noted is akin to play Russian roulette. 

And, if you don't, then don't try to bleed (plz excuse the pun none intended in such a painful case) others to pay for your treatment and repatriation.

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Absolute rubbish. They usually drive like there is no-one else on the road.

I fully agree.

But I think the sentence needs a make over.

They usually drive like there is no-one else more impotent on the road

then them,  ( get out the way it's me )

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The way it works in many cases, assuming he would have had to have insurance to get in, is you still have to pay up front and file for reimbursement from your insurer afterward, which could take god knows how long. This is what my insurance co does. So no reason to presume anything. 

Not the way it works with my insurance company and i wouldnt use one that stipulated such. What a ridiculous concept.

Highlights 2 issues

Thai road safety

The number of Brits without comprehensive healthcare cover in Thailand

Road safety - the government is to blame - they don't have an effective policy to improve road safety Don't try the blame game -  People by nature will make mistakes. When these mistakes occur on the road, they can lead to crashes. Even when people are not deliberately taking risks, they can still make mistakes that can result in a crash. As people are fallible, road trauma cannot be eradicated just by improving road user behaviour. With many millions of drivers in the world, expecting everyone to not make a single mistake that can lead to crashes every time they use the road system is not realistic so a safe road system needs to be able to accommodate and account for people making mistakes.

The second is healthcare - Thailand has no effective emergency care system- No centralised/standardised ambulance system, no properly trained first responders and hardly any A&E departments.

Despite what the family says, there is n way we can Jude the care he is getting apart from the pricing. It is worrying to hear that he has picked up an infection. It is also worrying to hear how people are treated when they can't afford treatment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Health insurance covers all injuries and illness regardless of cause. So it's not hard at all to find insurance that covers medical expenses after a motorcycle accident. The first step is buying the insurance

Do some more research not in Thailand " covers all injuries or illness "  

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

There is no problem with getting insurance for bikes per se. For someone living in Thailand, most (all?) 1st class policies have emergency medical cover. There is a problem with the level of that cover with most policies I've seen but I was informed by a member here that stand alone accident insurance that covers motorcyles is available - I think the company was AXA.

If you mean travel insurance - I was surprised to see that my annual travel insurance (£15 million emergency medical cover) from All Clear (UK) actually covers bikes as long as you have a licence to ride one. However, most travel insurance covers a limited amount of days per trip - mine's 45 max per trip so this guy would not be covered.  I'm not even sure that travel insurance is available that would cover someone who's been away 9 months and if it is, its going to be very expensive.

You can get it up tp 180 days and the expense is pro rata.

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Unfortunate accident, and I really hope he will pull through. However, it makes me think it´s just another one without an insurance.

When we were young we all thought we were Invincible!

I was a Professional Diver in the North Sea and on vacation I would go Extreme Skiing and Paragliding!

I have seen many people get serious injuries and sometimes die!

I was sad at the time, but thought "That will never happen to Me".

This is a young guy without the common sense of Old Age and Experience! :thumbsup:

I am 64 now and still ride Motorbikes and have had several "Near Misses" .......You know what it is like driving over here?

Please have some compassion! :wai:

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

Wish the guy well for of course. He's obviously super fit and takes care of his body so that will help.

Didn't read any info in the story as to whether he was insured or not or with the right policy conditions or not, or who may have caused the accident or if there was any negligence by either him or the truck driver. Maybe just that moment of carelessness that on any road, can be disastrous.

Thailand does need to do more to ensure all on Thai roads are better schooled, so take fewer risks that harm themselves and others using the roads, just as the Muay Thai 'industry' needs stricter rules and awareness to stop the tragedy of youngsters severely impacting their lives with early onset brain damage. I was island hopping recently with Thai friends ; in one friend's extended household was a teenage boy with his leg amputated below the knee after a motorcycle accident and a mid 20s Thai almost in a trance like state, apparently the 'fall guy' in hundreds of brutal Muay Thai knockout shows.

Simple solutions to reduce the frequency of these tragedies - helmets, teach youngsters to operate the machines they use. Strict control of Muay Thai especially involving children. Mandatory road insurance...

• Like 1