Baked beans

Maybole

I used to buy tins of baked beans until I noticed they contained added sugar. Added salt I understand but added sugar? This sugar epidemics is something I'd like governments to crack down on globally. It's killing more people than all the illegal drugs put together.

Is lack of demand the problem with lacking (or expensive) farang food in TH? Or are punishing custom duties to blame?

Farang food has become rarer in breakfasts all over TH. My regular hotel in Pattaya has a buffet breakfast priced at 300 Baht. In the breakfast hall bacon is advertised for 80 Baht extra. So there you are, if you want bacon you need to pay extra.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I love the Japanese Golden Curry Extra Hot sauce & buy it 6 packs at a time (bargain at 82 THB, it's 120+ elsewhere) along with 6 x 2ltrs of Korean Bulgogi sauce at the Makro on Pattaya Nua so hopefully they'll continue to stock it ????  

OP Not a fan of the Ayam baked beans & often struggle to find Heinz BBs so I've switched to Watties which are a great substitute & can be found in most supermarkets. 

Watties.jpg

Plenty of Heinz BB in Pattaya but expensive- cross and Blackwell are a hood alternative

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not impressed ........

Login to view prices ...........

Press login ....... this page is not available.

Not improved much then.

I only ever tried them once, placed the order ok and then they rung up and said the driver wouldn't deliver to Chonburi because of covid.

Will carry on making the journey to Pattaya.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Home made baked beans are great but not as convenient  as tinned, ready prepared  beans.

If the issue is getting g your hands on a tin then making them would be a better deal. However, I understand some folks don't have the ability to cook.

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If the issue is getting g your hands on a tin then making them would be a better deal. However, I understand some folks don't have the ability to cook.

Some people can afford to buy tinned beans and having prepared my own baked beans many times its quite a hassle and can never be the same  as Heinz. Bean based dishes  from the Balkans, North Africa  and Turkey  are excellent and use the same  white bean. Actually I rarely bother with tinned beans either here or at home-about once a month - it's pleb food.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

I used to buy tins of baked beans until I noticed they contained added sugar. Added salt I understand but added sugar? This sugar epidemics is something I'd like governments to crack down on globally. It's killing more people than all the illegal drugs put together.

There is scarcely any packaged foodstuff in Thailand that does not have sugar in it. I am accustomed to reading น้ำตาล on all the labels.

I recently bought some tinned coffee that was labelled "less sugar", it was actually sweeter than the brand I normally drink.

There is a sht ton of imported items that have disappeared from the shelves in the last year, Villa is a shadow of its former self, something new goes missing every day. Motts V8 comes to mind, their imported chocolate selection is dire, canned soups have been reduced to one variety. Things like consome and french onion are a thing of the past Things i have purchased for years are simply gone. and nothing new seems to be popping up in their place.

The supply chain is well and truly erratic,  

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

You cannot make baked beans without sugar. It is an integral part of the recipe and even contributes to their colour.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Delivery charge killed it for me, I suppose it depends to how much you want their stuff. ???? but for me 400 baht was a step too far.

If I went to their place to collect it it would be about a 1,000km return trip and SWBO would be the driver, plus at least 1 overnight stay.

In my case it is cheaper to get them to ship it because at 77, even with SWBO driving both of us would be trashed the day after we got back. She wouldn't let me drive it on my own and quite rightly so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Maybe to do with the war ? Don't know.

Nail, Head.

Ukraine has risen to become a leading producer and exporter of sunflower oil over the years.

That and Indonesia banning the export of palm oil.

Edited by VocalNeal

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

Beans ....I got.

Margarine !! Unobtainable in Big C and Tesco. Butter no problem but for some reason can't get any margarine. Maybe to do with the war ? Don't know.

My local Lotuss shows about a dozen types available here in Bangkok.

Tops shows even more.

Edited by lopburi3

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

My local Lotuss shows about a dozen types available here in Bangkok.

Tops shows even more.

I'm in lower Petchabun. The five nearest Tescos and the one Big C  ..........zilch.  Using butter which costs about the same but more difficult to spread from the fridge.

Obviously , places like Bangkok and Pattaya etc will be the last places to run short.

54 minutes ago, Denim said:

Beans ....I got.

Margarine !! Unobtainable in Big C and Tesco. Butter no problem but for some reason can't get any margarine. Maybe to do with the war ? Don't know.

Makro Phetchabun has Margarine etc.

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Makro Phetchabun has Margarine etc.

Yes...I guessed it would likely have but it will have to wait since that's a long 95 k drive .

As soon as I have another reason to go I'll check it out. Thanks

Makro do a range of Italian tinned stuff, problem is all the varieties are in the same coloured tins, but if you look they do baked beans, I buy them, they are OK, I think 39 bht a tin...

Beans.thumb.JPG.87cc717b5fabf577db979d199f96734d.JPG

• Thanks 1