Chang Beer Now 4.8%

drmal

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Good point less alcohol less sugar needed  

Not exactly.

I was referring to the Sugar Tax, for drinks like Coca-Cola, which is set to rise every couple of years here.

While there is residual sugar left in mass-produced beer, the amount is quite small and is untaxed here AFAIK.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Not exactly.

I was referring to the Sugar Tax, for drinks like Coca-Cola, which is set to rise every couple of years here.

While there is residual sugar left in mass-produced beer, the amount is quite small and is untaxed here AFAIK.

These days need to add sugar to coca cola and other soft drinks. I just add sugar to water when exercising

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If only CAMARA existed in Thailand, but they would probably get Jailed. 

CAMRA.

There is a hot-bed of home/craft brewers here. Somewhat less well-organized than CAMRA. Plenty of local thai groups on FB.

The biggest challenge is the ambient temperature.

39 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, the issue is it takes more beers to get a buzz?  Why not drink some real booze and get a shot of Vodka on the side makes up for the low % in the beer.

I'm not the op, but it's not about 'just drinking one' more when it affects the taste. I don't drink to get drunk, but I've noticed most of the beers getting weaker because the taste weakens too. 

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you put ice cubes into your small bottle of Leo light ?

Never heard of Leo light.

But I only drink in bars, resto's etc and they don't have the wide range that shops do.

Never seen the pleasure in sitting drinking at home. 

• Confused 1

Hit some of that Grolsch Elephant brand beer ... now that has a kick! I drink Leo regularly/sometimes, but at home I drink imported beers as too much Thai beer (more than a large bottle or two) seems to disagree with me (no matter what the brand). Maybe thats cause I try to bathe in the stuff ??? lol ????????

I used to love Redback (Aussie bottle brewed) wheat beer 5.8% and delicious ????????????????. I haven't tried to source it here as yet. 

Had some nice Chang tap beer at the Blue Tree night market not long back and it was very enjoyable. But it didn't have much of a kick to it.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I can see the percent hunters are out again. Not happy with Chang, why not drink Lao Khao? I mean, if the percent makes it taste better, that must be heaven for a percent hunter.

Agreed.  I can only assume it is the resident alcoholics who are obsessed with a relatively minor change to the alcohol content of their favourite tipple.  Surely most drink a particular beer because they prefer its taste, or because it is more or less gassy (according to preference),   or because it is cheaper (if they drink in quantity or if pennies are limited).

Cue the alcoholics in denial . . .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

But the supposed lower tax to the company is not passed on the the customers, I guess. If I'm not mistaken, the price per bottle is still the same, or higher, compared to when it was at 5%.

Not sure why, but Leo gives me a headache after more than a bottle while having food.

Singh(a) seems to be okay.

I actually liked Chang before, but I feel it's watered down. Not because I saw the percentage first, but after a finishing a glass, only then I looked (surprised) at the percentage, as is a habit that I always read the labels while drinking anything.

Edited by drmal

That's extremely important for all boozers indeed.

What a shame to reduce alc in your daily nutrition!

Now you have to buy 2 bottles to drink what is increasing expences in your budget.

What are you doing now? Going back to your home country?????

Was talking to the Thai Bev master brewer (who invented Chang) maybe 14 years ago and he explained that alcohol content was bound to decline as young people wanted lighter beer. 

As for Singha, they have been lowering alcohol content for the same reason but keep additives as their poor supply chain means they cannot exchange stock as frequently as Chang. As with American beers, Singh uses formaldehyde. Not dangerous as it is so little but another reason not to drink Thai beers. 

1 hour ago, hidbehindthesofa said:

Agreed.  I can only assume it is the resident alcoholics who are obsessed with a relatively minor change to the alcohol content of their favourite tipple.  Surely most drink a particular beer because they prefer its taste, or because it is more or less gassy (according to preference),   or because it is cheaper (if they drink in quantity or if pennies are limited).

Cue the alcoholics in denial . . .

No, we drink it to get drunk .

The lesser the alcohol content, the more that needs to be drunk 

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The lesser the alcohol content, the more that needs to be drunk 

Not me, I just like pouring it down my throat and getting a decent glow.

A reduced alcohol content means  for me I can have a decent session, not fall over and not be bad in the morning. 

Edited by rott
Spelling

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I can see the percent hunters are out again. Not happy with Chang, why not drink Lao Khao? I mean, if the percent makes it taste better, that must be heaven for a percent hunter.

Yes it is not the strength that matters, it is the taste. My favourite beers in the UK are Tetleys and John Smiths, great taste at only 3.6%. Lately Im really getting into Craft beers in the UK; strong tasting with a fantastic variety of flavours and nearly all are under 5%.

Ive never liked Chang except for a brief period when they reduced all the varieties to one and the strength to 5.2 or 3% and soon to 5%. I swear the strength remained more than that though, so I returned to drinking the others all at 5%. I actually like Archa because it is more bitter than all the other Thai 'lagers' (except Tiger) which are sweet tasting to me. But Archa is very inconsistent in taste, often tasting more like Chang who make it. And a bonus for me, because for good health I want a lower alcohol intake, is that it is now 4.5%. Though this gets cancelled out..lol..by the fact that their bottles are the only ones which have remained at 640ml rather than going down to 620ml. Cheers, which I also like, have deviously reduced their bottle size to 610ml. I say deviously because they've made the bottles look bigger than their competitors. Id drink Tiger, which is also relatively bitter but it is virtually unavailable in the north East.  Cheers!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Since I only drink MY beer at 4.5% - and still add some ice or lime  - I'm ok with a drop in alcohol levels. UK beer normally is only 4%. Anything over 4-4.5% to me takes like it has the consistency of syrup !

I hope poster is not the wasted guy I saw sitting outside the 7/11 the other day with a 'special brew' strength tin in his hand.

Try one of them 62.8%

worlds-strongest-beer-1200x800.jpg

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I can see the percent hunters are out again.

????I think it is the baht counters. Their beer is cheaper again maybe, but they are still not satisfied?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is one of the saddest quotes I have read in a long time. So, you mean there are a lot of people that comes to Thailand, to find the cheapest beer to just get <deleted> on a daily basis. That´s tragic. Could have done it at home, and saved the real expats the misery of hearing about it.

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

That is one of the saddest quotes I have read in a long time. So, you mean there are a lot of people that comes to Thailand, to find the cheapest beer to just get <deleted> on a daily basis. That´s tragic. Could have done it at home, and saved the real expats the misery of hearing about it.

Tragic to go to LOS and judge.  Maybe they were rocket scientists for Russia?  We don’t want them judging us.  I’m posting…..that’s sad.  I should be saving the planet.   LOS entertains 1 billion people a day for sex……I don’t judge.  I have 10,000 Pattaya tattoos on my body.  Don’t judge me.  Let me enjoy my life.  I’m not driving.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You are the first to mention drinking "on a daily basis" .

We are also talking about alcohol content, rather than the cost .

If anyone just wanted to get drunk for the cheapest price , they wouldn't be drinking beer .

If you don't want to get drunk, why don't you drink non alcoholic drinks ?