Thailand to enter rainy season in mid-May

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand will enter its rainy season around the end of the second week of May and it will last until mid-October, with a temporary break from mid-June to mid-July, due to the effects of El Niño and La Niña phenomena, according to the Thai Meteorological Department.

In an announcement, issued this morning (Sunday), the department warned of more rain across the country, with very heavy rain forecast in the southern region, as an indirect result of the atmospheric depression in the middle of the Bay of Bengal, which is intensifying and is predicted to develop into cyclone today, but it will not have a direct impact on Thailand.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The department said, however, that the cyclone, which is looming over the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea, will intensify the south-easterly wind and this will bring more rain to most parts of the county, particularly to southern provinces, which may face heavy downpours and the possibility of flash flooding.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-to-enter-rainy-season-in-mid-may/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

Major rain storm in Bangkok yesterday, Heavy wind and a torrential downpour for over 30 minutes in my area as it moved northward.....left some pretty good puddles and created a problem over by Central World.  By 5 pm it was just a hit and miss drizzle and we went out to dinner at the new night market behind Central Rama 9 and the G.

• Like 1

In a year where there will be little or no profit in farming,i guess they want to reassure farmers to put their crops in so you at least have expensive food to put on the table.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

normally this time of year we have maybe 18" of water in the dam, ground is rock hard and set like cement plus we are watering our trees a couple of times a week as well as getting tuck loads of water brought in. This year the dam is full and at times overflowing, the ground is hat water logged trees are falling over, if you try to walk around the place you sink into ground its that soft, a day or night rarely goes by without heavy rain and that has been happening right through the supposed dry season. Really have to wonder what is happening to the weather patterns, if we get a heavy wet season now we will lose many of our trees, is this an el nino/la nina event or is it something more, have never seen rain so heavy & constant over a dry season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Flooding is a serious issue in Bangkok and people still remember 2011 flooding which made people travel on boats on bangkok roads...it was really terrible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods

Yes. I know. 11 years ago there were serious  flooding. Dreadful.  But I like  the drama of the monsoon and the clean air it leaves behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, actonion said:

So now they've been told, lets see if they clear the garbage  off the streets that always block the drains, and  flood the city......i doubt it 

We've had bouts of rain up here including yesterday. We had one a couple of weeks ago and I saw a guy near the market clearing the drains but that was after it flooded. I suspect this is the normal procedure. 

I remember a comment on here a few years ago that was related to vehicle maintenance but I think it fits here as well. "To most of us maintenance is what we do to stop a vehicle breaking down.  To Thais its what you do after it breaks down. 

Edited by kimamey
I need to check the predictive text more often

15 minutes ago, seajae said:

normally this time of year we have maybe 18" of water in the dam, ground is rock hard and set like cement plus we are watering our trees a couple of times a week as well as getting tuck loads of water brought in. This year the dam is full and at times overflowing, the ground is hat water logged trees are falling over, if you try to walk around the place you sink into ground its that soft, a day or night rarely goes by without heavy rain and that has been happening right through the supposed dry season. Really have to wonder what is happening to the weather patterns, if we get a heavy wet season now we will lose many of our trees, is this an el nino/la nina event or is it something more, have never seen rain so heavy & constant over a dry season.

Weather patterns normally change from year to year so it may be just that but there's probably also a longer term change taking place. 

If it's that wet now then your prediction sadly is probably correct. I don't know where you are but here in Mahasarakham the main reservoir seems pretty full and some close by are the same. The ponds on our land and the one next door are pretty dry however. 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Major rain storm in Bangkok yesterday, Heavy wind and a torrential downpour for over 30 minutes in my area as it moved northward.....left some pretty good puddles and created a problem over by Central World.  By 5 pm it was just a hit and miss drizzle and we went out to dinner at the new night market behind Central Rama 9 and the G.

Central Rama 9 and the G-point.

28 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Flooding is a serious issue in Bangkok and people still remember 2011 flooding which made people travel on boats on bangkok roads...it was really terrible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods

I wasn't here for a lot of that but I know my wife sent pictures from where she was helping out and I saw the pictures on here.

We bought our Honda Jazz that year and because of the flooding of some of the factories and stored new cars we had to wait 6 months for the car.  Then we had to wait 7 months for 2 thin metal plates with numbers on to put on either end. 

Edited by kimamey
  • Thanks 1

It's never stopped raining this year up here in Chiang Mai ,

I have only had to put the pump in the river once this year

to water the garden,  just about every week so far we have

had a really good downpour, it's unusual as its not supposed

to be raining like this , wonder if this means no rain , when the

official rainy season starts.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kimamey said:

We've had bouts of rain up here including yesterday. We had one a couple of weeks ago and I saw a guy near the market clearing the drains but that was after it flooded. I suspect this is the normal procedure. 

I remember a comment on here a few years ago that was related to vehicle maintenance but I think it fits here as well. "To most of us maintenance is what we do to stop a vehicle breaking down.  To Thais its what you do after it breaks down. 

Absolutely  correct,they don't know what "Maintenance" mean's

Once pump dude forgot to switch it on during very mild rain. I think it was 2017 or 2018th? 

Ends up with complete flood of Suthisan area: from the junction down to LardPrao 48. Rats, filth, garbage and that disgusting fish. some places were about half meter of flood waters.

Every house was flooded. 

That dude probably still works there.

53 minutes ago, kimamey said:

A predictable generalisation and like all generalisations not really true at all.