How much cash you do need to carry for visa exempt entry?

I was hoping to transfer money to my Bangkok Bank account, but I read you need cash to enter country.

It says officially 10,000 baht, but now they want 20,000 baht for visa + visa exempt.

I'm from the UK, so I'm not sure they'll even check, but would they let me use a Bangkok Bank atm if they do?

Do you know if it's 10k or 20k?

I thought this was more checked on landborders. 

Never carry cash myself or been checked, curious of what happens if checked, so if someone can share their experiences, it would be great. 

• Like 1

In the unlikely event that you do get asked, you need to show 20,000 baht (or an equivalent amount in another currency) in cash.

You cannot show cards, bank statements or bank apps, but if you offer to use your bank app to make a donation towards your IO's child's education fund, all bets are off. ????

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:

In the unlikely event that you do get asked, you need to show 20,000 baht (or an equivalent amount in another currency) in cash.

You cannot show cards, bank statements or bank apps...

Says who, have you ever been denied showing a bank app or bank statement? The immigration law says "must possess adequate cash of or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person"

Having a Thai bank account with more than 20,000 baht in it is possessing the equivalent of 20,000 baht cash. I'd like to hear from one person that has been denied entry when showing a Thai bank account of 20,000 baht +

There won't be any

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Says who, have you ever been denied showing a bank app or bank statement? The immigration law says "must possess adequate cash of or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person"

Having a Thai bank account with more than 20,000 baht in it is possessing the equivalent of 20,000 baht cash. I'd like to hear from one person that has been denied entry when showing a Thai bank account of 20,000 baht +

There won't be any

I remember 5 years ago or so, there where border runs where some few was denied entry back in lack of proven funds. Thats the only stories comes to mind I remember 

Edited by Hummin

Never been asked in 14 years of monthly arrivals using visa free entry, but I have friends from India who have been checked several times, and as there's no ATM's before immigration, it can be a problem.  I guess more checks for visa on arrival?

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I remember 5 years ago or so, there where border runs where some few was denied entry back in lack of proven funds. Thats the only stories comes to mind I remember 

Well border runs have often been iffy and more to do with living in Thailand for years without having a proper visa, so 20,000 baht could be used to prevent entry. To me that's all this is, a reason to refuse entry to the people that are not real tourists (and likely looking like a homeless person with thongs and 20 year old singlet)

The OP is a tourist so should be fine like all the rest of us that have never been asked to show cash

Edited by aussiexpat

18 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

There won't be any

Says who? Each and every report I've read on here from someone who was asked to show cash.

As you correctly said in another post, this doesn't happen to many people, but if and when immigration ask, they do so because they are looking for a reason to deny entry - and in that case, they won't go out of their way to accommodate those they choose to ask. I think in most cases they realize that they have the funds, albeit not in cash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

For last 14 years been entering thailand 2-3 times annually. Never had cash only card.

Never been asked by immigration.

Same here. Even when interviewed about coming again to Thailand, never been asked about cash. I always had enough on me, but, at least arriving by air, it's pointless.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

47 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

There won't be any

Equivalent refers to foreign  currency Equivalent but if you are so convinced you are right then you do it next time..lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Equivalent refers to foreign  currency Equivalent but if you are so convinced you are right then you do it next time..lol

14 years coming to Thailand 3-5 times a year and never asked for 20,000 cash. I'm pretty sure immigration think I'm not a risk so they don't ask

Seriously though, do you honestly think that if they try to deny entry for not having 20,000 baht cash, a Thai bank app showing 200,000 baht in the bank would not satisfy them. Of course it would

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 1

@DrJack54 full of laughing icons. Not surprised since you constantly tell people they must have 20,000 baht cash on them and have a return flight ticket to enter, despite many people like me never having to show either in about 60 trips to Thailand

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

14 years coming to Thailand 3-5 times a year and never asked for 20,000 cash. I'm pretty sure immigration think I'm not a risk so they don't ask

Seriously though, do you honestly think that if they try to deny entry for not having 20,000 baht cash, a Thai bank app showing 200,000 baht in the bank would not satisfy them. Of course it would

Put your money where your mouth is to test your theory- it's a classic: put up or shut up situation

You assert on the basis of assumption and guessing only.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Put your money where your mouth is to test your theory- it's a classic: put up or shut up situation

You assert on the basis of assumption and guessing only.

So you want me to dress like a bag of <deleted> so immigration think I'm a homeless druggie and don't have $650 to my name...no thanks, I'll just keep entering looking respectable and never get asked to show 20,000 baht

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

@DrJack54 full of laughing icons. Not surprised since you constantly tell people they must have 20,000 baht cash on them and have a return tickets to enter, despite many people like me never having to show either in about 60 trips to Thailand

The laughing emote is because you are incorrect.

The cash on your person (while never checked) needs to be in baht or equivalent currency.

CASH.

As for onward ticket (note does not need to be return) flying visa exempt it a requirement for majority of airlines. 

• Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

As for onward ticket (note does not need to be return) flying visa exempt it a requirement for majority of airlines. 

<deleted>, Thai Airways, Singapore, Etihad, Emirates have never asked me for an outward bound ticket

I'm sure many other airlines I've not flown would also not ask

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

<deleted>, Thai Airways, Singapore, Etihad, Emirates have never asked me for an outward bound ticket

Flying in on visa exemption? I have been asked every time I had a different airline on my return. Not necessarily had to show, but asked. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Firstly required onward flight for visa exempt is not topic of this thread. 

Secondly MANY reports of one being required. You will find them in the several threads on that topic on AseanNow..

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Flying in on visa exemption? I have been asked every time I had a different airline on my return. Not necessarily had to show, but asked. 

Always visa exemption, normally fly one-way to give flexibility, never asked to show ongoing ticket or 20,000 Baht so maybe I just dress better than Jacko who insists you must have both

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Firstly required onward flight is not topic of this thread. 

Secondly MANY reports of one being required. You will find them in the several threads on that topic on AseanNow..

And every one of those threads will have you posting you must have an onward flight lol

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

And every one of those threads will have you posting you must have an onward flight lol

Because in the majority of cases an onward flight is required by airline if no visa or reentry permit

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2