How much cash you do need to carry for visa exempt entry?

27 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Seriously though, do you honestly think that if they try to deny entry for not having 20,000 baht cash, a Thai bank app showing 200,000 baht in the bank would not satisfy them.

Yes I do think that, because as I just mentioned, there have been several entirely plausible first-hand accounts of exactly this kind of thing happening over the years. 

Now it does always surprise me slightly when this happens because like you, I have entered Thailand dozens of times over the last several decades on visa exempt entries and never, ever been asked for proof of funds.

But that doesn't alter the fact that multiple people have reported it happening to them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yes I do think that, because as I just mentioned, there have been several entirely plausible first-hand accounts of exactly this kind of thing happening over the years. 

Now it does always surprise me slightly when this happens because like you, I have entered Thailand dozens of times over the last several decades on visa exempt entries and never, ever been asked for proof of funds.

But that doesn't alter the fact that multiple people have reported it happening to them.

I've never seen it reported at Airports, mainly land borders where they've ducked over for an hour to stay indefinitely in Thailand without a proper visa

Edited by aussiexpat

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Always visa exemption, normally fly one-way to give flexibility, never asked to show ongoing ticket or 20,000 Baht so maybe I just dress better than Jacko who insists you must have both

I can assure my dress code is appropriate as my apperance. Never been asked for a return on arrival, just by airline if I did not book return with same company. 

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Well border runs have often been iffy and more to do with living in Thailand for years without having a proper visa, so 20,000 baht could be used to prevent entry. To me that's all this is, a reason to refuse entry to the people that are not real tourists (and likely looking like a homeless person with thongs and 20 year old singlet)

The OP is a tourist so should be fine like all the rest of us that have never been asked to show cash

Bang on.  I've never heard of anyone being refused entry purely because they didn't have the required 20,000 baht (in reality).  What I have seen is border runners or others who the I.O. considers have spent a questionable amount of time in Thailand without the correct visa, denied entry using the lack of funds as an excuse.

If you are entering through an airport, I believe there is no limit in law, to the amount of entries you can make but the rules do say you need to have 20k (or equivalent) in cash - so if the I.O. is unhappy about your entry but has no other legal reason to refuse you, they just use the 20k rule.

If it was purely about the 20k, I think they'd let you go to an ATM - as we know, they don't.

I've never been checked but I usually carry 20k as a mininum.

• Like 1

Imagine a World where it's free to come to Thailand without an onward ticket or 20,000 baht cash in your pocket

Oh wait it is, only some posters tell you it's mandatory and you'll be flown home without lol

Said posters should be forced to post their arrival pic where they do their best to look like a homeless bum

I always travel with cash, don't see what the big deal is. If you travel visa exempt without an onward ticket, be prepared to buy one. I've been asked many, many times for proof of onward travel. For 12 dollars you can have an onward flight itinerary, again what's the big deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

You cannot show cards, bank statements or bank apps, but if you offer to use your bank app to make a donation towards your IO's child's education fund, all bets are off.

In my 20 years travel to Thailand I have never carried cash but always prepared to transfer money for their educational fund if asked for. After all they also have hope and aspirations but not lucky enough to be born in a Western country. Whatever I could do to help them. 

Those who have been able to fly in with a one way ticket on a visa exempt entry are just lucky on the airport you fly from. The majority of airlines from the majority of airports will, have, and do refuse boarding in those circumstances.
I have flown from the U.K. with no onward ticket a couple of times.

I’ve witnessed people being refused checkin for no onward ticket.

there are numbers of reports of people being refused entry at airports because they didn’t have the minimum cash or equivalent. I used to carry traveler's cheques to cover the requirement. I have never been asked to show cash, others have, I’ve never been asked to show an onward ticket others have and have been refused entry.

Your personal experience is irrelevant. Hundreds  of thousands of travelers have never been checked, hundreds have been refused entry. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No just dress normally- singlet, shorts and thong, and explain  to immigration  you have no cash - will your bank card do?

Anyone whose normal dress coming through immigration is shorts, thongs and singlet deserve everything they get lol

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If you are entering through an airport, I believe there is no limit in law, to the amount of entries you can make but the rules do say you need to have 20k (or equivalent) in cash - so if the I.O. is unhappy about your entry but has no other legal reason to refuse you, they just use the 20k rule.

Reportedly, having the cash ready and flashing it, won't save you from being denied entry if they think you've been here 'too often'.

53 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Reportedly, having the cash ready and flashing it, won't save you from being denied entry if they think you've been here 'too often'.

No, agreed but quite what excuse reason the I.O. would use in that case, I know not but probably 'suspected of working illegaly'.  I doubt many would argue too much but as I understand it, you have a right of appeal.  However, I believe that to make that appeal you have to be prepared to spend a while locked in an immigration jail until the appeal is heard - I can't see too many 'tourists' being prepared to do that unless they intend staying in Thailand long term but even then............

Some posters muddy the waters to questions such as this stating personal experience as regulatory fact and then get themselves into petty ???? fights over irrelevant things such as dress code !!!....   

Regulations: 

You must have 20,000 baht or currency equivalent in cash (40,000 baht for a family / Cards or an app showing >20,000 baht will not suffice). 

Entering Visa Exempt you must also have a return or onward flight.

Reality: 

The amount of money someone is carrying is very rarely checked. I’ve never been checked. 

But that does not mean it doesn’t or won’t happen.

This ’20,000 baht’ technicality is usually used to reject people from ‘poorer nations’ whom Immigration suspect but can’t prove of entering to work in Thailand (i.e. African and some Asian nations).

But, there have also been stories (on this forum) of people who were refused entry on the technicality of not carrying 20,000 baht after making too many back to back tourist / visa exempt visits (link below)

The no onward flight technicality has also been used as a reason to reject people (again, examples on this forum in the past). 

In many cases an airline will check if you have a valid Visa or an onward flight. 

This sometimes depends on country of departure and airline.

My Visa status is checked pretty much every flight into Thailand I take (so no need for an onward flight).

Mudding the waters: 

Some argue that they regularly enter visa exempt and they are never checked for onward flight. 

Lucky for them. That does not change the regulation or the fact that there is a probability of being checked. 

ONLY sensible advice: 

Meet the requirements: 

1) Carry enough Cash (don’t rely on cards or a banking App)

2) Have an onward ticket IF your Visa status requires it (or means to quickly purchase one either at departure airport if checked, or arrival if checked by Immigration).

https://aseannow.com/topic/992844-some-tourist-visa-holders-being-asked-to-show-20000-baht-in-cash-when-entering-thailand/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1063949-denied-entry-to-thailand/

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, KhaoYai said:

Which is of course, ridiculous - as is the fact that they won't let people go to an ATM. The cash requirement is just used as a reason when they don't actually have a legal one.

There is no ATM airside which is one of the issues. 

And yes... difficult and awkward Immi officers have used the ‘cash technicality’ to deny entry to people they suspect of working illegally or just don’t like the look of or those who have too many back to back tourist or visa exempt entries. 

The requirement to have enough money to support ones stay makes sense - but as you say, this could be in Credit Cards, Overseas Accounts, Thai accounts and doesn’t need to be in cash. 

That said: I carry cash anyway (about US$1000 emergency money just in case tech fails / cards get blocked etc - its happened a few times). 

The same nonsensical requirements exist with Visa extensions... having at  least 400,000 or 800,000 baht in the account for at least 2 months....  Even if someone had 10 Million Baht in their account, if their account had dropped below the ‘400 or 800 k Baht threshold’ for a day they’d be rejected... 

• Sad 1

Arrived a few days ago and Im British with a visa exempt. They never asked for any proof of funds, only checked I had a TP twice. 

They should be more concerned about touching everyones phone that enters. Who knows how many people had Covid that entered before me and all the phones that were touched by the TP person and immigration officer. ????

Still no contactless payment available and everyone still using cash and spreading the virus. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Still no contactless payment available and everyone still using cash and spreading the virus

Don't think you should have come to Thailand. Thinking your expectations won't be met.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, misterphil said:

They should be more concerned about touching everyones phone that enters. Who knows how many people had Covid that entered before me and all the phones that were touched by the TP person and immigration officer. ????

Still no contactless payment available and everyone still using cash and spreading the virus. 

Didn't they provide those pump bottles of hand sanitizer on the counter?  That's a lack of planning.

You never know, they could becoming very generous  and make up for all those lost tourists for the last 2 years by starting to provide tubes of lube..you know, to make the scams and rip offs less irritating.

Cash, glorious cash, baby. One of the few sources of freedom left. Welcome to the LOS.

Edited by formanth

Been coming to Thailand for 39 years including a 12 year stint working as an expat in Bangkok.  Have flown in and out of the country on numerous airlines from various countries.  Have also entered a number of times from all the neigbouring border countries via bus/train, etc.  I have never been asked to present 20,000 baht or the equivalent in foreign funds.  I've only done a "border run" once in all that time and had no issues whatsoever.  

• Like 1