Old Chestnut, New Times - Transfer Money Into Thailand.

A lot has happened in the last few years. So, can some kind person tell me how to send the proceeds of a house sale in the UK to Thailand efficiently and at a reasonable cost, please? I have a bank account in Thailand and know that bank to bank transfer is ordinarily the cheapest but what broker should I use, please?

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

In December to January I shipped via wise £100k plus in up to 10k amounts daily to Kbank check the rates out before you send all easy most instant- 5 days max ???? 

Did you price it up against doing a one-off SWIFT transfer or even 3 Wise transfers at their max of 2,000,000 THB daily?

• Like 2

Thanks to all who have replied. The state of the Thai Baht is a worry and I can appreciate that even a small fall in its value can make a big difference to my finances. It's a gamble either way. 

My present account is with Bangkok Bank and I would be looking at an immediate transfer of £!50,000, in installments if needed. 

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Easy if you don't want it automatically marked as an International Transfer for Immigration or property purchase requirements.

Can you explain this, please? My money is intended for immigration and the building of a house on land my wife owns. How does it being "marked" make a difference, please?

5 minutes ago, Onerak said:

800K in Thai bank for immigration purposes is not required to be marked as foreign sourced unless it is also used for obtaining a Non-O visa from a TB/visa exempt entry. Expenses to build a house is also not need to be marked as a foreign sourced. 

Yes, I wasn't clear enough as thinking more about Wise than the end use.

Buying a condo then the money needs to be brought in but not building a house which you won't own anyway.

Immigration if using the monthly income method, and as you describe.

1 hour ago, can123 said:

My present account is with Bangkok Bank and I would be looking at an immediate transfer of £!50,000, in installments if needed. 

If I were you, I would bring the money as need. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, can123 said:

Have you thought about using the Bangkok Bank branch in the UK to transfer funds to your account here, I've heard that for larger amounts you might be able to negotiate a better rate? bangkokbank/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

Do you need to bring all the funds to Thailand now, or might you want to consider leaving some in your UK bank, always a gamble when you factor in possible future exchange rates and changes of plans.

• Like 1

My advice would be to open a Bangkok bank account in London on line then swift code the funds free of charge to the London branch of Bangkok Bank who will transfer the funds in one transaction in either Thai baht or pound sterling for a charge of 20/25 pounds to your Thai account in one day . .As the rate of exchange currently  is very low i would recommend a pound sterling transfer and you can change to Thai baht any time in the future at no cost.

10 hours ago, can123 said:

Thanks to all who have replied. The state of the Thai Baht is a worry and I can appreciate that even a small fall in its value can make a big difference to my finances. It's a gamble either way. 

I believe with Bangkok  Bangkok  it will automatically  be classified as an international  transfer  by Wise BUT  You are not a Wise member so JUST DO THE SIMPLE EASY thing use your UK bank to transfer the money to a Thai bank using Swift.

Swift provides an options list of reasons for your transfer.

Send 10k then come here and sort it out as is required- no need to rush at all.

Keep your money in a relatively safe place till you need it.

Why send it all here?

15 minutes ago, jippytum said:

My advice would be to open a Bangkok bank account in London on line then swift code the funds free of charge to the London branch of Bangkok Bank who will transfer the funds in one transaction in either Thai baht or pound sterling for a charge of 20/25 pounds to your Thai account in one day .

If the London Branch operates the same way as their New York branch, you cannot open an account with the Bangkok Bank branch. The New York branch is a commercial bank and does not provide retail accounts.  Instead, it acts as a pass through for funds from a USA bank to the customer's Thai bank account. 

Can you explain this, please? My money is intended for immigration and the building of a house on land my wife owns. How does it being "marked" make a difference, please?

Put WISE in the search box and you will get HUNDREDS of answers, some quite differing

You may require FET certificate as proof if you ever want to take your money out of the country in the future.

13 hours ago, Onerak said:

800K in Thai bank for immigration purposes is not required to be marked as foreign sourced unless it is also used for obtaining a Non-O visa from a TB/visa exempt entry. Expenses to build a house is also not need to be marked as a foreign sourced. 

But if they are marked up and an advice credit note is obtained, you can transfer it back out again should you need to.

But using Wise and funds for long term stay in Thailand you can get it out again fairly easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Have you thought about using the Bangkok Bank branch in the UK to transfer funds to your account here, I've heard that for larger amounts you might be able to negotiate a better rate? bangkokbank/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch

Do you need to bring all the funds to Thailand now, or might you want to consider leaving some in your UK bank, always a gamble when you factor in possible future exchange rates and changes of plans.

At first glance this is attractive because Bangkok Bank's fees are low. Unfortunately, their exchange rates are very poor and I have ruled them out. Thank you, anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, can123 said:

At first glance this is attractive because Bangkok Bank's fees are low. Unfortunately, their exchange rates are very poor and I have ruled them out. Thank you, anyway.

Using Wise you get a better rate than transferring direct to Bangkok Bank. I agree that their forex rates directly are lower, but transferring via Wise always gives a better rate.