Have the authorities perhaps lost the plot?

webfact

image.jpeg

OPINION

Last Saturday the Chonburi province saw recorded Covid cases under a manageable figure with Bang Lamung district which includes Pattaya averaging less than 100 cases a day.

Therefore, nightlife in the area is now allowed to operate until midnight all over the region, especially in Pattaya.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is keen to encourage local and overseas travellers and has been promoting and even in some cases being the main sponsor of special events around the country 

One such event The Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2022 seemed to attract large crowds despite heavy rain falling on Hua Hin for much of Saturday.

The rain finally cleared for the start of the festival, before falling again mid-way through American star Kenny G’s set.

“Sorry about the rain”, Kenny told the audience.

The wet weather didn’t take anything away from the event, with the crowd seemingly enjoying every minute of Kenny G’s two-hour set.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

image.jpeg

Creamfields Pattaya

TAT was behind bringing the Creamfields music event over from the UK to Pattaya for two nights of top international DJs and lights and special effects on a massive stage.

Creamfields is a large British dance-music festival featuring world-class DJ's and live acts. 

Due to Creamfield’s reputation in the UK, the Pattaya tickets sold out online within hours of going on sale.
Hosted by Nong Nooch Gardens, this monster event would attract many to stay in the region for the two nights event.

There were many photos online showing thousands enjoying the UK events and even the poster to promote Creamfields Pattaya also showed masses dancing and having a good time.

However apparently, rumours started surfacing on social media as the venue was being set up, showing row upon row of white plastic chairs in front of the stage.

Also, local authorities decided at the last minute to remind festivalgoers that alcohol was banned and no dancing too.

Having laid out up to THB4,300 to attend many were naturally upset that the whole point of these mega event, is it is a large dance-music festival featuring world-class DJ's and live acts.

I am assuming that the TAT and local authorities plus the host venue must have done their own research before agreeing to go ahead in the first place.

It is not hard to find Creamfields described on Wikipedia, as an electronic dance music festival series founded and organised by British club promoter Cream.

Their UK edition takes place on August Bank Holiday weekends, with a number of international editions held across various territories worldwide.

Over 280,000 people have attended the last UK version, with a daily attendance of 70,000.

I think for once the public has a right to know when will sense prevail.

With Thai airports stopping test and go and Thailand Passes, surely isn’t it now safe to enjoy ourselves, whether squashed together at a bar on Walking Street or at an open-air festival.

Maybe if you went to these events, please let us have your views too?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Plot what plot, Thai Authorities and mainly meaning tat have never had a plot their combined brains are incapable of running a plot let alone losing what they never had. 

Typical Thai Authorities double speak and dictarorial actions to spoil it for anything NOT Thai organised . Foreigners just do not understand Thainess ( stupidity ) . 

The cover photo shows how it looks like when old men with gastritis and rheumatism plan a dance festival. They probably got the thousands of plastic chairs from the airport arrival halls. Those in power who determine people's lives are now so old that they have lost contact with the younger part of the population.

• Like 1

Meanwhile on the front line - three weeks ago a Thai friend of mine came down with Covid. Two years ago this would have shut down the province. The hospital she went to gave her some pills and told her to go home and self-quarantine. For all intents and purposes, Covid is over in the real world. End the Thai Pass and move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

I am kinda negative on him as well, but it said he did a 2 hour set which I gotta applaud (no pun intended).

That is a pretty lengthy set.

Pff. The mighty Manowar once played a 5 hour set...

10 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Err, I saw no announcement yet regarding stopping of Thai Pass. Did I miss something?

Good point about about it now being as safe as possible. Let's get on with life <deleted>!

I saw an announcement here on TV/AN saying the TP was finishing on 1st June then saw another one saying that it's not. It is all just so confusing. These soldiers in charge of the country sure have a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Pff. The mighty Manowar once played a 5 hour set...

Allman Brothers last time they played The Fillmore West - SIX and a half hours! Sure they took breaks and repeated a song or two, but those were the days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smedly said:

cases of what

a runny nose

Thais that I know for years go to hospital or doctor for a cold, go away with a hamper of multi coloured pills, if you have a runny nose buy a box of cleaned, covid is finished, why does Thailand need to keep this going ?  - I know the answer and I am sure most people also know...................................I feel another emergency budget coming were these bent ## just keep filling their pockets ...............................it is on another scale - we have seen how the Russian elete have helped themselves - this is what happens when you have zero fiscal accountability ...............basically people in power helping themselves   and writting laws/legislation that hides all of it, my best guess is that Thailand is right up there with Russian and all the rest, theiving on a grand scale 

How little you know about the Real world regarding corruption. In every country the same is going on but here in the Western country's we are very good at covering it up. they could learn from us