Kanchanaburi court set to decide fate of Brit who murdered Kalasin woman and stuffed her in red bag

webfact

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how did the body get from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi? and dumped in the river? you don't think that's kinda important? 

Do you know what he confessed ? Do you think you got all the information ? Just because its not in the news does not mean its not known. He has confessed a confession is more then saying I did it it also details how he did it. Maybe one day we get court transcripts. But just because you dont know how it was done does not mean it is not known.

Obviously the profesionals with more info as you think its a valid cas + confession. Yet you just don't want to revise your opinion.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

So if they know there is enough evidence against them then they rather confess then to go to court. In the west you don't get a reduced sentence for confessing. In Thailand you do I believe even 50% or so. So its easy to explain.

Let's get some FACTS in here.

1. Plead guilty in Thailand and yes, you may receive a 50% reduction in sentence. However, sentencing in Thailand can be massively harsher than in the West for the same crime. If you faced a 10-year sentence in Thailand for an offence with a 1-year tariff in your home country, I bet you'd plead guilty.

2. The Thai justice system will typically see an individual face separate trials for the same crime if committed in different localities. You commit the offence above in Bangkok, Udon Thani and Hat Yai. When caught, you are likely to be sentenced to 10 years in Bangkok, then get transferred to Udon Thani for trial, serve sentence, then get transferred to Hat Yai ... I know a Brit who did 13 years in the 1980s/1990s for cheque fraud. Cashed stolen travellers cheques in various different provinces and got 2 years for each cheque.

3. There is no plea bargaining in the Thai justice system. So your options for a lower sentence are basically plead guilty to whatever charge(s) you face. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you know what he confessed ? Do you think you got all the information ? Just because its not in the news does not mean its not known. He has confessed a confession is more then saying I did it it also details how he did it. Maybe one day we get court transcripts. But just because you dont know how it was done does not mean it is not known.

Obviously the profesionals with more info as you think its a valid cas + confession. Yet you just don't want to revise your opinion.

It was stated in one of the many reports I read today that they don't know how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi but you don't think that's important, ok. You'd think the person who confessed would describe how the body got to the Kanchanaburi river, not in this case, not important 

Edited by scubascuba3

20 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Let's get some FACTS in here.

1. Plead guilty in Thailand and yes, you may receive a 50% reduction in sentence. However, sentencing in Thailand can be massively harsher than in the West for the same crime. If you faced a 10-year sentence in Thailand for an offence with a 1-year tariff in your home country, I bet you'd plead guilty.

2. The Thai justice system will typically see an individual face separate trials for the same crime if committed in different localities. You commit the offence above in Bangkok, Udon Thani and Hat Yai. When caught, you are likely to be sentenced to 10 years in Bangkok, then get transferred to Udon Thani for trial, serve sentence, then get transferred to Hat Yai ... I know a Brit who did 13 years in the 1980s/1990s for cheque fraud. Cashed stolen travellers cheques in various different provinces and got 2 years for each cheque.

3. There is no plea bargaining in the Thai justice system. So your options for a lower sentence are basically plead guilty to whatever charge(s) you face. 

Your facts are not different from my facts, fact remains he confessed to get 50% reduction. He obviously feel they had enough evidence against him. 

Fact the EU courts have looked at evidence and found the case valid. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It was stated in one of the many reports I read today that they don't know how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi but you don't think that's important, ok. You'd think the person who confessed would describe how the body got to the Kanchanaburi river, not in this case, not important 

Show me a link to that report and show me that this isnt said during the trial. I mean People can write anything you know. Were they at the court case ? 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Show me a link to that report and show me that this isnt said during the trial. I mean People can write anything you know. Were they at the court case ? 

I've scanned about 5 versions today different outlets, if I find it again I'll post it or you look

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So they did not say anything about how it was done just that he confessed. 

Sounds more that they did not talk about anything and just sentenced him. That is not proof they don't know. Only proof that he reporter was not present with other hearings and stuff. This was just the sentencing. Guess not interesting enough.

According to a friend who is a lawyer this data can be made public if reporters really want it. But takes some effort. some cases they don't when it could damage the case (like witness tampering and evidence tampering). But that does not apply in this case. Maybe more will come out later if reporters really want to dig. 

But seems that sentencing is just that.. reading the sentence. Not a rehash of the case. (that happened probably on other court days)

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Can't do that.

Admissions of guilt in a Thai court gets an automatic commutation of a any death sentence rendered.

Probably 4 or 5 years served here then sent back to serve the remainder in the UK whereupon he will get early release (not life).

One never knows here, people have been found dead in jail.

May that be suicide or with some inside help.

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange that in Thailand so many people admit the crime, it's almost unbelievable how they do it, rarely happens in the west. They should train western countries police how to get such a quick confession almost every time

I think the fact they know that it halves their sentence has something to do with it.

In many Western jurisdictions, admitting to a crime and pleading guilty, while it will be taken into consideration by a judge at sentencing, is not a guarantee of a reduced sentence.

In Thailand, it pretty much is. So if you know you're guilty and they've got you bang to rights then it's firmly in your interest to admit to the crime.

And that's indeed what has happened here. He was sentenced initially to 16 years, reduced to 8 because he pleaded guilty.

British man convicted of 2014 murder of Thai woman

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is rather condescending towards Bar girls .

Bargirls are Humans just like everyone else and the same laws apply to them as well , and if you kill a bargirl , you should get the same sentence if you killed a non bargirl

I think you missed my point.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

disgusting comment; she was a human being, and she did not deserve to be slaughtered however she chose to live her life.

You also missed my point completely.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think the fact they know that it halves their sentence has something to do with it.

In many Western jurisdictions, admitting to a crime and pleading guilty, while it will be taken into consideration by a judge at sentencing, is not a guarantee of a reduced sentence.

In Thailand, it pretty much is. So if you know you're guilty and they've got you bang to rights then it's firmly in your interest to admit to the crime.

And that's indeed what has happened here. He was sentenced initially to 16 years, reduced to 8 because he pleaded guilty.

British man convicted of 2014 murder of Thai woman

I'm sure people confess when they aren't guilty to get a lower sentence. Be interesting to find out in this case how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and dumped in the river, if he confessed he must know the detail

Edited by scubascuba3

On 5/31/2022 at 6:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Correct, he bar fined her so must be guilty. Open and shut case in Thailand

He was also the last person seen with her. He also made a plea of guilty. Sometimes your posts need a lot of fleshing out and research instead of the bunkum you posted here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He was also the last person seen with her. He also made a plea of guilty. Sometimes your posts need a lot of fleshing out and research instead of the bunkum you posted here.

According to this, he bar fined her in Bangkok, she later turned up in a suitcase in a Kanchanaburi river, they don't know how she got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi.  Explain that Sherlock? pleaded guilty 555

https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/former-british-hua-hin-resident-sentenced-for-murder/

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, BusyB said:

She was only a bar girl.

He's got money by the looks of things.

No she was NOT only a bar girl,

She was also a daughter and a mother, a member of a family and also a human being, in the same way that you are supposedly a human being.

Her life was worth as much, if not more, than yours is now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm sure people confess when they aren't guilty to get a lower sentence

an absolutely bizarre concept; so if you were charged with a murder that you knew you were unquestionably not guilty of, you would confess false guilt in order to receive a more lenient sentence …. and if not, why on earth do you think anyone else would

¯\_()_/¯

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

5 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

absolutely bizarre concept; so if you were charged with a murder that you knew you were unquestionably not guilty of, you would confess false guilt in order to receive a more lenient sentence …. and if not, why on earth do you think anyone else would

¯\_()_/¯

I don't know if he is guilty or not but there's important gaps in the story, like how the body got from Bangkok and into a case and into a Kanchanaburi river, it's very fishy

Edited by scubascuba3

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm sure people confess when they aren't guilty to get a lower sentence. Be interesting to find out in this case how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and dumped in the river, if he confessed he must know the detail

Why would anyone care about that in a case that happened 8 years ago, has been dealt with by the court? It is not as if he will get any more jailtime  or time off for being a nice guy,

He wasn;t and still isn't a nice guy at all.

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

According to this, he bar fined her in Bangkok, she later turned up in a suitcase in a Kanchanaburi river, they don't know how she got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi.  Explain that Sherlock? pleaded guilty 555

https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/former-british-hua-hin-resident-sentenced-for-murder/

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who cares.

If YOU want to know, then YOU find out yourself.

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't know if he is guilty or not but there's important gaps in the story, it's very fishy

You have completely ignored the issue that I was questioning you about, which was that you are sure people confess when they aren’t guilty to receive a more lenient sentence …….. hardly surprising that you ignored it

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who cares.

If YOU want to know, then YOU find out yourself.

go and lie down bill it seems to be getting all too much for you. You don't seem to think it's an important that they don't know how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi 555

3 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You have completely ignored the issue that I was questioning you about, which was that you are sure people confess when they aren’t guilty to receive a more lenient sentence …….. hardly surprising that you ignored it

Yes of course people do, not just Thailand, someone earlier mentioned US, probably many countries