PM blames reduced education budget on fewer students due to declining birth rate

snoop1130

9094811C-1797-4119-B7CE-62313ED1DE4B-768x432.jpeg

Thailand’s declining birth rate over the past several years has resulted in fewer students and a commensurate reduction in education budget, from about 330 billion baht this fiscal year to about 325.9 billion baht for 2023, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha in parliament, as he responded to opposition MPs’ questions about why the education budget had been cut, today (Wednesday), the second day of the three-day first reading debate on the annual national budget.

The birth rate in Thailand has been steadily falling over the past 5 years. Approximately 702,000 births were recorded in 2017. In 2020, however, there were only about 587,000, which is the first time in 70 years that the rate has fallen below 600,000. The figure continued to decrease in 2021, when about 544,000 were recorded, the first year in which there were fewer births than deaths, recorded at around 563,000.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Despite the cut, the Education Ministry will still receive the largest slice of the national budget cake, compared to other ministries, followed by Defence, which is set to receive 325.5 billion baht should the bill passed unchanged.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-blames-reduced-education-budget-on-fewer-students-due-to-declining-birth-rate/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Yes , may be in comparison to North Korea and China....

What are they scared of ? Surrounded by enemy states?

How many wars they fought in last 100 years?

You need many to use against your own people?

How big do you think the Thai Army should be and what jobs should the Thai Army be doing ?

10 hours ago, 2long said:

So in the past five years how many of those (fewer) kids are at school yet?

Oh, and what about a thing called inflation?
This guy is a proper one! ????

Karnnt?  Why yes yes he is

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bradiston said:

He's saying that the number of children entering the education system in the future will fall, based on a falling birth rate, so the budget, based on overall numbers of students, is also reduced.

I'm surprised he does not see that as a good thing to buy more tanks, planes and subs !

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Despite the cut, the Education Ministry will still receive the largest slice of the national budget cake, compared to other ministries, followed by Defence, which is set to receive 325.5 billion baht should the bill passed unchanged.

He could cut the defense budget in half, by slimming down the military numbers.

Then offer an annual subsidy per new born child lasting from ages 0-5.

I know I am a bit off topic, but this makes me ponder over what would happen if Thailand introduced generous family allowance as the French did after WW2. We were a single income workers class family, with 4 kids, were the allowances boosted our income 25 to 30%.

Perhaps he believes in the old dictum of other dictators

Keep them uneducated

Poor health

Then they become more desperate for lower paid work and are more controllable

He after all had all his education through the Army  schools and academies, why would anyone else require more?

Highschool and University education only for the elite 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrfill said:

... because if you didn't cut the education budget it would mean more could be spent per child to improve their education, but we can't have that, can we?

Education has always been bottom of the pile when it comes to the budget allocations here. Always has been, under which ever government, and presumably always will be.

Entailing rote learning and blind nationalism, it's not really "education" anyway.

• Like 2

I would imagine the bullet proof glass screen may become a regular thing when announcements are being made that tend to make little or no sense. So your cutting the budget for education and the money is redirected to …. You won’t say that’s also a big problem you want to keep secret. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Does it cost less to educate 27 children in a class rather than 30? Have the costs of equipment, facilities, staff etc etc reduced? Thoroughly misleading IMHO.

Herr General and his gang has been misleading this country since 2014 and will continue to do so.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Education has always been bottom of the pile when it comes to the budget allocations here. Always has been, under which ever government, and presumably always will be.

Entailing rote learning and blind nationalism, it's not really "education" anyway.

I think you'll find education has the biggest budget.

This starts out talking about birth rate, but cites absolute figures, which are interesting but they leave out the fertility rate which google gives as 1.51. I think a society's replacement rate is usually given as 2.1 or 2.2.

Would births have fallen as much if Covid had not happened? 

It gives me hope. If in an urban, modern society people just want to have sex and be free to have fun, maybe the world population will finally fall--long after I'm gone.