Why Do You Choose to Live in Thailand, Rather than Hawaii? You must have a good reason!

Dear Friends,

Nostalgically speaking, Hawaii was once the epitome of romance and luxury, sort of an exotic dream for many, a place of pineapples and volcanoes and missionaries.

These days, you can go anywhere you like by hopping on a jet plane.

Therefore, why do you choose to live in Thailand rather than to live in Hawaii?

Is it the present-day culture of America that causes you to steer clear of these magnificent volcanic islands?

Or, is it the culture of Thailand and the SE Asian food that keeps you here in one of the longest countries, north to south, on Earth?

Thailand, these days, is not the same as it once was, 50 years ago, and therefore, much of the allure of Thailand has become diluted due to ever-intruding influences from the West.

If Thailand, as is true of other countries, is becoming evermore westernized, then why not just live in Hawaii, an equally exotic place, at one time, which has now become totally taken over by western culture?

image.jpeg.78ceb81c154a09f3a71af0279694be13.jpeg

image.jpeg.f5d52dca4fb1f266b9390a6cb2c74aa0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a0fb2ce0a805d1047029a49820e252b2.jpeg

As you can see...

The guys above are very western.

BUT, in Hawaii, the food is terrible.

image.thumb.jpeg.b8e7ad226c20c7cb01ddf14d576aa530.jpeg

By contrast, the food in Thailand is AMAZING!

image.jpeg.8393b76ff79cc7862f7d8f95f8170255.jpeg

And so, my friends....

In my opinion, one should come to Thailand, instead of Hawaii, if one wishes to witness a still-vibrant culture with amazing food from all around the world, a gastronomic delight, and an amalgam of all possible flavors and spices.

What is your opinion, comparing Hawaii to Thailand?

Is it not like comparing Pablum to Stir-fried Pumpkin?

image.jpeg.7056247856230405048901c681e43b42.jpeg

Even the lowliest dish in Thailand is worth two conch-shell-blowing guys in Hawaii. 

If you love Thai food as much as I do,

Then, leaving Thailand is unthinkable.

There are many other reasons why Thailand is far better than Hawaii, except maybe for just a short island hop.

What are they?

Other than the weather?

Regards,

GammaGlobbulin (sp)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Chomsky...

Failed States...

Right?

image.thumb.jpeg.0d24be9de190b7c74690b5d140c7ec03.jpeg

Please note:

In Failed States, Chomsky was not writing, particularly, about the United States.

His criticism extends far and wide, as always.

Therefore:  This Penguin book cover image should be considered both provocative and misleading...for sure.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 2

Hawaii is a nice, scenic place....It is enjoyable for about a week....Two weeks if you island hop..... There's a lot to see and do....

However, island fever is real.....It only takes a short time to take in the sights and local flavor....

I like motoring trips....You can only go in repetitive circles so many times......

Growing up in a state that has virtually everything of natural beauty to offer + hop in a car & drive up to/or well over 20 hours in many directions leaves Hawaii feeling confining after a few trips....

I went there for pleasure as well as sports competitions....After awhile it's wash, rinse, and repeat....

• Like 1

Cost of living in Thailand vs cost of living in Hawaii, no contest.

Thai women vs Hawaiian women, ditto. A Hawaiian woman weighing 40 kg would be as rare as unicorn doo-doo.

Hardly surprising, the breakfast buffets I saw in Hawaiian hotels seemed to be dedicated to maximum calories for guests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. Hawaii is very, very boring. I consider it to be like a vanilla Costa Rica. 

2. Hawaii is spectacularly expensive. Have friends who have left due to the high costs. Unless you own there, you will pay a fortune to rent or buy. 

3. I have never found the people there to be friendly. I like most Thai people alot more. 

4. Thailand is less predictable. I enjoy that. 

5. For a single man over 45, who is not a centimillionaire or famous, you won't see much action. 

6. It is the US, a nation going downhill rapidly. No thanks. 

7. It is way too isolated. With airfares skyrocketing, just not practical, if you enjoy traveling. 

8. However, is pretty, and it is pristine compared to Thailand. If you can afford it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

LOL. If I had made a different decision 33 years ago, I might be American now.

As an expat being American is unusually burdensome.

Must still file U.S. taxes (I think the only other country that does that is Eritrea). 

Must file treasury forms for certain bank account levels with ruinous fines for non compliance. 

Must deal with hostile to expats financial institutions because of xenophobic "security" based laws.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As an expat being American is unusually burdensome.

Must still file U.S. taxes (I think the only other country that does that is Eritrea). 

Must file treasury forms for certain bank account levels with ruinous fines for non compliance. 

Must deal with hostile to expats financial institutions because of xenophobic "security" based laws.

On the plus-side, your country cares about you if you're abroad and in need of help. Mine gives a rat's a**, but cares only about the world's refugees, rather than their own citizens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

On the plus-side, your country cares about you if you're abroad and in need of help. Mine gives a rat's a**, but cares only about the world's refugees, rather than their own citizens.

It does?!?

In my view, the care is focused on individuals with  propaganda value, such as those imprisoned in Russia.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:50 AM, ukrules said:

American passport = American.

I have never wanted to spend too much time in the USA with its weird puritanical heritage,  obsession with guns, its rabid right wing conservatism, now matched with its equally repellent extremist counterpart of deluded woke identitarianism, its institutionalised corruption typified by a combination of its racist  drug laws and its private prisons which just extended Jim Crow slavery, its fundeMENTAL religious  bigotry spilling into politics - No. Its bad enough  having to live on a planet despoiled by America but to live there would be like waking up everyday to a nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I have never wanted to spend too much time in the USA with its weird puritanical heritage,  obsession with guns, its rabid right wing conservatism, now matched with its equally repellent extremist counterpart of deluded woke identitarianism, its institutionalised corruption typified by a combination of its racist  drug laws and its private prisons which just extended Jim Crow slavery, its fundeMENTAL religious  bigotry spilling into politics - No. Its bad enough  having to live on a planet despoiled by America but to live there would be like waking up everyday to a nightmare.

Keep those thoughts to yourself when applying to U.S. immigration. 

I've always felt if I was born in Canada I would have never moved abroad. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:50 AM, ukrules said:

American passport = American.

I get your point but that's overly simplistic. 

Move to a small town in Oklahoma and the experience of ethnic and cultural diversity is going to be massively different than moving to very, very diverse Hawaii. Especially the Asian particularly the Japanese demographic. Also 8 percent of people living there are not actually U.S. citizens. 

Edited by Jingthing