Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You would have got a  lower price playing The National, and had three courses to play on, all three different design philosophy. You can play all three in a day if you have the stamina, included in the price.

The heart of Royal Melbourne is the Composite Course; however, that is only open for professional events. Visitors don't get to play it.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/

Thanks, I might on next trip. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

It's the principal.   OF COURSE.

Skin color?          see price

Passport?        see price

Sexual orientation?   see price

Even if someone with a different skin color has to pay 1 satang more......the Earth could end up fighting!!!   It has happened before.

my dear falang.....take the high road, write to your president in your home country, embassies, politicians, and demand equality!!

Thailand is a developing country. 

The US is not. 

In my lifetime, black US citizens couldn't vote. 

I can't believe it when Americans here moan about discrimination. 

Who is brave enough like Rosa Parks, who wasn't even allowed to sit at the front of a bus. 

Thai people are so much more accommodating to foreign people and those of different ethnicity. 

If you want the discounted price, get citizenship, it ain't hard if you are married to a Thai. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

so is it ok to have ladies nights in bars where ladies get free admission or drinks but guys do not?  pretty common all over the USA ?  discrimination based on gender?  do ladyboys get the discount?

discrimination is not limited to thailand

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Randy99 said:

Price for blood pressure pills in Pattaya, 700B.  Price outside Pattaya, 400B.  

Thai price for banana pancake, 20B.  Foreigner price 40B.

Thai price for street fruit, 10B.  Foreigner price, 20B

I can afford it but am sick of dual pricing.  Cost of health ins. getting to absurd levels with eye watering deductables.

Gettin ready to leave Tland.  Hope others are too.

Unfortunately, long noses often have to pay a higher price.

Flat motorcycle tire 250 baht for long noses, Thai price 150 baht. Changing a watch battery: 150 baht for long noses. Thai price 80 baht.

I could cite countless more examples. The solution: send a Thai to go shopping in all shops that do not have a price list.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Same here. I used to go out of my way to support the local Mom and Pop style businesses, or the market vendors, street food sellers etc. even when it was less convenient for me.

Until they inevitably started trying to rip me off and then I switched to the likes of Tesco where we all customers pay the same price irrespective of race.

Same as I used to go to the parks and spend cash there when they used to accept a drivers licence to pay the local rate. Haven't been in years now.

They really do shoot themselves in the foot sometimes.

It is clear that so many Mam and Pop shops in the tourist regions are losing customers to 7-11, because there, all products have clear prices. Everybody pay the same price for the same product.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand is a developing country. 

The US is not. 

In my lifetime, black US citizens couldn't vote. 

I can't believe it when Americans here moan about discrimination. 

Who is brave enough like Rosa Parks, who wasn't even allowed to sit at the front of a bus. 

Thai people are so much more accommodating to foreign people and those of different ethnicity. 

If you want the discounted price, get citizenship, it ain't hard if you are married to a Thai. 

I don't think your 150 years old, so no you were not alive when black men were given the right to vote in the US  and unless your older than 57 years of age you were around when black women were given the right in 1965 to vote. Here is the info:

"Black men were given voting rights in 1870, while black women were effectively banned until the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965"

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, pomchop said:

so is it ok to have ladies nights in bars where ladies get free admission or drinks but guys do not?  pretty common all over the USA ?  discrimination based on gender?  do ladyboys get the discount?

discrimination is not limited to thailand

The free admission to bars is a draw for men to buy more drinks..m fir the ladies..case in point it is a marketing strategy.  National Park admission fees here unfortunately is not a marketing strategy, if it is its a big fail.

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Nothing to stop you voluntarily paying more than owed. Maybe they could give such people a free t-shirt with a slogan on it saying "I overpayed. I'm virtuous" or similar so you get the respect due from poorer visitors. 

I pay the fee as requested- I feel neither  virtuous or ripped off. It simply does not bother me

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How about poor foreigners with a Thai family?

I just paid 7kbht for the school uniforms of a village kid I just took in.

And another 7kbht for the school uniforms for my kid (government school).

Well done - You can surely pay a modest entrance fee then. The poor children get in cheap and you the generous,  wealthy foreigner pays more - the price  of a couple of beers. Probably  do you good. Or don't  visit  places that  you can't afford  or upset  you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wrong again.  Dual pricing as it is in Thailand is everyone not Thai pays more than a Thai,

Dual pricing is the practice of setting different prices in different markets for the same product or service. Where in the definition of dual pricing does race come in? I agree the common cause of dual pricing in Thailand is race, but you were saying in other countries like US and Aus it doesn't exist and is called Non resident pricing, whereas it is just dual pricing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I don't think your 150 years old, so no you were not alive when black men were given the right to vote in the US  and unless your older than 57 years of age you were around when black women were given the right in 1965 to vote. Here is the info:

"Black men were given voting rights in 1870, while black women were effectively banned until the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965"

You get my point.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Stating a ‘wrong’ doesn’t justify the existence of another wrong....

I never stated it was wrong, just the way it was. 

It's rather ironic if it's white male Americans complaining about racial discrimination. 

I use my whiteness to my advantage in Thailand. 

17 hours ago, ChissBurger said:

Is this as commonplace in Vietnam and Cambodia?

cambodia yes(Cambodians get in for free)                                                                                                       Vietnam no(they stopped this <deleted> years ago)                                                                                              Parks in Thailand used to be 5 Baht for everyone:i regularly biked in Khao Yai in the nineties until somebody got the idea of Farang gouging.just say no                                                               

Always some trying to make it a racial thing, when it obviously isn't. 

Self-entitled colonial types. 

It happens everywhere.

Taj mahal is cheaper for locals, foreigners pay 30 times more.

Machu Pichu, 20 times more. 

Borobudur, 5 times.

Fort Jesus, 3 times.

Victoria Falls, 4 times. 

Galapogos Park, 15 times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So stop talking about it and do it.

Foreigner National Pink ID Card available from Municipal or Interior Ministry with Foreigner House Registration Yellow Book.

National Parks might also accept Thai Drivers License ?
As that’s also a Govt. Photo ID accepted Everywhere Here.  
National Parks would otherwise be the ONLY Govt/ Private institution here NOT to accept TDL????

43 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I never stated it was wrong, just the way it was. 

It's rather ironic if it's white male Americans complaining about racial discrimination. 

I use my whiteness to my advantage in Thailand. 

White males can’t complain about anything these days.... We’re the ‘minority’ which is no longer permitted a voice, it seems !!... 

But, this is not an issue of white males... It is an issue about dual pricing based on nationality instead of residency. 

Edited by richard_smith237

34 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I'm a farang. I get the reduced Thai discount, proving it's not based on race. 

I thought that you are a Thai Citizen ?

He is...  and he’s right, the dual pricing is not based on race. But it is based on nationality and that in itself is wrong. 

IF there is to be any dual pricing the only manner in which it is justifiable or acceptable (IMO) is if it is based solely on residency (as it is anywhere else in the world).

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. how...   IF someone is married but not working in Thailand ?

Foreigner Pink ID Card ( from Yellow House Book) gets you Thai NP rates. No need to be Thai or Married to Thai. And maybe Thai Drivers License  ? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Foreigner National Pink ID Card available from Municipal or Interior Ministry with Foreigner House Registration Yellow Book.

National Parks might also accept Thai Drivers License ?

They don’t (or most don’t).

Some do accept pink ID, others don’t and insist on showing Thai nationality (if you look non Thai) to enter with the Thai price. 

7 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

As that’s also a Govt. Photo ID accepted Everywhere Here.  
National Parks would otherwise be the ONLY Govt/ Private institution here NOT to accept TDL????

It would be far ‘less clumsy’ of the Thai authorities just to stop state sanctioned dual pricing - they’re not making that much ‘extra’ from dual pricing compared to the poor optics the practice highlights. 

At least allow Thai DL and Pink ID - which means any dual pricing is based on residency status only which is less distasteful. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

White males can’t complain about anything these days.... We’re the ‘minority’ which is no longer permitted a voice, it seems !!... 

But, this is not an issue of white males... It is an issue about dual pricing based on nationality instead of residency. 

Wrong. Foreigner Pink ID Card gets you Thai NP Rates. Nothing to do with Race or Nationality only Registered Home Residence. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They don’t (or most don’t).

Some do accept pink ID, others don’t and insist on showing Thai nationality (if you look non Thai) to enter with the Thai price. 

It would be far ‘less clumsy’ of the Thai authorities just to stop state sanctioned dual pricing - they’re not making that much ‘extra’ from dual pricing compared to the poor optics the practice highlights. 

At least allow Thai DL and Pink ID - which means any dual pricing is based on residency status only which is less distasteful. 

Stop It! Making Too Much Sense from Reason & Logic. Counter Cultural here. ????????????????

Edited by TropicalGuy

Most U.S. states charge many folds more for out-of-state residents for everything from college tuition to park entry fees to hunting/fishing licences. Even the private theme parks offer special deep discounted lower pricing for in-state residents.

As much as I don't like to pay more than others, I really don't see too much of a problem in the "locals" getting better pricing. Where I see a problem is outright gouging (20X more is) or resident foreigners paying the "tourist" prices.