It's all going cashless!

proton

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting that you know exactly what the governments will and won’t turn a blind eye to....

Ultimately, any information which is collected can be useable in some form....  there are information leaks, data breaches, privacy compromises.....     

Its very easy to say we have nothing to worry about because ‘they’ (whoever they are) are not interested in us, but we have no idea how information will be used in the future. 

I understand that this may concern some...  Cambridge Analytica anyone ?

It was the same with (before )CCTV cameras

Before there were CCTV cameras everywhere , there were  some people who were concerned that CCTV cameras would be watching them , watching where they go and what they do and what they buy .

Look, no one cares about where you go and what you do  and there's not some guy in an office watching your every move and watching what you buy and eat . 

"I gave Lek a 1000 Baht today "

No one cares 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

In the west Google pay or a fallback contactless card.. All so simple and if you use the right banking apps all with auto budgeting and categorization of spending etc... 

All for it (less so Thais QR systems and no consumer protection). 

I haven't lived in the UK since 1999. Cash worked for me just about every country I worked in. I did have a bank account in Germany and one in New Zealand but hat was more for tax purposes than anything else.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Here in the UK , you scan your goods at a supermarket yourself , then touch your ATM card against the scanner , it deducts the money and you pack your bags and leave .

No contact with any person or contact with any money

Yeah, Tops have those self scanners in Bangkok .... but they seem a bit unreliable now that you're not packing into free carrier bags.  You have to put the items on the bagging shelf, or the machine complains at you in Thai.

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Yeah, Tops have those self scanners in Bangkok .... but they seem a bit unreliable now that you're not packing into free carrier bags.  You have to put the items on the bagging shelf, or the machine complains at you in Thai.

Yes, the idea is to place your goods on one side of the scanner , scan your goods and then put them in a bag on the other side of the scanner .

Its quite easy to do, but if you do it wrong the machine will tell you what you are doing wrong 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, the idea is to place your goods on one side of the scanner , scan your goods and then put them in a bag on the other side of the scanner .

Its quite easy to do, but if you do it wrong the machine will tell you what you are doing wrong 

Amusingly I thought I’d be clever, avoid the queues at the main check-out and use self check-out at Tops a few weeks ago - The ‘assistant’ had to help out 3x, each time I had to wait for her as she was helping someone else at the other self-check-out !!

It would have been a lot quicker to just queue, but once I realised that I was committed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Or you can forget all this wifi stuff and just pay AIS 1,800 Baht a year for unlimited data 24/7/365 ...

That sounds a deal, I've never seen that advertised, what is the package called please and what speed do you get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It may be great for some moron with a smartphone who is paying for their goods at a supermarket checkout. It's not so convenient when they have a queue of people behind them waiting for said moron to get their act together on the phone to make payment after a minute or two of fumbling.

It's bad enough Thai checkout chicks have never heard of Aldi checkout speeds, 3000 items an hour, without adding in cashless payment. Ever seen a Thai trying to pay by phone when they have left their glasses somewhere else, that's what I mean.

Its usually quicker when paying cashless than it is with paying cash . 

People having to find their money, forgetting which pocket they put into , then counting it out and giving it to the cashier, the cashier then counting the money , putting it into the till and then counting out the change , sometimes counting the change out five times to make sure they got it right and often the cashier having to go into the safe to get smaller notes out . 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

The only negative is that Makro won't accept TrueMoney if linked to a credit card, cash load only ???? 

Of course they accept the same CitiBank card as a physical card. TiT.

Out of curiosity, why would you want a middleman handling your credit card purchases? Do they pay a lot for that privilege?

Somewhat related, I would love if I could purchase with grab using my credit card, but after reaching out to support, they said their local bank handling the processing doesn't support US cards as the US banks have newer 3DS and the Thai banks (at least the one grab uses) are lagging behind. They won't disable the 3DS requirement either, so it's cash only.

19 minutes ago, Ashokan said:

Out of curiosity, why would you want a middleman handling your credit card purchases? Do they pay a lot for that privilege?

some merchants won't directly accept credit cards but will let you pay via a third-party app that does. 

eg. I can't top up my AIS account with my crypto.com card but I can use Rabbit LINE Pay to top up and the latter allows my card. 

dunno about TrueMoney because that's very difficult to get for me. they want Pink ID card or Thai DL and as yet I have neither.

1 hour ago, PFMills said:

That sounds a deal, I've never seen that advertised, what is the package called please and what speed do you get.

It's called  Mao Unlimited Internet 1Mbps 12 months.......Its fine for most things..Maybe a tiny bit of drag but unless your a very heavy user you will not notice much......I have had it for about 5 years now...For 1,800 a year it's great...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wasn’t prepared when I went to an Aldi for the first time... Wow..   My Wife was in utter shock !! - they literally throw the items through... Luckily long supermarket queues are not yet a thing in Thailand because labor is cheap. 

That 3000 items an hour is a job requirement. I don't know how the assessment process works, but a checkout operator who fails to meet that criterion gets fired. That's what I was told by one of the Aldi workers.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah. Preparation is key.

I can be done in Lotus's faster than cash when using TrueMoney but you have to think ahead.

What's the preparation for getting stuck behind the say 10 Uber Eats / Grab bike drivers plaguing the supermarkets ?

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

What's the preparation for getting stuck behind the say 10 Uber Eats / Grab bike drivers plaguing the supermarkets ?

Remember every small detail .

Rush home as quick as you can and then write a thread about it on ASEANOW

It is a time warp and affects competency and efficiency.  People playing on their phones trying to get the right set.  The vendor scanning/electronic system not working playing around blah blah.  Takes forever sometimes I change lanes.  Good old fashion cash is the best in my opinion I hate the current cashless process.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I really hate it when I am at a supermarket lane with my purchases, and some person with the attention span of a goldfish is fumbling with their phone to do whatever voodoo is necessary. I hand over cash, gone in 20 seconds.

It's a paradox, smartphones are purchased by some very dumb people.

Only because the Thai system is slow and cumbersome. With Apple Pay back in the world, I wouldn’t even bother carrying cash or any cards for weeks on end. So fast!

• Haha 1

Guest truthman
13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I really hate it when I am at a supermarket lane with my purchases, and some person with the attention span of a goldfish is fumbling with their phone to do whatever voodoo is necessary. I hand over cash, gone in 20 seconds.

It's a paradox, smartphones are purchased by some very dumb people.

That's on top of the people taking ages searching for their e-coupons on Line, going through one screen after another or looking for their QR codes. Big C and Tops used to have a cash only line but those are gone. Soon the people using cash will be down to just one line, the dinosaur line.

54 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Only because the Thai system is slow and cumbersome. With Apple Pay back in the world, I wouldn’t even bother carrying cash or any cards for weeks on end. So fast!

I only carry my phone here and pay for everything via a transfer from either my K-Bank app, or the True Money App.

56 minutes ago, truthman said:

That's on top of the people taking ages searching for their e-coupons on Line, going through one screen after another or looking for their QR codes. Big C and Tops used to have a cash only line but those are gone. Soon the people using cash will be down to just one line, the dinosaur line.

Homo sapiens has been around for about 200,000 years, dinosaurs about 200 million.

I don't know why we are so enchanted with how clever we are, at least dinosaurs didn't screw up the planet for their successors.

• Like 1