Former police inspector loses his entire retirement savings to call center gang posing as "fake cops"

webfact

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was just thinking to myself "I wonder what banking is like in America"

Thanks for informing me of what its like in America

But that is not what its like in America.  Suspect poster is talking SWIFT specific and he does not have a signed electronic payment on file.  I have no trouble transferring online between banks or to Wise for transfer to here in Thailand.

23 hours ago, phetphet said:

It's not just here in Thailand. It's happening in many countries. I

t's a speciality of Indian scammers who set up call centres manned by staff who prey on vunerable or less tech savvy people, usually the elderly. Buy even careful people can sometimes fall for their traps.

Scum that ruin peoples lives.

I think there was a poster in another thread that recently linked a Youtube video on how they work.

When I was lecturing at Thai unis 99% of the Thai students were totally addicted to everything linked to their smartphones. They had every app ever created installed and did many online shopping and banking transactions on their phones, often just 10 Baht or similar, plus of course continuous selfies.

Like most professors I had to continuously tell the students to tuen off their phones, all to no avail. And often when a phone rang during a lecture I would walk to the student and tell her/him (90% her) 'turn it off now'. Very often the response was 'but it's my friend'. Once the response was 'but professor I have to talk to my friend she just got a new dog and she wants to tell me about her new dog.'

Also in the picture was a continuus string of students in tears because they just got scammed. Reality was that they were too ignorant/too lazy/too childish to realize that they had just given their bank details to a caller from outside Thailand.

Plus the regular comment 'but I had to give my bank account number to get the gift.'

Edited by scorecard

On 6/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, webfact said:

he got a call from the number +69766 9 14097150 and spoke to someone who said they were from the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

Inspect this: the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission uses an international  mobile number

On 6/9/2022 at 4:55 AM, bdenner said:

Ya gotta wunda what the average IQ of the BiB is?

Probably similar to the unelected PM and his soldiers. Thailand could start improving tourism etc, etc, if it wasn't for the stupidity of this unelected PM and his soldiers.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:11 AM, MJCM said:

That should already have been a warning as +69 is NOT the Thailand International Access Number, +66 is!

I have now ALL (unknown) numbers silenced and when someone calls me with an unknown number I will call them back, but 9 out of 10 it's a unreachable number thus Spammer!

If you 're not on a prepaid sim it can be also a expensive lesson to call the number back. Some callcenter gangs earn good too with call backs.

https://www.rd.com/article/never-call-back-unknown-number/

53 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Unless you have saved banking passwords they still cant steal your money.

Keylogger in the "app" they provided to access the account -> he types the details in -> app backend receives them -> gang logs in and drains accounts.

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You can set daily limits.

With the users login details you can also remove those limits - all the same account control as you have yourself in the banking app.  

Just now, jabis said:

With the users login details you can also remove those limits - all the same account control as you have yourself in the banking app.  

Not from bank aps you cant. Only from website. He must have used website on his phone.

So not having aps on his phone made him less safe.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not from bank aps you cant. Only from website. He must have used website on his phone.

So not having aps on his phone made him less safe.

The article quoted he had to install 2 apps, that thru them accessed the 2 different bank accounts - so without analysing the apps and how they work, it's kind of moot to argue - possibly they were only native "web windowing" apps to either a fake site (ie. a man in the middle attack) or just stealing user input and passing thru to genuine site - point is, they gained access to the users accounts and swiped them both clean using 2 different apps, 1 for each bank, so supposedly the gang knew which is the most lucrative way to exploit users credentials. 

RE: not from apps, well yes you can - depending on the bank yes you can - I can for example on my SCB app manage the limits

com.scb.phone.jpg

Edited by jabis
addendum