Thailand on 170,000 baht a month

LaosLover

20 minutes ago, Thailand said:

My share is that is that you are trolling but I have been wrong in the past.

"My share is that I don't even have the courage of my wishy-washy, made up in the shower convictions."

How is your life going in Thailand? What would be a budget you would like to have?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

"My share is that I don't even have the courage of my wishy-washy, made up in the shower convictions."

How is your life going in Thailand? What would be a budget you would like to have?

80,000 to 100,000 is plenty.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

There are 1000 baht airfares in Thailand. If you live within a hour of an airport visiting bkk for a week is the way to go. Stay in a 5 star hotel on the river. Enjoy. Fly back to Phuket or CM.

I spent a month in Bangkok and I was hungry for more. Phuket or CM tops out after a couple of weeks. I can see flying to Issan nowheresville for a chill few days tho.

What's your fave 5* riverside hotel (assuming a rating system can be broadly agreed on here)?  I did the Peninsula (not a true 5*, but great) and the Shangri-la (not worth the $$$'s).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Wha? Where am I?

Is this a thread about Burmese women? I donn' unnnerstannn'.

Or do I? Not unnnerstann'ing is my self presentation to the world. I hope it's passing for piercing wit.

My attitude is that I am grateful for falling into dumb-posterior luck with a hot housing property and ready to live some version of the high life to whatever level I can. And looking for a little advice, or at least humous you-know-what-taking.

Not the usual bitterness of jaded skinflints.

Would def like to hear about the incremental diffs between 170, 200, and 250.

You know in this forum we bite on anything we can, as quick as possible. So, in that case, its just to cool down and enjoy the ride. Getting upset, will only result in that you will not get the answers from the ones that would try to help.

We can say like this. Here is the thing: 170k baht

1. Can you manage to live well in  Thailand on that amount? YES!
2. High-end & high life??? Just forget it! That would take a minimum of a double amount at least.

3. You will not need a driver on stand by, as there are apps that gives you a ride in 5 - 20 min.

4. Instead invest in hiring a maid as mentioned for around 9-12k baht per month.

As some posters have mentioned too. You will gain both more pleasant life as well as less problem with a nicer and more calm attitude. That, as Thailand is a country where holding face is very important. Stepping on a few toes in that area would give you all from little bit of kerfuffle to possible execution style murder.

An advice, as you seem to have a fairly secure budget. There might be some saving as well, I assume. I would personally look for cheaper rent, or invest in buying a condo as you would pay to yourself and it almost always give you return in the end.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Mc Donald's could have 4 stars at TripAdvisor, doesn't make it good food.

Please share your wealth of arcane Euro restaurant ratings and enlighten us losers who blindly mistake McDonalds for a 4* restaurant because it got rated that way by local office workers. 

Is El Gaucho the unimpeachable yard stick? Because I can live with that if it is.

There are condos near Peninsula. Thats where i would live. The local food there is good. Mall nearby has northern food. Dentist there. 10 baht boat to Nonthaburi.

Live in Bangkok then fly towns. Could work. Fly to nkp or nan or loei.

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

cool down and enjoy the ride. Getting upset, will only result in that you will not get the answers from the ones that would try to help.

As some posters have mentioned too. You will gain both more pleasant life as well as less problem with a nicer and more calm attitude. 

I am not upset, I'm just shoveling back what people dish at me. In good humor, with appreciation, for laughs. Passive aggressive nonsense is always worth calling out. You do notice that no one is denying it.

Gottfried, I have long enjoyed your posts and am grateful for you answering me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

And yet, you couldn't bear not to.

Any on topic thoughts to share?

Not really. Can't understand why you would want to have a Uber driver on "semi-call"  when you can just call Uber and get just as fast, if not faster, service. But then again, I'm sure you already know that.

The whole point of your OP seems to have been to brag about how much you will be spending during your one month stay in Bangkok, and as I said earlier, I do wonder whether the recent financial market downturn and the "wealth affect" hit you likely suffered might be the underlying motive behind what appears to me to be an obvious attempt to boost your spirits by coming on the forum to boast about spending more money than you are fully aware is far more than what what most forum members spend per month or is needed to live here comfortably.

Edited by Gecko123

7 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Please share your wealth of arcane Euro restaurant ratings and enlighten us losers who blindly mistake McDonalds for a 4* restaurant because it got rated that way by local office workers. 

Is El Gaucho the unimpeachable yard stick? Because I can live with that if it is.

MICHELIN Restaurants – the MICHELIN Guide

THE 10 BEST Steakhouses in Bangkok, Updated June 2022 - Tripadvisor

Yeah, but I already said repeatedly that I want to go to upper mid-level Thai and Indian restaurants and don't care about Michelin stars.

Restaurants that are typically rated well on travel sites are where I want to eat. The Lemongrass by EmQuarter would be a night out for us. But naming every single decent meal I dropped a hundred bucks for two in Bangkok will not really move this dial, will it?

Steakhouses are not my thing. I used to have to go for work twice a week in Manhattan. You could always tell who wasn't the client -the guy with a piece a salmon and a glass of water in front of him.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Another good area is Victory Monument. Nice food. Skytrain.

I think having the river views is best though.

Victory Monument is def on my give it a 2-3 day look around list. Over by the river too.

But again, for a few hundred more, I'm in Ari. The green factor (relatively speaking, for Bangkok) is important to us. Hence, Ari. Like I asked, where is the under-exposed, up and coming next Ari?

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Victory Monument is def on my give it a 2-3 day look around list. Over by the river too.

But again, for a few hundred more, I'm in Ari. The green factor (relatively speaking, for Bangkok) is important to us. Hence, Ari. Like I asked, where is the under-exposed, up and coming next Ari?

Very polluted. Not very green.

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I do wonder.....

Uh-uh, no you don't.

You just want to fantasize about crypto meltdowns and pretend your someones -anyone's- friend. Thanks for that and the free clairvoyant financial analysis. Hopefully, your done with me. Like in a flouncy huff.

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

After 1 month you get bored with flashy restaurants. Overpriced toss.

Cooking creatively is a big hobby for us. If we're going to the Blue Elephant, we'll be getting close to recreating what we had on the third try.

Some people like gambling or go-go bars or other dumb money soaks. With ours, at least we ate.

Just now, LaosLover said:

Cooking creatively is a big hobby for us. If we're going to the Blue Elephant, we'll be getting close to recreating what we had on the third try.

Some people like gambling or go-go bars or other dumb money soaks. With ours, at least we ate.

Raw food is cheap.

Cooking in bkk is like taking a hooker to a brothel

3 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Show me statistics.

What percentage of the population spends more than 170k/month?

Don't know the %, but my girlfriend spends more than 170K baht a month, and she doesn't even work.

Not sure who the sucker is supporting her bloated lifestyle, but he always shows up in my bathroom mirror. I'm going to call Security and get the lout tossed out!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Let's be frank, 170K baht a month isn't exactly big money.

As for "Americans" talking about money, it depends where one is from. Texans, the all hat and no cattle type, might mention numbers, but in a place like New England, people keep their mouths shut and tend to look askance at ostentatious displays of wealth, much less boasting about it.

Thank you for your helpful regional survey of American attitudes to talking about money. No way would I diss Texas and a I live in a much lower rent part of the south.

But I'll be living in Thailand on ex-amount of baht and I have no problem talking about it or asking others their views about it.

What's 170K get you in the GF department? I'm asking for Sparktrader.

Edited by LaosLover

10 hours ago, Onerak said:

Why Thailand is your passion and In the center of Bangkok, one of the most polluted, crowded city? Is your wife Thai? You should better move to Portugal or Spain. What are you exactly looking for by living in Bangkok? As for your uber driver, why not just buy a car and use a chauffer to drive you around? And when you are not using the car, you can tell the driver to use it as uber/bolt car to earn some extra money for him. 

You must be kidding.

Giving a thai your new car for him to make some cash.
Ridiculous.