Thailand looks at easing visa rules in bid to boost tourism

webfact

Some whizzkid in Bangkok has finally discovered that the longer tourists stay, the more they spend. Perhaps now they will consider making a 3 months Tourist Visa good for 3 months, rather than 2 months with the meaningless inconvenience of applying for a 1 month extension. Many tourists would just move on to another country at the end of the 2 months and spend their money there.

• Like 1

I can't see the government giving up Thailand Pass. They'll say they've abolished it, but then they'll say you have to show health insurance and vaccination certificates to Immigration on arrival. I'm not a Thaksin lover, but he would have got rid of Thailand Pass ages ago. He has a business mind.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Robin said:

I do not believe that many genuine (high spending?) tourists come for more than 28/30 days, as they probably have job to go to back in home country, but all such (mythical) creatures are put off by nonsense like the Thai Pass.

allowing 60, or even 90 day visa free entry might only bring back the cheapskate sex tourists and other attracted by Thailand's reputation for cheap and easy sex for sale

I think hat most genuine long term stayers have now got themselves more reliable long term visas (retirement, etc.) whihc have minimum wealth requirements.

Just how could Thailand enforce a policy of 'only the wealth can stay longer'?

Tourist will only spend more if either;

1.  Everything is more expensive.

2.  There are more nice things for hem to spend their money on.

1. Will only drive away tourists.

2. Most probably beyond the imagination of TAT, and would require drastic reform of Thailand.

What is wrong with going back to the pre-Covid model?  it more or less worked and made Thailand money

Making a longer visa free entry is easier for everyone - higher end tourists or the cheaper ones... 

Bottom line is more tourism = more money from any tourist. 

While Thailand has such a low minimum wage and such an ineffective social welfare system the ‘P4P’ model is going nowhere and Thailand will always be synonymous with sex tourism, that isn’t going anywhere fast... Thailand is also synonymous with beaches and good food... 

Thailand just needs to maintain that... keep doing the ‘beaches and good food’ and welcome tourists rather than impose a silly Thailand pass and impose insurance, Thailand needs to tackle tourist scams etc...  send the signal that they ‘love tourists’... (tourists love to be loved)...

Do what they did... just better - this is a wheel that does not need re-inventing... 

11 hours ago, Robin said:

Just how could Thailand enforce a policy of 'only the wealth can stay longer'?

If you show up in elephant pants and a tank top you get a 30 day visa no renewal

If you wear your shorts hiked up to your man-tits and a hip pack , you get 30 days no renewal

If you have a selfie stick in your possession on arrival, 30 days no renewal

If you're a trust-afarian and smell like patchouli oil...30 days and relegated to Phangnon.  Must travel by open air train / bus / and/or boat

Other trust-afarians get 30 days.  If you cut your smelly hair, you can renew your visa.  If you can contribute to the "green " culture you may be eligible to stay longer but you can't work.  We just want your ideas.  

Everyone else, we'll be checking your bags for luxury goods and determination of visa length will be made at the time of imposed luxury tax.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Get rid of the Thailand pas first, then leave the nightclubs and bars open until 4 am, last but not least make the price for wine again affordable.

Maybe after that you can think about visa extension.

well said that man..

21 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Get rid of the Thailand pas first,

I have just returned, other than £15 for insurance and a few minutes of my time very much like before. Came through the airport much quicker than in the past despite it being mobbed.

But why not make a mountain out of a molehill. They could make a  movie from this forum, "Carry On Whinging".

• Confused 4

Was just wondering how much time the average tourist from Europe  gets off in Holidays would have thought 30 days was sufficient 

But if they want to extend to 45 days why not will save some people going the visa hop way plus paying for the extension ???? 

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Wealthy people want quality which is the thing Thailand is lacking

Not sufficient quality for 75,000 ++ Baht/night?  (but not sure whether the rooms have a free WiFi)

https://reservations.fourseasons.com/plan-your-stay?hotelCode=CEI788&_ga=2.140250417.368508869.1655181698-1695015444.1655181698&_gl=1*1qpp6y2*_ga*MTY5NTAxNTQ0NC4xNjU1MTgxNjk4*_ga_Q9N1LB2PM5*MTY1NTE4MTY5OC4xLjAuMTY1NTE4MTY5OC42MA..

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Didn’t think they wanted ‘quantity’. Anyhoo, visa length not the issue. Drop Thai pass and let baht correct. They’ll flood in. 

Nah. The days of tourists "flooding in" are in the past. Too many things have changed, too much time has passed, too many opportunities lost, the world is a different place now, and Thailand has not improved one iota. One could make an argument it is a lesser version of itself these days, for many tourists. 

20211029_095057.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, garyk said:

First few times I came to Thailand I was a backpacker. I stayed in 500 baht guest houses and ate very good. Spent about 1200-1500 / month and that was years ago. Had a great time.. Would not trade it for the guys suited up and pulling a roller bag for any amount of money.  Used to see those guys heading to the hot spots , spend their whole time in one spot. Or heading out in the sticks to a wife or GF.  Different life style all together. 

Agree...had a great time doing this.  Wasn't quite a backpacker, I was a roller bagger and did hit hotspots but had all my photo gear with me that I used to shoot while traveling throughout Asia.  I was older when I started so I had some limitations on levels of comfort and privacy.  But did start off in Chiang Mai, did ride a motorbike and did eat the 40 baht breakfast most days.  Ultimately led me to where I am now and helped me appreciate the comforts of life that I left behind  in falang-land

Edited by happydreamer

53 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Was just wondering how much time the average tourist from Europe  gets off in Holidays would have thought 30 days was sufficient 

But if they want to extend to 45 days why not will save some people going the visa hop way plus paying for the extension ???? 

Quite. Many of my age are retired and but only come for a month because they do not want the hassle of applying for a visa. Become very difficult now for those not familiar with computers.

They will be quite happy for that extra time.

6 hours ago, WinterGael said:

I don't follow their thinking here.  Outside of myself, who has a Thai wife, and a couple of other Canucks with Thai wives,  no one has ever come here for more than 3 weeks.  They all came on the cheap, had a good time, went home because they have jobs and homes and other responsibilities to take care of.  My brother and his wife did the 30 day thing, had a great time, spent almost nothing, and have never been back. But they did say 30 days may have been a bit long. They are pretty typical of the Thai tourists I know from Canada and my UK friends and family are about the same.  

I have to disagree with you.

Prior to  retiring, I used to spend 9 months of the year working hard in UK, then "snowbird" in Thailand for about 3 months, then "rinse and repeat."

I have several acquaintances who do / did similar

After retiring in 2014 I just carried on in the same vein....then in 2020....ho hum! ????

Hopefully, from late 2022, I shall resume my previous life pattern IF the Thai Pass and other stupidities are dropped.

23 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Get rid of the Thailand pas first, then leave the nightclubs and bars open until 4 am, last but not least make the price for wine again affordable.

Maybe after that you can think about visa extension.

not everyone that visits Thailand do so just for the night clubs and bars or brothels. If you can afford to go on holiday then you can certainly afford wine if that is your preference.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A banker would treat you to wine and cheese...lol

A real human being would treat you to beer and burgers... Lol x2 ????????

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

The days of everyone getting "time off for holidays" have gone. Many many people these days are self-employed or contract and can choose when they work. I for one didn't have a "full-time job" after 1994 and retired in 2014.

23 hours ago, EricTh said:

The other flipside is that it will attract those backpackers/visa runners with hardly any money to stay longer in Thailand.

It's good to extend the visa exemption but make sure that they distinguish true tourists from those visa-runners who want to stay long-term in Thailand on a shoestring budget.

Why not reintroduce the minimum amount of cash requirement? 

Those shoestring backpackers are students in the main. Many on a stop over to places like Australia on a years working visa.  These can be future big spenders. Your views are very short sighted.

• Like 2