Do you fear living to long?

JAFO

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no kids and I don't want any kids. So I won't have a family life when I am old.

I see very few people who enjoy life after they are maybe 80 years old - with exceptions.

I live my life here and now. I do what I like to do, eat, drink, whatever. If I would be die in 5 minutes and I could review my life I could say I had fun until the end.

430316407_Icecream(2).thumb.jpg.a2f97d5c42ef21ad26f6521228ed93f0.jpg

I hope you've had a vasectomy, otherwise an accidental baby is probably on the way

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I hope you've had a vasectomy, otherwise an accidental baby is probably on the way

A gal tried that once until I made her get a DNA test as I had a vasectomy, had the vas deffrens cut short and cauterized, shooting blanks for 10 years at that point in time.....never heard from her again....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wouldnt worry about living too long. The way the world id going be grateful you wake up in the morning.

And I thought you would write: The way the world id going be grateful not to wake up in the morning.

38 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

All the experts weighing in when in fact its genetic.  Your death date is already programmed at birth

Plenty 80 year old pack a day smokers kicking strong. Plenty vegans dead early from cancer

Or your Running is Fun author Guru Jim Fixx who dropped dead of a heart attack on a run while in Great shape at 52.  As my Rabbi told me during my bar mitzvah your day of demise and entry into God's kingdom has already been placed in the good book upon your birth, so live a productive life because the reaper comes one day for us all.

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So diet plays no part after all? ok let's binge on KFC, Pizza, McDonald's 

Afternoon tea with cheesecake, lemon tarts, oysters Rockefeller and some salmon on dark rye with a slice of cucumber on it sounds better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Afternoon tea with cheesecake, lemon tarts, oysters Rockefeller and some salmon on dark rye with a slice of cucumber on it sounds better.

Yes does sound better, once you give up junk you really notice it if you indulge ever, body doesn't like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So diet plays no part after all? ok let's binge on KFC, Pizza, McDonald's 

I suspect when you're over 60 nothing you do will make much difference to your end date.

Eat, drink and smoke what you want, tomorrow you die!

I haven't made cheesecake for ages, maybe tomorrow .........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, whereyougo said:

All the experts weighing in when in fact its genetic.  Your death date is already programmed at birth

Plenty 80 year old pack a day smokers kicking strong. Plenty vegans dead early from cancer

Statistics say smoking takes 5 to 10 years off anyone's life on average. They also say vegans and vegetarians live longer than carnivores or omnivores. Your post is talking about statistical outliers.

Your death date may be programmed at birth, but it's your lifestyle choices which determine how much you extend it or shorten it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Statistics say smoking takes 5 to 10 years off anyone's life on average. They also say vegans and vegetarians live longer than carnivores or omnivores. Your post is talking about statistical outliers.

But as someone else posted, smoking doesn't take time off the start or middle of your life, it takes it off the end.

Does anyone really care if they miss the end 10 years of their life, living alone in a bedsit or nursing home and walking with a Zimmer frame? Not me for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But as someone else posted, smoking doesn't take time off the start or middle of your life, it takes it off the end.

Does anyone really care if they miss the end 10 years of their life, living alone in a bedsit or nursing home and walking with a Zimmer frame? Not me for sure.

The smoking is likely to cause ill health sooner, so say 65 vs 75

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The smoking is likely to cause ill health sooner, so say 65 vs 75

66, can't say I want any longer.

Can't see much fun in any future I have left, all my pals are already dead.

I know a few guys older than me, when I look at their lives, I'd rather be dead.

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Or your Running is Fun author Guru Jim Fixx who dropped dead of a heart attack on a run while in Great shape at 52. 

You're completely misinformed about Fixx and now ignorant forum members are as well. He wasn't at all in "Great Shape." Read and learn. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Excel said:

What a great practical purpose in life, helping others less fortunate. What a pity that there are not more like us out there, perhaps they wouldn't be so bored.

"Nothing in his life
Became him like the leaving it."

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know when I am going to cark it, could be tomorrow, could be ten years from now. I do know I am nine years past the Biblical life span, still active. I pity people 20 years younger than me whose only reasons for living are the next drink or fag. Pathetic.

I gave up smoking about 40 years ago. Within a year my lung capacity was back to 6 litres from the 3.5 litres it was while I was a smoker. After ten years, my risk of dying of lung cancer had gone back to that of a non-smoker.

True, no time is lost. However, in the start or middle of life, smoking and drinking does affect quality of life. Just ask George Best. I did better in my professional career and in sport after I gave up smoking, not before.

I've seen a number of smokers and drinkers here and in Australia die, it wasn't pretty. Never is.

You may be able to kid yourself because you exercise, that offsets the harmful effects of drinking and/or smoking. It only delays the inevitable.

15 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

After coming to live in Thailand at 33 and now 51,my best days are behind me,

Just glad i did it in my prime,

Think 65 will be a good number as pensions are over rated.

Nothing wrong with my age pension, it's better in my pocket than having politicians pee it up a wall.

Your best days are only behind you if you think they are. I'd love to be 51 again, knowing what I know now.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nothing wrong with my age pension, it's better in my pocket than having politicians pee it up a wall.

Your best days are only behind you if you think they are. I'd love to be 51 again, knowing what I know now.

Me too but unfortunately I can't remember what I knew yesterday let alone at 51 ????

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I do owe my parents the respect to out live them.

But i don't want to end up like grandad at 102 hiding his morning tea in the cupboard and than telling the nursing staff they never brought it while he was reading the newspaper.

7 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I do owe my parents the respect to out live them.

But i don't want to end up like grandad at 102 hiding his morning tea in the cupboard and than telling the nursing staff they never brought it while he was reading the newspaper.

Your grandad actually sounds like quite a character. I'd probably be goosing the nurses.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

66, can't say I want any longer.

Can't see much fun in any future I have left, all my pals are already dead.

I know a few guys older than me, when I look at their lives, I'd rather be dead.

Sounds like it's time to move to Pattaya

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

But maybe smoking will just make those 10 years you mentioned 12.

Yes, I don't want to rely on anyone for my personal care or hygiene. 

If I'm sane and functional at 101 great, otherwise, I hope by then lawful euthanasia is an option not just for terminal illness but for serious quality of life decline. 

If the law's not updated, I will make my own plans anyway, likely pharmaceutical in nature. I hope my missus pre-deceased me, the hardest would be to leave her behind. 

Another fear is running out of money, but hopefully the rent income and pension will suffice.