Do you fear living to long?

JAFO

Just now, starky said:

All sounded fantastic until you went all...."I used to be a big deal" ???????????????????? jesus wept.

Have you ever seen Jesus weep ? He may be a great Brazilian footballer for Man City but a crybaby ? ????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, starky said:

All sounded fantastic until you went all...."I used to be a big deal" ???????????????????? jesus wept.

Wish there was a Thumbs up emoji to give you.  So instead I will use one from the drop down menu.....lol ????

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Some bad news. Switzerland had a very liberal "Assisted Suicide" legislation. Not anymore. Now 2 Doctors must confirm, that one suffers from a 100% incurable illness. No other reasons will allow for a Assisted Suicide anymore.

- So, it's back to shooting oneself in the head and leaving a bloody mess behind, or swinging from a tree, scaring schoolchildren.

There are some websites that explain in detail how to go about it and exactly what

to use.

Being in Thailand you can always fire up the barbeque for your last steak and along

with a nice bottle of wine you are well on your way.

12 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I've got one. I take pills at 8pm and measure the systolic, diastolic & pulse at 10pm. Sometimes I forget to take the readings, but I have about 2,600 readings written in a note pad. I recently stopped taking the pills for 5 days. The readings went from about 115/65 pulse 65 to 155/85 pulse 70.

I'm back on the pills now.

I get readings like that if I miss my swimming regime for a couple of days

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rimmer said:
12 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I've got one. I take pills at 8pm and measure the systolic, diastolic & pulse at 10pm. Sometimes I forget to take the readings, but I have about 2,600 readings written in a note pad. I recently stopped taking the pills for 5 days. The readings went from about 115/65 pulse 65 to 155/85 pulse 70.

I'm back on the pills now.

I'm seriously considering getting back to my "pre-Covid days" walks up Monkey Hill in Phuket Town. When the virus arrived, they blocked the road up the hill, but I think it's open again now.

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I'm seriously considering getting back to my "pre-Covid days" walks up Monkey Hill in Phuket Town. When the virus arrived, they blocked the road up the hill, but I think it's open again now.

With all that coastline, easy to find a place to stroll around.  During covid you'd almost have the beaches to yourself.  We popped down a couple times, and best ever.  Hit them at daybreak (western) and you even get to walk in the shade.

ENJOY

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, but it was TB (a disease often associated with HIV) that ended her life. The harsh drug treatment was too much for her weakened body. Such a waste.. ????

I am very sorry for your loss. Do you have anyone to talk with? That is important right now.  If not PM me and I will let you have my number if you want to chat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I truly believe that retirement is made of of two halves. The first I would call the 'young' retirement - the age when you are still young enough and fit enough to enjoy everything, to be able to get about and have stamina to do so. I'd say this would be about 60-75 ish. The second half I would call the 'old' retirement, when you slow down and its pretty much the 'last supper' stage or sitting in comfy chairs or pottering in the garden.

Though retired myself now, I do not plan to stay in Thailand until I am dead. Later in life I will sell my house down south in UK, buy a massive place up north and move the family to the UK with the money left over and other retirement income. Then, me and the wife will quite happily stay in the house until we are dead. The world outside these days is a nasty and nothing  like it used to be - even the wife says that. We will just enjoy our own company at 75 up in the house with the odd trip out.

A lovely elderly lady and friend I knew back in Australia (she has now passed) was taking care of her mother and father in her home.  The father was 98 and the mother was 97.  The mother died in her sleep and despite being healthy the father died two days later.  My friend was adamant that the cause of her father's death was a broken heart.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Ask some local Thais where Soi 11 is.  Then take a hike along that soi at about 9 in the evening.  That will do your heart the world of good.

Also head out to Koh Siri and hike up the stairs at the temple there.  Great exercise and magnificent 360 degree views.  

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

IMO swimming is probably one of the best forms of cardio exercise anyone can do, because one's body is supported while doing it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris.B said:

There are many, many different Cancers. I don't think they can all be prevented.

Immunology is the key, teaching the body to destroy the deformed cells. That field is where the most resounding successes have been recorded.

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bored, why?  Get out and about if you can, travel and hike.  In Cha Am now and we walked over 10km today on the beach and then swam in the pool in the Villa.....life is what you make of it.  Just wish I could golf, but with a triple neck fusion and 2 double back fusions It is a non starter.

Wow, 10km is huge in this hot environment. I struggle to do 3km in the morning sun

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So did I, which is why I came to Thailand after losing north of $600,000 to two women in Australia. Moved on, put down roots here which, barring bureaucratic stupidity, will see me out.

I focus on the positive, every day here for me is a new adventure.

Boredom is self-inflicted, not possible to be bored if one is doing something creative.

You married 2 ozzie gals. ha ha. I met an electrician who was on wife number 4. I asked him why does he do it. He said he hates being single

40 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I would argue surfing.

You may be right, can't recall having seen a fat surfer.

Having said that, I prefer to swim in water where I know things won't bite me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Used to walk Big Buddah from bottom to top and back down. Did it every Saturday with the Muay Thai group. Spent Sunday on the beach walking from end to end.....

Edited by Rimmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Also grew up in housos mate my mum and dad both bailed left me with my grandparents at quite a young age. 4 of us living in a 1 bedroom council flat..also quite successful in my own right also live in Thailand so fxxxn what? We all have our trials and tribulations and successes in life 

It's not that you were a big deal or not. It's the fact you feel the need to state it. It's low key bragging. Just be happy mate. Your going on about how simple and humble you are then follow it up with the laundry list of how great you are. Anyone who was truly humble would have read my comment and had a giggle as was intended. Like realistically do you not see the irony? Who actually says "yeah well I used to be a big deal" ???????????????????????? does your apartment smell of rich mahogany by any chance?

I think you have confused bragging with taking pride in my achievements.  I do preen my own feathers occasionally.  But that is a skill that I consciously developed and then adopted to counteract the negative impact on my mental health from living with a violent alcoholic father that used to refer to me as a worthless piece of sh*t.  Lots of people grew up poor.  That was just one of issues I had to deal with as a kid.  I have also have an incurable and chronic genetic blood disease.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I'm fine, but many thanks for your offer. I came to terms with her likely death some weeks ago as I cared for her in hospital.  I've been in Thailand a long time, so reasonably understand the Buddhist belief system, and I'm not religious myself.  Between my online lessons today, I'll go and help wash her body at the temple.

Anyway - this is all way off-topic.  I mentioned that I want to live at least another 40 years (and in good health), because there are many things that I want to do.  My life changed dramatically in 2012 when I was a teacher in Yangon (Myanmar), and saw the poverty of families living in the 'slum' Dala township across the river.  Through luck of birth, I have never had such challenges, and after visiting Dala, I decided never again to complain about my own bad luck and misfortune, no matter how bad it is.  Instead, I would do what little I could with my meagre abilities and income to help others who are less fortunate than myself.  Since 2012, I have helped literally thousands of young kids in Burmese orphanages with school books and supplies, as well as writing educational software for their teachers etc.  The civil war in Myanmar has put a stop to my efforts, but I do hope to return to do more efforts when my UK state pension kicks in 3 years from now.

I did a number of charity stunts to raise money for a pediatric hospital back home before I retired.  My exploits are well documented on the internet but if I post a link I will instantly lose my anonminity.  As a young 20 something lad I also worked in Mother Teresa's street hospital in Calcutta.  I made some life long friends who where working beside me and some have gone on in life to achieve remarkable things.  When I have been working on my charity projects I was amazed how well things fell into place.  It was kind of like a confirmation that I was on the right path.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I also have a new and very little wife .......... that's what Thailand is all about!

Is that recently? I know you had a stunner who started to melt around 40.

You are inspirational to me so pls forgive the prying. still the 10k a month deal? 

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

How old are you now? I had my time I did not wanted to wake up anymore, but knew it was only a phase I had to go through and accept I could not continue my life I was to used to. 

So after educate myself, finding a new route and finely manage to get proper sleep again, the new life could start. 

Still get bored, but that comes with having a good time and enjoy the good time more.

im 55 now and thats good to read mate. Enjoy