Do you fear living to long?

JAFO

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is a tricky subject.

They say that if you take the average between Mother and Father, all things being equal that is roughly your estimated expiry date. 

My Dad died in 1959 at 69 of a hear attack and my Mum died in 1973 at 69 of lung cancer. My brother died a few years ago at 81 from a stroke.

I am 78 and still wandering along nd I am on tablets for high blood pressure. I spend about a hour a day in the mornings 5 days a week cutting the grass and scrub which is my exercise.

I am determined to hang on and get my 100th birthday email from King William. Besides if I live to be 100 I will have earned my frozen pension.

The downside is that my wife will be an old woman of 79. ????

I wish I had the time to be bored.

When I get some spare time I edit my EBook library and look for more books to read. It is about 1.6Tb in size and is likely to take the rest of my life to finish.

We disagree on stuff, Bill, but you keep doing what you are doing. To find satisfaction in life has to be wonderful. Good on you!

• Like 1

It just depends on how your are living.. I prefer a short good life better than a long life.. My father died of a heartattack 65, as my grandfather and my greatgrandfather at 56.... My mother died at 64 of cancer as my grandmother of father side at 67, but my grandmother on motherside died at 91 but was many years Alzheimer and laid in bed as a baby...I am the oldest man in the famiy and I am 63.... Doctors can't say what will happen.. I have only high bloodpressure and an enlarged prostate.. But I don't want to be old with Alzheimer or die of cancer.. There is one thing sure in life .. we have to die.. than better quality of life than length

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

Ukrainians?   Euigers in China? Yemen, Afghanistan, Venezuela....list goes on and on.

It's a nice saying, but...

Even in those countries, there will be some people who do better than others, and it's not because they are sitting on their thumbs.

One of the happiest people I have ever seen was a Buddhist monk in Japan, who spoke very good English. I talked with him for 20 minutes, his only possessions were the clothes he wore.

Granted, opportunity in Western countries is a lot more.

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Even in those countries, there will be some people who do better than others, and it's not because they are sitting on their thumbs.

One of the happiest people I have ever seen was a Buddhist monk in Japan, who spoke very good English. I talked with him for 20 minutes, his only possessions were the clothes he wore.

Only for those that can find access to the local "Plutocracies". All others admire the western concept of "hedonism". Google is your friend. More "refugees" coming.

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

And may he continue to be happy for years to come and meet his end blissfully. And may all of you reading my post.

Alas, that is a fate which will be denied to so many of us. Even this Monk once his organs destroy themselves, will go through agony. I suspect he may then utilise the Japanese Health Services in order to alleviate his suffering.  

5 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Grow in the wrong sense. And now to what I have and see and experience. can be little things.

The youngsters in Kalkutta may not settle for "little things" in the future.

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

a year ago or so I was back at university studying dietetics because I wanted to research cancer in that field, but I found there was already people smarter than me working on that so I wasn't too interested, plus I think cancer research should be geared towards more treatment than prevention since it's pretty obvious how to prevent it.

There are many, many different Cancers. I don't think they can all be prevented.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, swissie said:

Some bad news. Switzerland had a very liberal "Assisted Suicide" legislation. Not anymore. Now 2 Doctors must confirm, that one suffers from a 100% incurable illness. No other reasons will allow for a Assisted Suicide anymore.

- So, it's back to shooting oneself in the head and leaving a bloody mess behind, or swinging from a tree, scaring schoolchildren.

Or paddle out on your surf board in a 7 meter Indonesian swell.  That is my plan.

5 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Same here. But i also think its temporary. Maybe a part of mid life C. A few years ago i had days that i would be happy if i didnt wake up anymore but nowdays i have more and more happy moments. I started to focus on different things in life and forget about the things i thought were important in the years before. So keep it up mate.

How old are you now? I had my time I did not wanted to wake up anymore, but knew it was only a phase I had to go through and accept I could not continue my life I was to used to. 

So after educate myself, finding a new route and finely manage to get proper sleep again, the new life could start. 

Still get bored, but that comes with having a good time and enjoy the good time more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Today my 18 year old Thai niece died in my arms from TB ????  It made me think about life.  I was 63 years old just 4 days ago and I need another 40 years to do all the things that I want to do to help others more deserving than me.  Rest peacefully little Bam..

Simon.  My deepest sympathies for your loss.  Is that the lass that had HIV?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I said goodbye to blood pressure tablets a week and a half ago. I had tapered down from 160 mg valsartan to 25 mg losartan in about six months.

I did not realize I have significant white coat syndrome, which has led to a succession of doctors over-medicating me for about ten years. My BP increases by about 40 points any time I go near a doctor or hospital.

I suggest you get your own blood pressure monitor and take readings morning and evening for a week in your home environment. Then halve your medication, and see what happens for the next week. From the sound of it, you are getting enough cardio exercise, although strictly speaking it needs to be every day.

Had to stop reading this thread and just say that you are my role model.

I am slowly trying to get off of thyroid medicine and I hope go down 25% a year over the next 4 years. I'm 69 years old. If I could be where you are in 10 years, I'd count myself lucky.

At what age did you decide to make the lifestyle changes to get off of your medications?

I was a hospice volunteer in rural England. I didn't see anyone who didn't want more days added on at the end.

It's a nice death, they just keep upping the morphine until you slide on over. It's not that costly, once you're in the hospice system, and it's the least you deserve.

Speaking of kids, my wife's adult daughter has a diagnosed mental problem and a strong leaning towards drugs. I helped raise 2 kids in England, and they have no further interest in me. As Clint Eastwood said, If you want a guarentee, buy a toaster.

My wife is 11 years younger than me (69), but due to health issues prob won't be around much longer than me -and could go before me. So we're def Ride Or Die till the end.

I truly believe that retirement is made of of two halves. The first I would call the 'young' retirement - the age when you are still young enough and fit enough to enjoy everything, to be able to get about and have stamina to do so. I'd say this would be about 60-75 ish. The second half I would call the 'old' retirement, when you slow down and its pretty much the 'last supper' stage or sitting in comfy chairs or pottering in the garden.

Though retired myself now, I do not plan to stay in Thailand until I am dead. Later in life I will sell my house down south in UK, buy a massive place up north and move the family to the UK with the money left over and other retirement income. Then, me and the wife will quite happily stay in the house until we are dead. The world outside these days is a nasty and nothing  like it used to be - even the wife says that. We will just enjoy our own company at 75 up in the house with the odd trip out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I fear boredom. Loss of purpose. Im middle aged and bored from life.

when I was in my 20s, a friend and I used to wonder about purpose of life - - her friend told her that she used to do the same until she had a kid...  then she stopped wondering about purpose. 

Boredom can be a sign of intelligence... you need to find a new focus...

And ignore some of the posters here who portray themselves as having a perfect life - - even at an older age... their reality is not as beautiful as their posts... but delusion can be a good way to go... 

The simple truth is that you can choose your own road and your attitude towards it... and it is simply more pleasant to choose an easier road than to beat yourself up over past diversion and mistakes... even the head braggart on this forum made mistakes too 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Simon.  My deepest sympathies for your loss.  Is that the lass that had HIV?

Yes, but it was TB (a disease often associated with HIV) that ended her life. The harsh drug treatment was too much for her weakened body. Such a waste.. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You are overestimating how much money you need. As I have already posted I bought the house I am currently in for 270K THB (all up the deal was the vendor paid all transfer costs and taxes).  It is a nice little split level rendered brick place in a lovely flower lined dead end street with no through traffic.  MY neighbors are all edlerly and lovely.  No young twits on noisy motorbikes.  I have to date spent about 50-60K more on renovation and extension but just on materials.  All of the work myself and my GF have done, including hand mixing over 6 cubic meters of concrete.  I am just starting on a new double carport at the front of the property. With the recent price increases in gal steel I am looking at around 20-25K to complete that including concreting and blocking in and rendering the side walls.  My electricity bill is between 500 and 700baht every month.  My water bill is between 60-80 baht each month.  I have a true 6mps unlimited 12 month sim card that cost me 1120 baht.

I have a  FCD account with Krungsri with a sum that more than covers the 800KTHB requirement for my annual NON-o retirement extension.

I am five minutes from a beautiful beach.  I am three minutes from an estuary river where my boats are moored and I drive out the mouth of the river into the sea.  Great fishing here...this season I caught coral trout, grouper, queenfish, barracuda, spanish mackeral, and lots of other premium table fish that I only know the Thai name for like Pla Tamad, Pla Seeum, Pla mare, etc.

My friend here in the village has a shellfish farm.  I buy green lipped mussles of him for 40 baht a kilo.  My GF also has two farms about 5 KM from our house.  I dug a bore on one and we have great water.  We have planted out lots of fruit and vegies there. (Went there today on the way back from the fresh market and some <deleted> had stolen all of my ripe mullberries..)

If you have 100K aud that is more than enough to recreate my lifestyle.  The key however is that I speak fluent Thai.  

I used to be a big deal.  I have three degrees and I am a qualified tradesman as well. I once worked for the then Prime Minister's family and I have completed projects for some of the largest companies in the world.  But that was another life...and one I am grateful to be rid off.

Now I have a new and very little life, but it brings me a great deal of joy.

All sounded fantastic until you went all...."I used to be a big deal" ???????????????????? jesus wept.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Easy enough to do, I've just taken in a 13yo girl from my woman's village.

Plenty of unwanted children floating around in Thailand that could do with some help.

So I've got 2 now, a 10yo boy of my own and a 13yo girl from someone else.

The boy is teaching the girl English.

What a great practical purpose in life, helping others less fortunate. What a pity that there are not more like us out there, perhaps they wouldn't be so bored.