Grab Thailand urges government assistance after Land Transport Department cancels service of private motorcyclists

snoop1130

and must charge the same fare rates as public motorcycle taxi drivers.

Hello.....Well this will mean 40-60-80 baht per delivery for the customers.... Which in turn will kill Grabs business........Who will pay 60 baht plus tip on a 130 baht order....Not me... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Possibily, wonder why they only target Grab and not others (or did they?). It would be inconsistent.

Is it a tax issue? Lobbying? 

Will affect many people indeed. Looking forward to the development, if we even get one.

Baby steps, get Grab to fall in line and the others will tumble in.

7 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Possibily, wonder why they only target Grab and not others (or did they?). It would be inconsistent.

Is it a tax issue? Lobbying? 

Will affect many people indeed. Looking forward to the development, if we even get one.

The Motorcycle Taxi lobbying group came up with a better offer.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Surely this will affect everyone everywhere who does any kind of delivery with a 'white plate' and if taken to its logical conclusion there's no reason why it should only be applied to motorcycles.

I suspect this just destroyed commerce across the country.

How many weeks before they backtrack or 'clarify' on this? Not many I suspect....

Someone at the DLT will be fired very soon.

Hopefully this will slow these people down, these drivers are a hazard on the road with there high speed and dangerous passing. 

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This is simple, and I am pretty sure it do not only regard Grab. Just that they are the only ones protesting. However, it has always been needed to have another class of driver license for taxi according to law. Both for motorcycle and car. Now they wish to enforce the law. Ok, then, the only thing they need to do is go make a test and upgrade their license. But, they see it more fit to be lazy and complain when DLT just do their job.

In Pattaya there would be only like 1 in 50 bike taxi with the yellow plate, these should be made to upgrade & should have a higher insurance rating to cover passengers for when they fall.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moe666 said:
5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Surely this will affect everyone everywhere who does any kind of delivery with a 'white plate' and if taken to its logical conclusion there's no reason why it should only be applied to motorcycles.

I suspect this just destroyed commerce across the country.

How many weeks before they backtrack or 'clarify' on this? Not many I suspect....

Someone at the DLT will be fired very soon.

Hopefully this will slow these people down, these drivers are a hazard on the road with there high speed and dangerous passing. 

@ukrules Yellow plates are not just for motorbikes but for every public transport (buses, vans, taxis, motorbikes).

The change of plate colour doesn't automatically mean that they would change their driving style for the better, more likely to the worse. As they'd be paying more than when using white plates, it's far more likely they'll try to drive even faster to make as much as possible each day, making them even more dangerous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Delivery person gets 50 to 60 baht per delivery according to the GRAB website.

Hardly a pittance, At 10 delivery's per day 5 days a week they are earning 12k a month.

Many work 7 days and I assume do more than 10 deliveries a day.

Driver told me can make 17 -20 k amonth if work every day 

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Delivery person gets 50 to 60 baht per delivery according to the GRAB website.

Hardly a pittance, At 10 delivery's per day 5 days a week they are earning 12k a month.

Many work 7 days and I assume do more than 10 deliveries a day.

Plus Tips , I tip 100 bht everytime.. unless they are terribly late , but they still get 20 out of me . 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The company must remove their partners/drivers with personal vehicles or white license plates from the system within 30 days, starting June 16th. They can only be allowed to provide the services until July 15th, 2022, according to the notification.

A mad dash for riders to go get yellow plates or not many Grab riders around.

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

And Ralf, with cost of gasoline (and you can't convert it to run on gas), 12k a month is a pittance, for a very dangerous gamble of being on Thai roads... on a motorbike... from dawn to dusk. I can nearly guarantee you wouldn't last a month doing it.

Scooter uses 1b of fuel (@ 45b/lt) to travel 1km... (My Honda click is slightly under 1b/km).

Rider works with a 5km radius... so a 60b delivery fuel cost is less than 10%.

Fuel cost to earn 12k is 1000b.

Still not seeing the downside even moreso my numbers are based on 10 deliveries per day for 5 days....

16 deliveries per day 7 days a week is 30k a month (fuel cost B2400).

Yet another government executive fiddling around in the private industry. Never heard of such BS, in a civilized country there would never be such an issue; assuming that white plated bikes are, like cars, taxed and insured. 

Just some pr1cks on a self-profiling ego trip on the world-famous Thai-governmental merry-go-round 

• Like 1