LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

One 'perk' that I wish the LTR Visa had, which to the best of my knowledge it doesn't have, would be exemption from having to submit a TM30 every time I return home from traveling overnight outside of my condominium here in Thailand. 

I forgot to ask BoI (when I was in their office receiving my 10-Year LTR WP visa) if I would be TM30 exempt (even thou I (pessimistically suspect ) I know the answer).

I return to Phuket soon from Bangkok, and its my plan to enter my return in the TM30 database.  I am also curious to see if there is an entry in that TM30 database (for the LTR Visa) to select beside my name, when my wife and I register my return to my abode in that database.

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

One 'perk' that I wish the LTR Visa had, which to the best of my knowledge it doesn't have, would be exemption from having to submit a TM30 every time I return home from traveling overnight outside of my condominium here in Thailand. 

I forgot to ask BoI (when I was in their office receiving my 10-Year LTR WP visa) if I would be TM30 exempt (even thou I (pessimistically suspect ) I know the answer).

I return to Phuket soon from Bangkok, and its my plan to enter my return in the TM30 database.  I am also curious to see if there is an entry in that TM30 database (for the LTR Visa) to select beside my name, when my wife and I register my return to my abode in that database.

According to the latest guidance (unfortunately not followed by all immigration offices) you only need to submit a fresh TM30 report if (i) your permanent residence changes; or (ii) you leave Thailand and re-enter with a fresh permission to stay. As far as I know, there has been no official word on whether re-entering with an LTR visa should be treated as a fresh entry under the guidance. (It has been explicitly stated that coming back with a re-entry permit is not a fresh entry.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

According to the latest guidance (unfortunately not followed by all immigration offices) you only need to submit a fresh TM30 report if (i) your permanent residence changes; or (ii) you leave Thailand and re-enter with a fresh permission to stay. As far as I know, there has been no official word on whether re-entering with an LTR visa should be treated as a fresh entry under the guidance. (It has been explicitly stated that coming back with a re-entry permit is not a fresh entry.)

Thanks for that info.   I confess I do not know what Phuket's immigration's policy is on this.  There have been a couple recent articles in the local english language press about Phuket immigration handing out 'yellow cards' to both foreigners and their Thai landlords for failing to send TM30s to immigration.

After returning to Phuket, my wife and I went to the online Immigration database for TM30 and entered my return (address) to my condo. We checked the drop down menu (which lists various Visa types) and there is NO mention of the LTR Visa (ie that website has not been updated).  

However in the Thai database, to enter the Visa type as part of the online TM30 completion is an optional field.  One does not have to fill in the Visa type - and so there being no LTR Visa field in that drop down menu is rather a mute point. 

Plus as you point out, dependent on the immigration office, the guidelines you point out suggest one may not need to do the TM30 for nominal domestic travel.

Edited by oldcpu

I have a question, i want to apply for the LTR Visa but for some papers  i have to translate, but they write "a notarized translations" but this we don't have in our country we have a certified sworn translator....does anyone know or this is ok?

1 hour ago, Cocon said:

I have a question, i want to apply for the LTR Visa but for some papers  i have to translate, but they write "a notarized translations" but this we don't have in our country we have a certified sworn translator....does anyone know or this is ok?

As I understand the requirement, you need the translation to be notarised by the Thai embassy in your country, and subsequently have the notarisation validated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand. If I am mistaken, someone will no doubt correct me.

On 6/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, Mike Teavee said:

What folks with an income of $80,000 a year? 

For those of us over 60 we started working during a time when pensions were more common. If you stuck with a company or industry for 30+ years it is reasonable to expect that a work pension or work pension + Social Security (US citizens) can be above $80k/year. Particularly for those have rose to management level positions. 

17 hours ago, Cocon said:

It would be best to ask BoI via their Contact form or email address, but I expect translation via certified sworn translator is acceptable "if that is what is used in your country." 

BoI has been answering inquiries pretty fast (within hours to a few days).  Be sure to identify your country and how they use certified sworn translators in your inquiry.   I expect BoI has dealt with applications from "many" countries and know what type of translations are available in each country. 

https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Now in BritTim's response that's the procedure for getting a document "legalized" which is typically used for those folks wanting to register a marriage with the Thai govt were the marriage was accomplished outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

Hello,

Just a quick question. Will BOI accept US Medicare  supplemental Plan F for the min health insurance requirements? Or alternatively, what is the best option for health insurance coverage, keeping in mind applying for LTR from overseas and unable to do insurance check ups before reaching Thailand?

Out of interest what has been the take up # of LTR.

Read many posts almost bragging about wealth level to along lines ...

I have LTR.

Congratulations.

What are the total LTR issued so far.

Only a guess but thinking SFA. 

PE (elite visa) stats are available.

Assume LTR also. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The number is very small and orders of magnitude smaller than what the BOI was originally aiming for.  If you scroll though this thread, you will find various numbers announced.  Please however note that these are only numbers of applications, not the even smaller number of visas actually granted and issued.

3 hours ago, sustanon said:

LTRW "Wealthy Global Citizens".
Is 1 million in assets enough to apply or do you also need to have 80k a year in income ?

The qualification requirements are summarised on the page https://ltr.boi.go.th/

WEALTHY INDIVIDUALS HOLDING AT LEAST USD 1 MILLION IN ASSETS

• At least USD 1 million in assets

• Personal income of a minimum of USD 80,000/ year in the past two years

• Investment of at least USD 500,000 in Thai government bonds, foreign direct investment, or Thai property

• Health insurance with at least USD 50,000 coverage or social security benefits insuring treatment in Thailand or at least USD 100,000 deposit

• Applicants must fulfill all of the above requirements to be eligible for Wealthy Global Citizens application

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

The qualification requirements are summarised on the page https://ltr.boi.go.th/

Yet for the LTR-WP, wealthy pensioner, as has been discussed in this thread, all that's needed for it is to have a pension or such of 80k USD at least r if between 40K USD and 80k USD an investment of 250K USD in Thailand.  If you qualify you qualify.  There are other classes of LTR Visas available as well such as the one in the quote, and then a work from Thailand Visa or work in Thailand visa which also includes a work permit,

1 hour ago, Misty said:

In foreign chamber talks by government officials involved in designing and promoting the program, it was mentioned that the high initial target numbers were pretty much aspirational only.  High targets were needed in order to get the program off its feet, but it didn't seem like the speakers thought they needed to be achieved for the program to be a success.

It is not uncommon in the world of public relations to try to declare a goal grossly failed not to have been meant seriously in an attempt to gloss over the failure afterwards

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Read many posts almost bragging about wealth level to along lines ...

I have LTR.

Congratulations.

What are the total LTR issued so far.

Only a guess but thinking SFA. 

PE (elite visa) stats are available.

Assume LTR also. 

The number of people who have applied 1 Sep 2022 - 18 Apr 2023 is on the BoI LTR website....one of those sliding charts on the side of the computer screen.   I asked BoI if the chart reflected "total" applications or only those "approved" applications; BoI answered it was "total" applications.   

But I would expect (just my guess) it's only those applications that pass an initial sanity check (i.e., complete or mostly complete applications vs applications missing various required proof/documents or don't even come close to meeting requirements). 

Basically where the top of the chart says "Qualifications Endorsement Applies".....that means the total number of LTR Visa applications without indicating how many were approved.    Also, keep in mind that BoI and relevant application reviewing agencies only "endorse" an application; it's not finally, finally approved until you pay the Bt50K issue fee via going to BoI Immigration in Bangkok or via the e-visa system if currently residing outside of Thailand.

Snapshot from BoI LTR website as of 17 June 2023

Statistics of LTR Visa

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sustanon said:

LTRW "Wealthy Global Citizens".
Is 1 million in assets enough to apply or do you also need to have 80k a year in income ?

You need to meet "all", not just one, of the income requirements as shown in the BoI LTR snapshot in BritTom's post above.    

I expect a fair amount of people could meet the 1 million in assets requirements if they were lucky enough to own some real estate that they inherited or bought, have some BIG savings like retirement savings/stocks/bonds, etc.   Heck, I have family/friends back in the U.S. who are millionaires on paper from real estate they bought/inherited many years ago (but have no plans/desire to sell), but who live on modest pensions/savings.  

But the Wealthy Global Citizen visa also requires at least $80K income per year.  Heck, a person could be assets rich on paper like owing some real estate worth at least a $1M somewhere worldwide but not having a lot of annual income.   And they also need to show at least $500K investment "in" Thailand like real estate, direct investment, or Thai govt bonds. 

I expect if a person bought Thai real estate (even if bought years ago but still owned) worth at least $1M at time of purchase that would kill two birds with one stone by meeting the $1M in assets requirement and the $500K investment in Thailand requirement.  But after killing those two birds the $80K in annual income bird still has to be killed.

• Thumbs Up 1