BoT Governor defends weaker Thai Baht, says weaker currency is nothing to worry

webfact

image.jpeg

By Pichayapa Phiwpong

After a short respite, the Thai Baht has begun its downward spiral and talks about possible intervention by the Bank of Thailand (BoT) was unable to help keep the Thai Baht from slipping to 36 baht to the US dollar.

The continued slide by the Thai Baht has prompted Sethaput Suthiwartnarueput, Governor of the Bank of Thailand, to come out to say that the Thai Baht’s move was nothing abnormal and was in line with the currencies across the region and the world.

‘If you ask me whether the baht depreciation was abnormal, odd, or has gone completely too far from other currencies, my answer would be no,” Sethaput said at a seminar today.

He said that the foreign exchange rate of the baht is only in the middle, leaning towards higher. The US dollar appreciated by about 11%, while the baht weakened by around 7% which is not as weak as the dollar strengthen, he said.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/41662/bot-governor-defends-weaker-thai-baht-says-weaker-currency-is-nothing-to-worry/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-07-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

Is this a weak Baht or merely a strong Dollar?

Sure looks like the latter to me.  If you want to see what a weakening currency looks like, check out the Hungarian Forint at the moment.

Not a strong Dollar whatsoever, but a highly manipulated on false pretense - could easily be said of the Baht as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

s this a weak Baht or merely a strong Dollar?

Sure looks like the latter to me.  If you want to see what a weakening currency looks like, check out the Hungarian Forint at the moment.

Yes the latter of course---1 minute looking at the internet exchange tells us all that--- but for some unknown reason ASEAN keeps pushing this line....Just wish the $ OZ  was as weak as the Baht.

Besides the USA $ which is stronger against the Thai baht

The pound is going lower against the $1.18 and 43 against the Thai baht

I think it's wishful thinking on the pound sterling getting stronger against both currencies until the Government sorts out the mess of who is running the Country UK ???????? 

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can't see why the dollar is so strong - weak president - soon to be lame duck, debt to the eyeballs, printing money like nobodies business, high inflation problems, work shy workforce. Fed raises the rates 0.01% and boom its up against all currencies.

Since the £ is stable against the baht - sort of even if slightly lower than was - and down against the $, it quite clearly is a mad strong dollar now. 

The Gammon view.

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Stop manipulting  iw ould say.... The THB can't be strong as there are too many negative factors.... 10 days ago 37.5 for a euro now 36.4.. It is not good fot tourism, Thauland will be too expensive..Rising prices, double pricing for foreigners, higher inflation than expected a censure debat coming up, and bad economical figures..... and still the THB moves in the wrong direction..

Upwards manipulation of the baht has mostly been the norm here in order to assist the elites with their overseas investments in property etc. However they got badly caught out in the 1997/8 crash, but I doubt they will allow that to happen again. I seem to remember getting 70 baht plus to the UK pound around that time.

Happy days !

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm a fan of 36THB/1 USD. 
Works for me. 

Works for me too.  You'd think the USD flying against the THB would put this "manipulation" idea to rest.  But not to be.  People should realize that the strength of their home currency has more to do with what's going on back home, not what the Thais are doing.  Crying manipulation all the time is nonsensical.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Stop manipulting  iw ould say.... The THB can't be strong as there are too many negative factors.... 10 days ago 37.5 for a euro now 36.4.. It is not good fot tourism, Thauland will be too expensive..Rising prices, double pricing for foreigners, higher inflation than expected a censure debat coming up, and bad economical figures..... and still the THB moves in the wrong direction..

yes ive been waiting to change up a large amount of euro but not at this rate Where the hell is this weak Baht they are talking about on here 

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

look at euro and GBP baht ain't sinking 

You're not wrong, but it's the USD I care about as that's what I transfer to Thailand, so I'm perfectly happy with the baht's decline against the dollar.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Works for me too.  You'd think the USD flying against the THB would put this "manipulation" idea to rest.  But not to be.  People should realize that the strength of their home currency has more to do with what's going on back home, not what the Thais are doing.  Crying manipulation all the time is nonsensical.   

The rich buy currency t make more profit if the THB rates will change... It looks that the THB is strong but in fact it is artificial. and now the euro is less appriciated they will buy more USD.