We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years

webfact

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

You're such a little Englander. I got some news for you: Britain is not the World.

Many of my British compatriots have it in their heads that our country is still a major-league world power, when in fact we're a mid-sized (second-tier) power, similar to France.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

You're such a little Englander. I got some news for you: Britain is not the World.

How do you know his stature.....

Let's have it then.....

Correct, well done, it is an Island to the west of France.............????

• Like 1

NEWS FLASH ... it's only going to get hotter.  It's what the planet does, and has been doing forever.   OK, all of 1 or 2C over the next 100-200 yrs ???? =  a big nothing.

So deal with it, if you think you need to.  Turn AC on, if in warm area, or move to, if in cold area.  Options abound.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

He he, keep up the scare mongering, good source of financing for the scientific environmentalists and the whole industry to study, innovate and develop new new technologies depleting earths resources and controlling existing heat while creating more heat.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Do you actually read that Wikipedia article? I seriously doubt it since it begins with this:

Global cooling was a conjecture, especially during the 1970s, of imminent cooling of the Earth culminating in a period of extensive glaciation, due to the cooling effects of aerosols or orbital forcing. Some press reports in the 1970s speculated about continued cooling; these did not accurately reflect the scientific literature of the time, which was generally more concerned with warming from an enhanced greenhouse effect.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

Just like global warming is a conjecture now.

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

the MWP was not a globally uniform event.

Possible causes of the MWP include increased solar activity, decreased volcanic activity, and changes in ocean circulation.

None of those conditions exist at the current time. There are no natural issues which might affect climate change to cause warming at present.

Wrong.  Solar activity is a permanent condition. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, userabcd said:

He he, keep up the scare mongering, good source of financing for the scientific environmentalists and the whole industry to study, innovate and develop new new technologies depleting earths resources and controlling existing heat while creating more heat.

I guess when you've got nothing, conspiracies theories are the way to go.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Tell it to the author of this article.

You might try reading the entire article:

"The World Weather Attribution group analyzed historical weather data that suggested early, long heat waves that impact a massive geographical area are rare, once-a-century events. 

But the current level of global warming, caused by human-caused climate change, has made those heat waves 30 times more likely."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

NEWS FLASH ... it's only going to get hotter.  It's what the planet does, and has been doing forever.   OK, all of 1 or 2C over the next 100-200 yrs ???? =  a big nothing.

So deal with it, if you think you need to.  Turn AC on, if in warm area, or move to, if in cold area.  Options abound.

There's not much, if anything, that can be done about willful ignorance. So I won't even suggest that you read the IPCC report about the huge difference between damage caused by a 1.5 degree increase and that caused by a 2 degree increase. And that rate of increases has been accelerating. So it's not a question of even 100 years anymore.

And you think that turning the AC on will mitigate the huge damage to infrastructure that the UK, among other nations, is experiencing from high heat? Can you explain how that works?

• Like 2

"We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years, according to the UN's climate science body, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)." I know this is made up bull and that makes the entire article a joke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Just like global warming is a conjecture now.

When over 99% of research papers reflect a research consensus, maybe it's time you learned what's the difference between a "conjecture" and a scientific theory.

Greater than 99% consensus on human caused climate change in the peer-reviewed scientific literature

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966

• Thanks 2

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

You've missed the point. Never mind. Keep trying.

You offer no explanation, just an assertion. Which is not surprising, since you clearly don't understand that there's a difference in meaning between "increased solar activity" and "solar activity".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SatEng said:

Yes, we know

I personally worked on a radar satellite launched 30 years ago monitoring the global sea temperatures and the change since then with continuous data is astonishing.

During that time there have been no natural phenomena - difference in sun temperature, orbital distance from the sun etc. that could account for the rapid growth in sea temperatures.

In fact there have been a couple of cooling incidents from volcanic eruptions but not enough to affect then upward trajectory.

The only cause then is "non-natural"

Sea temperatures are more significant than land temperatures as with a higher temperature overall the sea level rises, more glacial melt even under the surface, current paths are affected and many of the species in the ocean are being adversely affected aswell - threatening food supply.

The solution, however, looks challenging but is in fact quite clear - it is all down to economics.

If renewable energy production falls to a cost less than that of fossil fuels then it will be adopted - similarly the phasing out of hydrocarbon based plastics - regulation has a small role in pushing this to happen - reversing desertification and desalination are a bit trickier and much more expensive but we see this already happening in UAE where they are prepared to spend the money and may have to happen in other places including the California wine districts

So I am not as much a pessimist as some others

I am not disputing what you observed over the last 30 years, I was looking at a comment about an event that happened 1000 years ago that someone is having a guess at.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sungod said:

I am not disputing what you observed over the last 30 years, I was looking at a comment about an event that happened 1000 years ago that someone is having a guess at.

You have to look at scientific data - for the last 30 years and the last 1000 and 125,000 years

But glad that you don't dispute the data for the last 30 years as that is the most relevant today and is the most compelling proof we have that there is an observable trend.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SatEng said:

I personally worked on a radar satellite launched 30 years ago monitoring the global sea temperatures and the change since then with continuous data is astonishing.

I thought they changed satellites and measuring methods ever 5 years or so?

If it were the same satellite measuring the temperatures for the pasts 30 years I'd be more confident in the results.

As for long term past temperatures, I can remember a summer in the 1970s that was so hot you could shovel ladybirds out of the roads. Not to mention every summer holiday was 6-8 weeks of blistering heat on the south coast of England.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I thought they changed satellites and measuring methods ever 5 years or so?

If it were the same satellite measuring the temperatures for the pasts 30 years I'd be more confident in the results.

Although the satellites have changed (usual lifetime is about 10 years on the ones I worked on) we made a definite effort to keep the instrumentation on the satellites the same so that there was a continuous and contiguous dataset

ERS-1, ERS-2, Envisat. Sentinel-1 etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You might try reading the entire article:

"The World Weather Attribution group analyzed historical weather data that suggested early, long heat waves that impact a massive geographical area are rare, once-a-century events. 

But the current level of global warming, caused by human-caused climate change, has made those heat waves 30 times more likely."

He cites 13 specific examples from the UK. The rest are from Southeast Asia. No mention of North, Central, or South America or Africa. It's a hysteria laden piece (three exclamations marks at one point), argued in the passive voice. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

We are living in the hottest period for 125,000 years, according to the UN's climate science body, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Thi IPCC are idiots, a few months ago I was freezing my nuts off in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just don't believe you!

I can't buy any scientific measuring equipment today, that was on sale 30 years ago.

Ha-Ha

Just like you cannot buy any telescope or tape measure today that is like anything on sale 30 years ago

It is not the make of the equipment that matters it is the measurement that it does - however we also managed to keep the manufacturers the same

The difference over the period has been the accuracy of the processing of the data we can obtain - so we have more granularity on the exact temperatures than you would get from earlier versions

• Like 2