You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

2 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Quite possibly. If he invests it well he should be able to get a return of about 9% PA. giving him an income of around 45K AUD a year or about 20000B a week. Should be doable.

Ignoring recent losses? pretend losses don't happen?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ignoring recent losses? pretend losses don't happen?

That is the average return, the real return is higher in good years, worse in poor years. Similar to with gold, average PA around 10% over the past 20 years.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Quite possibly. If he invests it well he should be able to get a return of about 9% PA. giving him an income of around 45K AUD a year or about 20000B a week. Should be doable.

If you believe the marked is solid for another 10 years, that would be a good idea, but we do not know that, do we? We will have an correction and a recession sooner or later, what then? 

What would guaranteed give him safety for the next 10 years is the question. Going back to Australia? Keep his relations to Australia ?

Anly stupidity makes someone cut loose from their origin country if they do not have enough funds or living sustainable without taking to much out of their funds, or letting marked corrections and inflation eat up their funds. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Hummin said:

If you believe the marked is solid for another 10 years, that would be a good idea, but we do not know that, do we? We will have an correction and a recession sooner or later, what then? 

What would guaranteed give him safety for the next 10 years is the question. Going back to Australia? Keep his relations to Australia ?

Anly stupidity makes someone cut loose from their origin country if they do not have enough funds or living sustainable without taking to much out of their funds, or letting marked corrections and inflation eat up their funds. 

I would be more worried about depending on a pension than to worry about losses of money you manage yourself. Crisis always brings opportunities, during covid plenty dropped big time too, while other things go up. That's why you have to stay awake.

They will just continue to play games and nothing wil really crash, until near 2030 when they install the digital central bank <deleted>.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That is the average return, the real return is higher in good years, worse in poor years. Similar to with gold, average PA around 10% over the past 20 years.

Then again , Gold is currently art the same price as it was ten years ago

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The market has never been solid. It always goes up and down. the returns are an average over a period usually 7-10 years. nothing on the horizon to suggest pending catastrophe. If you plan well you will have a buffer to see you through the downturns.  

4 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

The market has never been solid. It always goes up and down. the returns are an average over a period usually 7-10 years. nothing on the horizon to suggest pending catastrophe. If you plan well you will have a buffer to see you through the downturns.  

For those who seems to have all the answers, it seems easy! I do not pretend I know everything, but still not lost a dime on bad investments on average, but I had some few stocks going to hell, but saved myself on others. 

Who is going to invest money for a reckless investor who do not even understand how he should preserve his fortune? Let someone else invest and guide him, or learn by himself? 

• Confused 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:06 PM, kekalot said:

40 years old, no drinking, no bars, no massages or any paying for sexy times

3500 rent (4x5 meters simple room) including water and electric, 50 meters from the beach
750 baht gigabit fiber home internet and 20GB mobile (combined)
150 baht per day for food  = 4500
60 baht for 4x 20L delivered jugs of drinking water
1900 baht per year for visa extension (160 per month)

1000 baht per month for grain free food for dogs

all in, simple life but about 10,000 a month

my internet is paid yearly, not monthly with a discount so it's not technically in my "monthly" budget but it would be if they'd let me pay per month so I include it.

I "need" nothing else.. it's about 10% of my income and I just save the rest.

so yes, I still think I can live on less than 50k a month and I've been doing it for almost 10 years now

and in 10 years, the only thing that went up for me is the rent, the landlady jacked up the price because of "electric" by 500 baht twice by now.

Wow! That's a super low budget. What type of place is this that rent 3500 baht?

I know that most decent places (an apartment) are now at least 7000 baht and above.

Edited by EricTh

29 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You are right that now is tough. Invest and get stock  market losses. Leave it in cash and cop inflation. It is clearly prudent to be much safer in his situation as the implications of a crash are shattering to his retirement. Peace of mind is important for some. If I was in his situation I'd get the Australian pension happening - I think he was Australian - which is steady and safe and can supplement his savings and then he can relax and do his thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly don't want to be listening to people on here, could easily be dreaming in their mum's basement

That could be the answer, yes

By the fact, I live on the second floor apartment of my moms house when back home, because my flat is rented out ????

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly don't want to be listening to people on here, could easily be dreaming in their mum's basement

Or living well by educating themselves and making some prudent financial decisions rather than just hoping it will all work out.

52 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You are right that now is tough. Invest and get stock  market losses. Leave it in cash and cop inflation. It is clearly prudent to be much safer in his situation as the implications of a crash are shattering to his retirement. Peace of mind is important for some. If I was in his situation I'd get the Australian pension happening - I think he was Australian - which is steady and safe and can supplement his savings and then he can relax and do his thing. 

Stock losses on paper dont matter if they pay dividends

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The only thing is he must go back for 2 years before claiming !

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Can earn under 65k per month if you have 800k in a Thai bank apparently 

How do you guys go withdrawal of your overseas pension paying the 220b ATM fee?

I put the 800k in my Thai bank years ago in a deposit acc: so get interest. How do I get monies here simple I phone my Off shore bank and they send monies over to my Thai bank neither charge for this transaction. I get by on around 30/5k BHT a month for 3 of us, 2 dogs 3 cats some fish and a Bird, all require feeding. It's also not because I'm a cheap Charlie. I don't drink (Well do but don't like lager) Don't pay rent. Run a big diesel car and do low millage.  But one of the biggest things is I don't live in a tourist area. If I lived in say Pattaya I would have to double that. Even more in Phuket.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Stock losses on paper dont matter if they pay dividends

Sometimes. But lets say you have $500,000 and are getting $50,000 in dividends. If the stocks drop so you have $250,000 are those shares likely to continue to pay out the same dividend which would now be 20 per cent. Unlikely. Then there's unexpected things as a retired person, e.g. medical, going back home for some reason, girlfriend buffalo problems, and you might want to dip in that capital. Not being able to and just hoping your shares go back up is unsettling for anyone but particularly if you have stopped working and this is your sole source of income. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Sometimes. But lets say you have $500,000 and are getting $50,000 in dividends. If the stocks drop so you have $250,000 are those shares likely to pay out the same dividend which would now be 20 per cent. Unlikely. Then there's unexpected things as a retired person, e.g. medical, going back home for some reason, girlfriend buffalo problems, and you might want to dip in that capital. Not being able to and just hoping your shares go back up is unsettling for anyone but particularly if you have stopped working and this is your sole source of income. 

Bhp dropped 30% same dps.

He could leave half in cash.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Bhp dropped 30% same dps.

He could leave half in cash.

If I know the period your talking about over a year or two it went up then back down so not far off it's average. Mining shares do tend to jump around though BHP of course is about safe as it gets. But I agree. Half BHP and half cash is a fairly safe approach. 

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

If I know the period your talking about over a year or two it went up then back down so not far off it's average. Mining shares do tend to jump around though BHP of course is about safe as it gets. But I agree. Half BHP and half cash is a fairly safe approach. 

4 big shares plus 50% cash.

Bhp is half iron ore and 20% copper earnings. If they go up bhp goes up.

Rio the same.

8 minutes ago, Olmate said:

And will his  600k super effect getting full pension? 

In order to receive full Age Pension payments, your assets will need to be below the following limits (assuming you are being assessed under the Assets Test and not the Income Test). If you are a member of a couple, your combined assets are assessed against the relevant limits:

Homeowner Non-Homeowner
Single $280,000 $504,500

6 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

In order to receive full Age Pension payments, your assets will need to be below the following limits (assuming you are being assessed under the Assets Test and not the Income Test). If you are a member of a couple, your combined assets are assessed against the relevant limits:

Homeowner Non-Homeowner
Single $280,000 $504,500

He is non homeowner,BUT I'm not sure of the Australian law in regards to superannuation accounts and drawing from them.

On another note my flight Centre shared went down $1 each today !!

11 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

He is non homeowner,BUT I'm not sure of the Australian law in regards to superannuation accounts and drawing from them.

On another note my flight Centre shared went down $1 each today !!

I think they went up a lot recently. It kind of amazes me that Flight Centre is still a thing. Except for people on same complicated tour who needs help booking flights and accommodation. A friend got travel insurance through them and it cost almost double than just buying the same insurance direct from Covermore. 

I think your friend would still get the age pension, a bit reduced, but the full balance of his super fund would affect the assets test. 

Superannuation - Age Pension - Services Australia