traffic rule

7 hours ago, sightseer said:

can someone explain when is this allowed? which lane 

The only one I know of is it being able to turn left in the left hand lane at a red lights the signs are in Thai usually or there's no signs. 

When approach some traffic lights not all but most of the time it's best to stop in middle lane not the left lane because of above. 

When you can go through traffic light junctions with caution it is when the (Amber) yellow light is flashing or the Red light is flashing.

As said early mornings and at night many go through red lights if there is no other traffic about, obviously you are not supposed to but unless there is a camera you can carefully get away with it. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The only one I know of is it being able to turn left in the left hand lane at a red lights the signs are in Thai usually or there's no signs. 

No sign: allowed by the rules.

Sign: it can either be a not allowed/wait sign or an explicit allow sign (rare).

Both usually in Thai and same blue/white color.

As an add-on/"courtesy" to foreigner there are forbidden signs in English with a red arrow in certain areas like Pattaya.

All clear now?

For years it was big fun/cash machine on Pattaya 2nd rd / Central.

There was a forbidden sign in Thai language only.

Cops waiting around the corner.

Now sign in English spoils all the fun :biggrin:

The only legal pass through on red that I know is at big wide T-sections with multiple lanes where you can go through on the left only. But there are clear explicit signs.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If you're talking about going straight (rather than turning left) then it's not allowed. The people who do this are breaking the law.

that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. if the road's clear then why not? especially if you're a Grab driver with mah pizza.

• Haha 1

thanks guys. that was very helpful. i will study your replies carefully.

i believe this sign shows rule #3 by Swiss1960

snapped this photo in prom phong area. there was no left turns

(translation: left most lane, pass always, careful of vehicles from right)

sign.jpg

Edited by sightseer

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The only legal pass through on red that I know is at big wide T-sections with multiple lanes where you can go through on the left only.

Exactly the same thing at the traffic lights near the Uni in Buriram.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No sign: allowed by the rules.

Sign: it can either be a not allowed/wait sign or an explicit allow sign (rare).

Both usually in Thai and same blue/white color.

Yes the signs are where I have doubt - are they saying that I can't turn left, or are they saying that I can ?

7 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I have another question relating to red lights if I may... where am I supposed to stop exactly? there is a traffic light, but no road markings such as a stop line? thanks

no_stop_line.jpg

in this example... the ‘Stop line’ for the motorcyclist (in orange going straight on) will be about 5m behind him..

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I have another question relating to red lights if I may... where am I supposed to stop exactly? there is a traffic light, but no road markings such as a stop line? thanks

no_stop_line.jpg

that intersection you technically can't stop there on red as most traffic heading towards suk has to turn left and go up the expressway, only bus is allowed to continue straight there, so the red light is only for bus

• Confused 1

Nowhere. You, and that bike, are not allowed to go straight at that place.

I think only busses are allowed to go straight there. And I guess they know where to stop.

That is Ploenchit to Sukhumvit under the highway bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7428783,100.5501881,3a,90y,64.85h,89.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCbo0WasRMLVNEu00kscalg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I guess you are correct guys. I've been unknowingly breaking the rules ????‍♂️

I tried selecting 2 points on either side of the bridge on google maps. the routing took the long way.

To be honest, I did not notice any warning signs such as a buses only blue sign.

route.jpg

10 hours ago, sightseer said:

where am I supposed to stop exactly?

In Thailand it's 'monkey see monkey do'. Just do what all the monkeys are doing. It works for them.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

In Thailand it's 'monkey see monkey do'. Just do what all the monkeys are doing. It works for them.

That is right, until,  the big monkey comes along and tells you, your wrong as you are a different kind of monkey and for that reason your busted. now get your big bananas out and pay up. :jap:

• Sad 1

a few meters back I noticed two more signs with more detail about the timing

does that mean I can go straight ahead everyday if the time is not between 5PM and 7PM. and on public holidays I go straight all day?

i guess motorcycles/scooters not allowed entry at all

sign2.jpg

sign1.jpg

18 hours ago, sightseer said:

does that mean I can go straight ahead everyday if the time is not between 5PM and 7PM. and on public holidays I go straight all day?

Yes.... 

Its somewhat ambiguous (as is most the traffic rules which very at each individual junction in Bangkok).... But...   It means you have to turn left at that ‘Wireless / Sukhumvit rd junction between 5 and 7pm (only buses can go straight on).

This is one of the most idiotic junction rules in Bangkok - It makes getting to an Expressway entrance a proper PITA...  there is a ‘cheeky working around’ which makes an utter mockery of the reason for such a dumb rule (see map below).

It is these dumb rules which add traffic to Bangkok’s streets - they solve an immediate issue (of clearing that Wireless / Sukhumvit junction for vehicles travelling west to turn right onto Wireless. However, it ‘kicks the traffic can down the road’ as it keeps vehicles on the road for longer as they circumnavigate and take the longway round.

image.png.e814950c58aa9179d87a3ccc08e56398.png

Edited by richard_smith237

On 7/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, sightseer said:

I found this sign in front of homepro

mandatory left except buses and expressway cars

left.jpg

So what we fondly used to call "the corner at the British Embassy" or "Wireless @ Ploenchit" is now called "in front of homepro."

I lament what the British Empire has become.