Drink driving in Thailand: Thais have had enough - 60 year old drunk attacked after he kills "moo ping" vendor

webfact

This is only new because of the locals lynching and arresting him.

This country is in the sad and sorry state of accidents like this happening every day. But they make a big deal in the news out of so many other things. I'll leave that there, rather than elaborate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What if the drunk guy on the motorbike was an alcoholic ?, where was your compassion ? Quote: “ it was great to watch “ ??

Or are you just wanting to tell us that you were an alcoholic ??

Jeez, you’ll be telling us you are a Thai next !!

what motorbike ? are you drunk?

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Once I was knocked over when crossing the road by a drunk guy on a motorbike. 

A vendor kicked off his helmet in one kick then kicked him again in the head, it was great to watch. 

Alcoholism is a disease so show some compassion to the driver. 

A kick to the head isn't very compassionate, but where does it say he is an alcoholic?  It only said he was drunk

Edited by Bday Prang

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Alcoholism is a disease so show some compassion to the driver. 

Where does it say the driver was an alcoholic? Regardless, no sympathy here (and in any case, some alcoholics would be better drivers, despite their blood alcohol level, than someone who'd just been on the lash). 

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

what are you talking about?  No compassion is needed in that circumstance, none at all. How long before he kills someone;  a kid perhaps, or several? Good old fashioned 'physical chastisement'  may knock some sense into him.  

Read the post I was replying to before jumping in with both feet .

I remember years ago there were signs on roadside trees which stated in Thai “ if drunk, don’t drive”

I obtained many laughs with the rejoinder for us Falangs “ if not drunk don’t drive (on Thai roads) you 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Drunk drivers that kill or wound people should be put in jail mandatory. Drinking and driving just does not mix.

Before someone says it.. drugs and driving also dont mix and same applies.

Most (All?)European countries will have jail time for causing death while driving drunk. U.K. recently increased the maximum penalty  (death by dangerous driving = being drunk) to 14 years . 
You’ll find it very difficult and expensive to get insurance after a drink conviction too,probably impossible if you’ve killed some one.

4 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Thais need to rebrand drunks who drive as Terrorist's. Then the courts should follow through the same way and lock them up for 20 years.  

Whilst I totally agree the Drunk Drivers should be branded " Terrorists ', I cannot help but think that " Murderers " is a better branding.

Because to drive and kill a person when knowingly drunk is exactly that

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Most (All?)European countries will have jail time for causing death while driving drunk. U.K. recently increased the maximum penalty  (death by dangerous driving = being drunk) to 14 years . 
You’ll find it very difficult and expensive to get insurance after a drink conviction too,probably impossible if you’ve killed some one.

All the better I got nothing against drinking though not a big fan give me pot any day (though i would not drive on either). But people who are under the influence of anything and drive are the worst. Selfish people putting others at risk. Punishment for those should be really high especially if they wound or kill someone.

• Like 1

Suggest what ever punishment you like for Drunk Driving, it will not make any difference if the law is not enforced.

Enforcing the law, as many here will know, is down to the RTP, so, of course, it is not enforced.

it is not the penalty, but the certainly of being caught and punished that makes public obey any law.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What if the drunk guy on the motorbike was an alcoholic ?, where was your compassion ?

I assume you wrote this in jest. Or you did the Thai politician thing and spoke without engaging brain first. Any alcoholic should be automatically banned from driving, the same as a person with any other disease such as epilepsy which can impair their driving skills. No ifs or buts. Anyone who attempts to operate a killing machine when drunk deserves prison time, alcoholic or not. No ifs or buts. And don't wait until they've killed or injured someone. Breath-test and jail if over the limit. No ifs or buts.

• Like 1

When I visit the Beaches I go to those with almost no "Farang" visitors. The beach is usually crowded to the brink with Thais by late afternoon and cars parked everywhere. Almost all Thai's around us drink alcohol. Then by evening you have to be very careful when driving back home, as all Thai drivers from the beach seem to drive like zombies, slowly and in flocks. 

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

It bloody well doesn't help if you have these posters along side of the road

What it says is: "Drunk. Drive slowly"

drunk.jpg.9217483c9626eec468509a038ecc580b.jpg

When I see people driving slowly I automatically assume it's because they're drunk or have no license. Or both.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Whilst I totally agree the Drunk Drivers should be branded " Terrorists ', I cannot help but think that " Murderers " is a better branding.

Because to drive and kill a person when knowingly drunk is exactly that

Murder requires premeditated intention to kill. This is manslaughter which can also carry a very high tariff sentence based on the circumstances (drunk is very high tariff)

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I assume you wrote this in jest. Or you did the Thai politician thing and spoke without engaging brain first. Any alcoholic should be automatically banned from driving, the same as a person with any other disease such as epilepsy which can impair their driving skills. No ifs or buts. Anyone who attempts to operate a killing machine when drunk deserves prison time, alcoholic or not. No ifs or buts. And don't wait until they've killed or injured someone. Breath-test and jail if over the limit. No ifs or buts.

Yes, in jest in reply to a poster calling for compassion.