Is this the end of Thailand's Tourist Industry?

Robin

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I agree. I'd say Pattaya is close to 80% of businesses reopened. Certainly there aren't as many tourists as before unless you count Indians where there are more than ever before. Chinese tourists aren't rare either. I see more and more farang tourists around Pattaya in the past couple of months and I'd say that 99% of the retirees that normally live in Thailand are back. The bars are busy and Soi Buahkhao is busy, especially on weekends.

Yes ' parts of Pattaya  is Buzzin but it's patchy. And of course the Indians count. They eat, drink, travel, stay in hotels and have their own clubs and restaurants- but they don't  have our drinking culture or drink where we do.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I agree. I'd say Pattaya is close to 80% of businesses reopened. Certainly there aren't as many tourists as before unless you count Indians where there are more than ever before. Chinese tourists aren't rare either. I see more and more farang tourists around Pattaya in the past couple of months and I'd say that 99% of the retirees that normally live in Thailand are back. The bars are busy and Soi Buahkhao is busy, especially on weekends.

How is Soi 7 and Soi 8?

During the height of COVID I was amazed at how it had almost completely folded except for a smattering of bars closer to beach road.

I felt like one of those urban explorers with everything closed up and dusty pool tables and overturned barstools.

Such an interesting time exploring Thailand when there virtually no tourists. 

48 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

How is Soi 7 and Soi 8?

During the height of COVID I was amazed at how it had almost completely folded except for a smattering of bars closer to beach road.

I felt like one of those urban explorers with everything closed up and dusty pool tables and overturned barstools.

i think soi 8 very slow in coming back and soin7 not much better but the bars are open. However for years i have found soi 7 and 8 to be dull. There is a recent thread started about pattaya recovery since the end of covid restrictions

https://aseannow.com/topic/1266844-how-are-the-bars-restaurants-agogos-massage-shops-gentleman-clubs-and-any-business-doing-during-now-that-covid-restrictions-are-over/page/4/#comment-17506685

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

How is Soi 7 and Soi 8?

They look totally dead except for the beach road end, lucky star, etc all open. The sois themselves don't look like they will ever come back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

How is Soi 7 and Soi 8?

i suspect that eventually nearly ALL the bar beers between beach road and second road will get shoved out, bulldozed to make room for more hotels/condos/shopping centers etc....won't happen over night but much of that land will become too valuable to support anything but highrises...just a matter of time..."good news:" is it will take a while and bars etc will get shoved further away from ocean but  will still be around in some form or another.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Our village at historical park has loads of people coming back,  there more and more coming week after week and getting much busier now. 

I can see August being busy.

33% busy?

Airports of Thailand (AOT) President Nitinai Sirismatthakarn (centre) met with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to discuss the lack of flight connections to Thailand which the airports boss revealed are only operating at 33% of the level seen in 2019.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's why they love the Indian and Chinese tourists. As for the latter, they spend only a week or so in Thailand, stay at the hotel, eat at a few Chinese-owned restaurants, walk once up-and-down Walking Street behind the guy with the flag, next day to the 'island', then back to the airport... No need for longer visas.

Pollute the sea and the beaches...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

i suspect that eventually nearly ALL the bar beers between beach road and second road will get shoved out, bulldozed to make room for more hotels/condos/shopping centers etc....won't happen over night but much of that land will become too valuable to support anything but highrises...just a matter of time..."good news:" is it will take a while and bars etc will get shoved further away from ocean but  will still be around in some form or another.

For sure.

Dark side is fun to explore! 

• Like 1