Thai art teacher slammed for destroying kid's work "because it wasn't handed to me"

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai  Caption: Why did a teacher do this?

Sanook reported that Thai social media was going ballistic after yet another occasion when a a Thai teacher exhibited a heavy handed approach to a young child's learning and imagination.

A child had clearly taken a great deal of time to prepare what looked like a natural scene of a pond, an animal and vegetation is plasticine.

But the kid left it outside the classroom and didn't give it to the art teacher by hand.

Furious about this the teacher, according to the child and their parent, destroyed it and left it ruined.

Before and after shots accompanied the Facebook post. 

ASEAN NOTES that teachers in Thai schools are often criticised for being fussy about rules rather than letting children express themselves and develop.

In an education system where conformity rather than individuality is the norm.

In this case the media said that the parent would be going to see the school director today to demand that the teacher concerned be reprimanded and it doesn't happen to another child ever again. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thai school teachers need to be made aware that they aren't as hi-so as they think that they are  

These aspects, regarding their general character, have long been ingrained. 

This rooted manner towards authoritarianism and taking themselves much much too seriously isn't worthy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

These aspects, regarding their general character, have long been ingrained. 

This rooted manner towards authoritarianism and taking themselves much much too seriously isn't worthy. 

In the end it is truly a FACE issue, and the teacher tried to stand above the student by destroying the project as it was below her requirements and she needed to make the child loose FACE.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

It's been said, you can judge a nation on how it treats its animals, and that shows here. You treat animals bad, you'll have little respect for humans or life in general.

The same person that said that said the following too. 

Do not judge others. Be your own judge and you will be truly happy. If you will try to judge others, you are likely to burn your fingers.

20 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Quality teachers of Thailand.

Pretty obvious who the child truly was. 

My teachers belted me in front of all my classmates on many occasions. This was in the UK, at one of the top schools that even Lord Byron went to. Would you judge all British teachers in the same way or are you just Thai bashing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My teachers belted me in front of all my classmates on many occasions. This was in the UK, at one of the top schools that even Lord Byron went to. Would you judge all British teachers in the same way or are you just Thai bashing?

That practice ceased by act of Parliament in the UK in 1986!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Quality teachers of Thailand.

Pretty obvious who the child truly was. 

You don't seem to be able to read and comprehend what the op writes. Please point out where the op writes about the other teachers breaking things, I can only find reference to one. 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Thai school teachers need to be made aware that they aren't as hi-so as they think that they are  

They don't think they are HiSo but do have a false sense of superiority. It is actually the egos and false superiority of the parents and therefore the kids that gets the teachers fighting for their right on that upper rung of the Thai hierarchical social ladder. In my experience, especially the Chinese, nouveau riche parents.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

And it will cease here, as Thailand is 30-50 years behind the UK in many matters, as it is a developing nation. I get tired of people raised in the West coming here to take advantage of certain things a developing nation offers them and then bashing the country for other things that are not up to their Western standards. 

It officially ceased in 2020 when the Education Ministry issued its orders. Thai teachers have yet to take any notice of it

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you think the good outweighs the bad in Thailand. ?

36 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

You don't seem to be able to read and comprehend what the op writes. Please point out where the op writes about the other teachers breaking things, I can only find reference to one. 

Yes they are all so good in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What did, you mean corporal punishment? 

You said:

"And it will cease here, as Thailand is 30-50 years behind the UK in many matters, as it is a developing nation. I get tired of people raised in the West coming here to take advantage of certain things a developing nation offers them and then bashing the country for other things that are not up to their Western standards."

In response referencing the 1986 UK banning of corporal punishment.

So yes I did indeed mean that Thailand has now also banned it in schools as of 2020.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's a Thai school on a Thailand forum.

• Confused 1