POLITICS Trump says FBI raiding his Mar-a-Lago home

Scott

It's hard to imagine this flying with independent voters. It kind of makes "defund the police" sound lame by comparison.

“They’re going to drastically use this to rally their allies, GOP leaders on Capitol Hill and juice for his political agenda and run for 2024,” said a person close to the Trump operation. “If there was a 99 percent chance it’s 100 percent now. He makes it part of his platform – going after the FBI.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/09/trump-world-republicans-fbi-2024-run-00050485

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The following morning, the billionaire Trump sent out emails asking for money.

“I need every single red-blooded American Patriot to step up during this time,” read the email. “Please rush in a donation IMMEDIATELY to publicly stand with me against this NEVERENDING WITCH HUNT.”

https://nordot.app/929783457074577408?c=592622757532812385

Is anyone surprised by this?

• Like 1

I doubt anybody had to inform on him.  I think the National Archives knew he had them and where they were.  There was no one else who could do that.  The Archivists saw to it that there was a secure room for secret or sensitive documents but that doesn't give Trump the right to keep those docs.  And now they want them back and they have come to get them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

No need. That they haven't "perp walked" him for the cameras says it all. Had they uncovered evidence of high crimes they would have paraded him many hours ago. Most persecuted human being alive just had his base energized beyond belief, and any non partisan observers will no doubt feel sympathy for Trump.

This isn't an episode of Sherlock Holmes and the FBI aren't wizards out of Harry Potter; things take time and this is only at the beginning.

As has been mentioned many times before, the documents will need to be logged and assessed. Archives will need to be involved and will report on what is there that he shouldn't have (which sounds like everything but I won't jump to concusions). In other words, the evidence needs to be accumulated and then the process of charging will follow. This is an ex-POTUS so I can imagine these guys will be somewhat thorough in all this, knowing that the likes of Kevin McCarthy have already threatened a full investigation IF they get Congress  

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3593582-mccarthy-threatens-to-probe-garland-after-trump-fbi-raid/

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I wonder if he will be charged with a crime. Would be quite a precedent setting affair. I say lock him up. He does appear to have thought he was above the law. Besides, he looks good in orange. 

Most likely he will be eventually indicted for one or more charges by the DOJ and or Georgia. I doubt the DOJ will act before the midterms. I have learned though that if convicted he will probably just get home incarceration because of the  need for secret service protection. So no more golf and no more rallies. The poor dear.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Have you noticed how Trump fans are particularly prone to histronics? 

'Most persecuted human being alive'. Give me a break.

They just regurgitating from the master of grift favourite phrases. Just how many times the grift master have said "witch hunt'. most persecuted President, worse than Salem witch trial" to rile up his base for more donations.  

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

They just regurgitating from the master of grift favourite phrases. Just how many times the grift master have said "witch hunt'. most persecuted President, worse than Salem witch trial" to rile up his base for more donations.  

It's a cult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CNN had an interesting point noting that Trump has the warrant used. The warrant provides some detail on why they did what they did and it is  interesting that Trump hasn't released it. Turned on Fox News for the first time in months just to see Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham have a hissy fit and they didn't disappoint. Or they did disappoint. Hannity compared Trump's treatment to the treatment of such luminaries as General Flynn and Paul Manafort. He was interviewing the latter though I had had enough by then. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Confused 2

Is this why there was a raid ?

Why would anyone throw paper down toilet ?

Any sensitive papers would be shredded first or even burned ,

What if this is just someone using the wrong toilet paper, paper that wouldn't flush and a cleaner made a complaint about the toilets being clogged .

Donald has previously mentioned that toilets need the be flushed 15 times for the waste to go 

"Maggie Haberman, a New York Times reporter, claimed White House staff would "periodically find the toilet clogged" and would then discover "wads of clumped up, wet printed paper... either notes or some other piece of paper they believed had been thrown" down it."

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Is this why there was a raid ?

Why would anyone throw paper down toilet ?

Any sensitive papers would be shredded first or even burned ,

What if this is just someone using the wrong toilet paper, paper that wouldn't flush and a cleaner made a complaint about the toilets being clogged .

Donald has previously mentioned that toilets need the be flushed 15 times for the waste to go 

"Maggie Haberman, a New York Times reporter, claimed White House staff would "periodically find the toilet clogged" and would then discover "wads of clumped up, wet printed paper... either notes or some other piece of paper they believed had been thrown" down it."

The White House would not have a shredder. Papers would be collected, vetted and archived in secure storage. Nothing in the WH is allowed to be shredded, everything is a presidential record. Everything.

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Once again, you are labelling me a Trump supporter and then arguing against this assumed (but incorrect) position.

I am not a fan of Trump or Biden. I find Trump to be crass, rude and somewhat eccentric. Biden is borderline disfunctional at this stage and probably suffering from dementia. They are both economical with the truth.

However, I am against using state agencies to harrass political rivals. I always thought the USA was above that, it's a very slippery slope.

You are making malafide allegation that the search was political. Not only has the Biden's White House has came out and catergorically state that they were not aware. it don't make any sense that they want to upset Trump's supporters just after their biggest victory lap for getting the sweeping health and tax bill passed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

You are making malafide allegation that the search was political. Not only has the Biden's White House has came out and catergorically state that they were not aware. it don't make any sense that they want to upset Trump's supporters just after their biggest victory lap for getting the sweeping health and tax bill passed. 

Thanks for "malafide'.

5 hours ago, Credo said:

I doubt anybody had to inform on him.  I think the National Archives knew he had them and where they were.  There was no one else who could do that.  The Archivists saw to it that there was a secure room for secret or sensitive documents but that doesn't give Trump the right to keep those docs.  And now they want them back and they have come to get them.

And knowing that trump might well try to use classified docs to try and blackmail someone or sell them to the highest bidder...they are classified for a reason.  

• Haha 1