Foreigner Held For Catching Parrotfish In National Park Area

webfact

They all deserve to get into trouble but personally i think the captain of the boat should shoulder the majority of the blame. He is in charge of that boat and should know the laws of the land/sea. Surely he should have told the guy immediately that he could not catch those fish. Do we know where the farang guy got the spear gun from? Would be interesting to know...

5 hours ago, proton said:

What about the thousands of fish flapping about in local markets or the local Thais 'fishing' with those spear guns along klongs? I went fishing in Issan once they said it would be fun, all they did was pump the water out of a pond then collect the fish on the bottom when it was empty, what's so special about the parrotfish?

Duh? - National Park!!!

2 hours ago, dunque said:

I guess you missed the endangered bit.

The parrot fish isn't. This guy has been stupid enough to fish inside a National park, where everything is protected. You can't take anything out of a National park. Wonder about the millions of plastic bottles?

• Like 1

There have been several local cases during the years, and for those who remember the old couple was given 15 years for picking mushrooms in a National park without permission. Found only Bangkok post articles about the case and can not link. This is not only a foreigner problem who get in trouble, but also a local problem where they get prosecuted for even minor trespassing and picking mushrooms even.

As a self claimed experienced spearfisher he should have known better, and also the captain, but he can claim he told him the rules, but misunderstanding because of language might have been the case as he say in his Im sorry Thailand video. 

BANGKOK (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Thailand’s new national parks will impose stricter penalties to further limit the rights of Thai farmers and indigenous people, land rights activists and analysts said on Friday, after a series of convictions highlighted their vulnerability.

Under the National Parks Act, which was unveiled by the government last week and will come into effect in six months, those convicted of encroachment and other offences could face up to 20 years in prison and 2 million baht ($63,755) fines.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-landrights-lawmaking-idUSKCN1T80W4

7 hours ago, greg71 said:

And the boat captain gets off scot-free , typical isnt it from the Thai authorities .

According to Thai PBS the owner of the boat and the skipper are facing similar charges.

Mind you, I suspect that they may find it easier to come to some sort of solution!

Incidentally - professional spear fisherman? One of my hobbies is building model railways, but that doesn't make me a train driver!

Edited by herfiehandbag

8 hours ago, greg71 said:

And the boat captain gets off scot-free , typical isnt it from the Thai authorities .

"The owner of the boat, who rented it to the tourist, and the skipper are facing similar charges". Sorry to disappoint you.

17 hours ago, proton said:

What about the thousands of fish flapping about in local markets or the local Thais 'fishing' with those spear guns along klongs? I went fishing in Issan once they said it would be fun, all they did was pump the water out of a pond then collect the fish on the bottom when it was empty, what's so special about the parrotfish?

It was swimming in a National Park where you are not allowed to fish.

What the F*@# ? Tourist comes to Thailand

Tourists hires a boat & says he wants to go spear fishing

Thai boat captain takes him here & he fishes...posts video about his catch

now HE? is in jail?  Whats up with this bizzaro world of Thailand

Everything always upside down backasswards

The Thai who took him here & probably said many fish here should be in jail not the tourist who does not know the lay of the land nor the laws

Edited by mania

18 hours ago, webfact said:

A FOREIGN man who posted a video of himself on TikTok after catching endangered parrotfish off Phi Phi Leh island, Krabi province, which is part of Hat Noppharat Thara–Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park has been detained and now faces legal action, Matichon newspaper said this morning (August 16).

And the Thai captain is where, still free?

14 hours ago, Purdey said:

How can they tell he was actually in the national park when the fish were caught? It doesn't matter where he was photographed, the onus should be on the police to have evidence he caught them inside the park and not a 100 metres outside the limit.

Will the captain and crew simply affirm it so they get off?

Why would you bring common sense into this ?

• Haha 1