Thai Police considering “sub-law” for limiting number of pickup truck passengers

snoop1130

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I'm sure a while back they said they were making it illegal to ride in the cargo bed. My wife mentioned it as well and I said I thought it was already illegal but not enforced. 

They did indeed say that. This is yet another case of Herman's Hermits Syndrome ("second verse, same as the first"), and will probably see the same level of enforcement (i.e., none).

• Like 2

Yesterday after collecting my daughter from school I noticed a pick-up which had been converted to a school bus, there were 3 pre-teen kids hanging off the back platform, no room inside or even on the platform, every time the bus stopped they stepped down onto the road and had to jump back on as soon as the bus moved again.

That's bad enough but there were also 4 teens sitting on the roof.

Where were the police - looking the other way.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Royal Thai Police is considering issuing a traffic sub-law of no more than three passengers allowed to be sitting in the back seats of a pickup truck and no more than six passengers allowed in a cargo bed.

People traffickers will suffer... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Not sure why there should be a limit, you can clearly see riding in the bed of a pickup truck provides far more protection than on a motorcycle here in Thailand 

image.png.a0a1cfa7464d90c51f50554af9d0da96.png

RTP leading by example.

Mounted Police.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the winner is this is not the police but the insurance company.  They will no longer be responsible for paying out if there are no seat belts or too many people in the back of the truck.

Baht buses will be baht buses nothing is going to change. Except maybe we will get more but doubt it.

as an aside I am starting to see seatbelts in in the back seats of taxis around here 

5 hours ago, kimamey said:

I'm sure a while back they said they were making it illegal to ride in the cargo bed. My wife mentioned it as well and I said I thought it was already illegal but not enforced. 

As I remember they talked about this a bout 4 or 5 years ago just before the mass exodus home for songkran, It literally just faded away, Perhaps they realised last minute how many  policemen and other "officials"  drive these vehicles.

There are 6 policemen in the wifes immediate family and several uniformed women who hang out a the Ampur  ( who seem to be incapable of explaining what they actually do )

It may be a coincidence and I've not got round to asking , yet but every one of them has recently upgraded to a new 4 door pick up from a 2 door "cab"      Needless to say my missis wants me to follow suit needless to say she is going to be disappointed , in fact doubly so, because if this law is enforced enthusiastically , the price of 2nd hand 2 door "cab" pick ups will drop like a stone and I might just buy one.  2nd hand oh the shame lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

the winner is this is not the police but the insurance company.  They will no longer be responsible for paying out if there are no seat belts or too many people in the back of the truck.

Baht buses will be baht buses nothing is going to change. Except maybe we will get more but doubt it.

as an aside I am starting to see seatbelts in in the back seats of taxis around here 

I doubt insurance companies have ever payed out for any of the above they are never ones to miss a chance to discharge their own liabilities

All new cars manufactured in the last 30 years or so would have been fitted with rear seatbelts as standard, If you have been in a taxi without rear belts then they must have been removed, Why would they do that ??

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Somebody explain please! Cargo bed vs cargo rear.

I think its intentionally totally ambiguous   somebody suggested that the "cargo rear" was the space immediately behind the driver, it could easily be argued that it refers  to the  normally uncovered area at the rear of the vehicle, 

Like wise "cargo bed"   bed as in flat bed wagon,  or bed as in where somebody might sleep such as the small rear seat in a 2 door.  Either way,  they have got you

On the other hand it might just be very poor translation.  

One thing is for certain, if it is rigorously enforced it will be the cause of some major inconveniences for a lot of already fed up people,  

• Like 1

I remember in 2018 they made it illegal to ride in the cargo bed of a pickup and almost immediately back tracked because it was songkran. There is no way the RTP will stop people riding in the back ,mainly cos they are lazy. Mind you if farang were doing it that would be a different story or different payday!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I think its intentionally totally ambiguous   somebody suggested that the "cargo rear" was the space immediately behind the driver, it could easily be argued that it refers  to the  normally uncovered area at the rear of the vehicle, 

Like wise "cargo bed"   bed as in flat bed wagon,  or bed as in where somebody might sleep such as the small rear seat in a 2 door.  Either way,  they have got you

On the other hand it might just be very poor translation.  

One thing is for certain, if it is rigorously enforced it will be the cause of some major inconveniences for a lot of already fed up people,  

Or the open tailgate on which they often sit legs dangling.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I hope they’re not proposing to abolish the baht bus, the world’s best public transport system.

sorry, but the old routemaster's, which you could jump on and off, in london were by far the best, coolest, and form of public transportation

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Somebody explain please! Cargo bed vs cargo rear.

In a 2 door pickup the primitive bench 'seat' behind the driver's  and passenger seat is the 'cargo' area. The cargo bed is the load carrying tray body behind with a tailgate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boyn said:

I remember in 2018 they made it illegal to ride in the cargo bed of a pickup and almost immediately back tracked because it was songkran. There is no way the RTP will stop people riding in the back ,mainly cos they are lazy. Mind you if farang were doing it that would be a different story or different payday!

As long as the police routinely carry passengers in the cargo tray of their pickups any law prohibiting that is unenforceable.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

In a 2 door pickup the primitive bench 'seat' behind the driver's  and passenger seat is the 'cargo' area. The cargo bed is the load carrying tray body behind with a tailgate.

its ok you've convinced me lol but the drunk cop who pulls you over might not agree so easily. Although if you argue with him for long enough he might eventually change his mind 

53 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

is that actually an official manufacturers' description or just a phrase  the authorities here have dreamed up? I'm sure I have seen seat belts in the back of some 2 door pick ups but they may have been fitted afterwards by the owner , do they even have "mounting points" 

Will there be a sub-sub -law for the owners of pickups who have had the doors and windows removed and the original engine replaced with a 10hp single cylinder kubota diesel engine ?  there's a lot of those where I live