Melatonin for sleep,any good

bert bloggs

Been having a problem sleeping lately and was told melatonin tabs were good,went to boots and watsons in Pattaya ,but 650 baht for 14 2 g tabs,seems expensive ,especially if they dont work,any of you tried them? And any idea if they can be purchased cheaper in Pattaya?

it does help me with sleep.  i have also seen the rather expensive options here in bkk.  while i did buy those, i more recently used lazada and got more reasonable pricing.  i got 3mg tablets once and would take two.  later on i got 5mg tablets and take one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have taken it on & off for many years BertB.... IMO its really good alternative -non addictive.....I stopped for a while, then on again. Lazada also sells the "Puritans Pride" brand from USA which I have brought direct from when I was in the UK.

Melantonin is the bodys natural sleeping pill. The brain produces it.. However.. This is why they call it a drowsiness pill. Bad translation , but it makes you naturally sleepy.. but not if you are excited or have general medical problems.. I think ... not sure. the point is that once i has helped you sleep the bodys natural mechanism takes over... It helped for me withouth any bi effect, but that was some 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I have had sleeping problems for many years,tried a lot of pils

and while i could get them here Xanax was my sleep of choice.

When they were not available anymore i again tried other pills but

i always need a triple or more dose.

Until 3 years a go i tried THC oil,bang! out like a light!

Now i use Cannabis as an eatable, works great but i only use it ones

a week.Better then all the poison pills out there.

• Like 2

Been using melatonin since 1998.  I believe (with zero proof) that it is "good for you".  Only take before bedtime, and don't exceed 5mg.   Very cheap in Western countries.

I take 10 mg when travelling between two very-separated time zones.

Possible negative: it can induce bad dreams.

• Like 1

Melatonin works for some, others I know...not so much. Have used it on and off for many years with pretty good results.

That said, what really works for me is Codiphen (diphenhydramine) 50mg. I only use occasionally with excellent results. Can buy at pharmacies. Cheap too. 

1 hour ago, jvs said:

I have had sleeping problems for many years,tried a lot of pils

and while i could get them here Xanax was my sleep of choice.

When they were not available anymore i again tried other pills but

i always need a triple or more dose.

Until 3 years a go i tried THC oil,bang! out like a light!

Now i use Cannabis as an eatable, works great but i only use it ones

a week.Better then all the poison pills out there.

hello mate got a Q if you dont mind im thinking the same as you im taking amitriptyline occasionally having trouble sleeping ..need to get off this poison also as you said ..

since the legalization of cannabis im wondering should i try it..

i don't smoke but i think other ways of ingestion eating ..drinking ..what's best what you you recommend oil or powder .. thankful for a reply H

I tried it when I lived in the states a few years ago.  I didn’t think it really helped,  But just because it worked or didn’t work for some people.  Doesn’t mean it will or not have the same effect for you.

I suggest you purchase the least amount you can buy at first.  Try it and see if it works for you 

52 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

hello mate got a Q if you dont mind im thinking the same as you im taking amitriptyline occasionally having trouble sleeping ..need to get off this poison also as you said ..

since the legalization of cannabis im wondering should i try it..

i don't smoke but i think other ways of ingestion eating ..drinking ..what's best what you you recommend oil or powder .. thankful for a reply H

tried drops under the tongue ,supposed to help ,doesnt work for me.

Just started taking Melatonin 2mg, not working for me. Increased to 6mg (three tablets), still not being able to sleep well. At least though, no hangover feeling in the morning. Guess it works for some people and not for others. I wish I could get cannabis on prescription...

Edited by UTH001

At least 1mg but no more than 3mg is the right dosage. Helps go to sleep quicker but doesn't always improve overall night sleep. Also handy to take in order to go to sleep again when waking up in the middle of the night, provided you still have at least 3 to 4 hours sleeping time ahead, otherwise you could wake up drowsy.

Pharmacies in Thailand sell the delayed onset tablets at a hefty price. I found the delayed onset tablets not to be useful.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1

I have used Melatonin for a great number of years. 

I have never felt strongly that it helped my sleep.

It moderates one's internal body clock and is often prescribed for jet lag.

It is a prescription medicine in many countries.

I believe the biggest benefit to be for the elderly's mental acuity. As one

gets older, so the natural production of HGH (human growth hormone)

declines, to just about zero eventually.

Melatonin spurs the production of HGH, helping to prompt alertness and

sharpness. At 77 years old, I firmly believe my brain and mind remain

in top shape. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

Just started taking Melatonin 2mg, not working for me. Increased to 6mg (three tablets), still not being able to sleep well. At least though, no hangover feeling in the morning. Guess it works for some people and not for others. I wish I could get cannabis on prescription...

You do not need a prescription ,you can buy it legally at many places.

If you are a smoker just buy one joint and see what it does for you.

Any motorbike taxi driver can deliver for you.

• Like 1

You can get them on Lazada for 400THB for 60 x 10mg capsules. I use them as I work in Greenland and theres very little darkness sometimes of the year. 

Careful though as they can be addictive and Ive found I wake up a lot during the night without them. 

Try this combination as it works well for me. 

1 x 10mg Melatonin 

2 x ZMA

1 x Vitamin D 

30 minutes before bed.