Prominent Thai doctors against extended nightlife closing times, claim tourists don’t come to Thailand to party but for beaches and temples

webfact

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Not to mention a few members of this forum who seem obsessed about placing restrictions on other peoples activities, 

Ah yes, but such enthusiasm for upholding and forcing moral standards on others funnily enough hides some dirty little secrets!

Freedom ends where fear starts.

Obsession with security is dangerous.

So is idealism and the quest for perfection - aka wokism.

Fine/jail those causing harm and leave the others be.

And please, cut the entire "culture & nature" snobbish ????.

Nobody cares. At all. At. All.

It's boring. It's lifeless. It sucks.

• Like 2

The well-informed Doctor states:

"Tourists come here because of natural and cultural tourism". Really?

Does natural and cultural tourism include:

Drop kicks to the back of the neck if you upset someone?

Double pricing?

Inability or refusal to learn the basics of a different language in order to engage customers?

Rip off Taxi, Songtaew and Tuk Tuk prices?

Over-priced consumer goods?

High taxes on wines and beers?

Being beaten up by multiple Thais - 6 (or more) on one if you dare to argue?

Yup! That's about right, Doc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I find the concept that you "don't understand " why tourists wish to behave any differently on holiday  than they would at home to be  deeply disturbing too , especially the fact that you would seek to limit their activities and  bring them into line with restrictions in your home country, Where ever that might be

Would you agree if a Saudi Arabian made such a statement ?  

To suggest that allowing night clubs to open to 4am is akin to  Thailand "selling its soul" is indicative of your ignorance of Thailand and nearly as laughable as your assertion that the revenue from tourism benefits only a minority  W.T .F. ?

Obviously you would prefer that Covid restrictions are reintroduced and that "other" people should generally be discouraged from visiting in order that your "friends and family " may feel less uncomfortable,  MIght I suggest, that rather than allowing or hoping for  the continuing decimation of the tourist industry here,  your friends and family might like to consider visiting another  country more appropriate for their sensitivities North Korea springs to mind, not to many farangs there I would imagine 

How on earth is being Thai in either Pattaya or Phuket equivalent  to being "second class" (whatever that actually means)

My friends and family are Thai, and my opinions come from them.  And I've had very good talks with highly educated Thais who set me straight on just how few people truly benefit form tourism and also have made me understand that tourism has many downsides for the average Thai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

The well-informed Doctor states:

"Tourists come here because of natural and cultural tourism". Really?

Does natural and cultural tourism include:

Drop kicks to the back of the neck if you upset someone?

Double pricing?

Inability or refusal to learn the basics of a different language in order to engage customers?

Rip off Taxi, Songtaew and Tuk Tuk prices?

Over-priced consumer goods?

High taxes on wines and beers?

Being beaten up by multiple Thais - 6 (or more) on one if you dare to argue?

Yup! That's about right, Doc.

You forgot the most expensive ganja in the world now, need for greed

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

My friends and family are Thai, and my opinions come from them.  And I've had very good talks with highly educated Thais who set me straight on just how few people truly benefit form tourism and also have made me understand that tourism has many downsides for the average Thai.

You mean to tell me that your "highly educated" Thai friends actually do not understand how important tourism is to the Thai economy as a whole.  Sounds to me they are a little out of touch or maybe not that well educated after all.  Thai's can also be a bit two faced when they want to be, and if they don't like tourists they probably don't like you much either

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

You forgot the most expensive ganja in the world now, need for greed

Most expensive ganja, where you get that nonsense from? The cost is equal or higher in most other countries.

Indoor weed simply costs more money, as it requires hardware, knowledge, electric, longer duration for drying and curing it properly, aside of high demand. Over time it can be cheaper, but it is certainly not over priced now.

2 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Why would a Thai doctor know anything about what tourists want?

They don't, but serious matters like this have to be seen to be treated  with the gravity they deserve , and one well tested way, of adding a bit of gravitas  to an argument is for a statement to be issued by a high ranking (albeit clueless )official Ideally a General or somebody who is perceived as  extremely wealthy.    Looks like whoever commissioned this article could not  (unsurprisingly) find any of those that were prepared  to get involved.   Doctors are quite fashionable these days, as the excitement of covid provided them the opportunity for a bit  self aggrandizement. Their freshly renewed sense of self importance and a bit of social media  "fame" makes them a natural second choice for all occasions 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Most expensive ganja, where you get that nonsense from? The cost is equal or higher in most other countries.

Indoor weed simply costs more money, as it requires hardware, knowledge, electric, longer duration for drying and curing it properly, aside of high demand. Over time it can be cheaper, but it is certainly not over priced now.

Indeed reasonably priced weed is easily available, There's no need to spend a fortune, however this thread is primarily about tourists who  normally pay a little more for most things especially here 

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Indeed reasonably priced weed is easily available, There's no need to spend a fortune, however this thread is primarily about tourists who  normally pay a little more for most things especially here 

Even for tourists and at tourist prices the pricing is very reasonable at most places. I do not understand the repeated whining over this at all. 

Specially if you are a tourist, and not a daily smoker, 1 joint for even 300 baht is cheap compared to having to drink all night. As a few hits would make such user really high already, you could easily share 1 with 4 people.

And long-time smokers, even they are tourists, usually find the good deals and ways fast enough. It's user instinct.

Aside of all above, obviously the places who now offer a joint, and no longer earn on alcohol, or less, still need to make revenue to be able and afford the rent, electric, wages and more.

A beer from 7/11 or tesco is also cheaper than in a place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I genuinely feel sorry for someone who made it to be a doctor, and yet is so clueless about reality and life.

These people just transit between their villa houses and the hospital, to spend 1 night in the 5 star hua hin resort on the weekend, and thinking the old farang couples they see there reflect tourism in Thailand. Exactly the same with all government officials.

Many of these "doctors" ceased to practice medicine years ago (probably when it dawned on them they were useless) they seem to make a living by being "affiliated " to various organisations and uttering public statements like this, as and when required, 

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

of tourist numbers as a whole sex tourists make up but a small part, package holidays from china and elsewhere, of people not interested in prostitutes or the sex industry, make up by far the larger share of the tourism market

"Sex Tourist"   do normal  people actually use that term, or is it reserved for sexually repressed bigots ?  is there actually  an official definition ? For example how many times would one have to have sex whilst on holiday to be considered a sex tourist,? Would enjoying a holiday romance result in one being labelled as such  ?

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would a bunch of doctors venture an opinion as to what tourists likes to do in while in Thailand? how's that concern them anyway? stick to what you know best and that's being a doctor, ( not that i put a 100% faith in Thai doctors anyway)...

one shouldn't put 100% faith in any doctor, that's why we have second opinions, lol I see that's what they have tried to do in the OP 

I have visited at least 8 temples.  They are kinda boring.  The white temple stands out plus some of the stone work and ruins are fun to see.  It is also fun to see some night life. I have closed down spankies once.  And a real late night at a twang dang.  But staying out late and going to see temples, gardens, or caves, or lotus lakes before it gets to hot isn't compatible.  My goals were always to meet a woman not get drunk and I don't think bars or discos are a good place to meet a life partner.   If your in the rental game down and dirty by 9:30. 

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I have visited at least 8 temples.  They are kinda boring. 

If one actually was so fancy about temples, they would be visiting Angkor Wat. And if they were true Buddhists, India.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 hours ago, WinterGael said:

And I've had very good talks with highly educated Thais who set me straight on just how few people truly benefit form tourism and also have made me understand that tourism has many downsides for the average Thai.

So you've basically had a bunch of elitist educated Thais who do not rely nor care about tourism money tell you how inconvenient tourism is for them? These are not "average Thais". The average Thai was sitting unemployed with no money while tourism was dead during Covid. Be it hotel operators, cleaners, nightlife staff, or even freelancers and food vendors - the average Thai in tourism areas (Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok's Sukhumvit/Khao San/etc) very much benefits and depends on tourism revenue directly and indirectly - those areas were ghost towns with everything shut off while nightlife was banned. I'm sure some educated doctor in Nonthaburi couldn't care less about tourism - but that's not "Average Thai".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, roger101 said:

Sorry, the first part refers to a time  after I bought my condo. The second part was when I was still staying in hotels.

Ah - thank you for the explanation - it's a bit clearer now!

Prominent Thai doctors are completely out of touch with what farang tourist come to Thailand for - but claim they better than the tourists themselves.

Bars should be open until 2am. 

Edited by connda

On 8/21/2022 at 7:55 PM, webfact said:

I believe that foreign tourists come to Thailand not because of nightclubs, drinking, and partying. Most of them want to come here because of natural and cultural tourism places like beaches, parks, traditional Thai culture, and temples. 

He is right that some tourists come for just that. However there are many who come predominantly for the nightlife and girls.  You can probably now add those who will be attracted by the easy access and legality of cannabis.  Bangkok has long been known as the party city of South East Asia and that isn't going to change anytime soon

On 8/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, Bday Prang said:

Many of these "doctors" ceased to practice medicine years ago (probably when it dawned on them they were useless) they seem to make a living by being "affiliated " to various organisations and uttering public statements like this, as and when required, 

Indeed. Just Govt mouthpieces wearing a white coat. And a mask of course.

• Like 1

Just now, huangnon said:

Indeed. Just Govt mouthpieces wearing a white coat. And a mask of course.

And its not unique to Thailand, The Uk had several  profits of doom  One (Neill Fergusson) was caught breaking lock down rules in order to visit his mistress in the early days of covid . another ( may even have been the same guy) had a history of disproved doom and gloom predictions stretching back over 20 years involving everything from Foot and Mouth to SARS. The rest of them were no better. Strangely they all received knighthoods in gratitude for the parts they played in helping to terrify the nation 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And its not unique to Thailand, The Uk had several  profits of doom  One (Neill Fergusson) was caught breaking lock down rules in order to visit his mistress in the early days of covid . another ( may even have been the same guy) had a history of disproved doom and gloom predictions stretching back over 20 years involving everything from Foot and Mouth to SARS. The rest of them were no better. Strangely they all received knighthoods in gratitude for the parts they played in helping to terrify the nation 

Same guy. Professor Neil Fergusson at Imperial College, London. Failed computer modeller extraordinaire. Always gets his modeled predictions totally wrong, and indeed is the 'go-to' guy for wrong predictions... Funded by the usual suspects (Bill & Melinda, WHO, etc).

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/six-questions-that-neil-ferguson-should-be-asked

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, it is what it is said:

of tourist numbers as a whole sex tourists make up but a small part, package holidays from china and elsewhere, of people not interested in prostitutes or the sex industry, make up by far the larger share of the tourism market

Single travelers probably come for the nightlife but couples and families come for the whole package.