Thai police tell public to stop "three beeps" craze - it's dangerous and you'll be fined 500 baht

webfact

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It has been going on for several months now - and the tight uniforms have just realised it's significance - and have reacted in the only way they know , bossy lectures and meaningless threats. 

Toot toot toot!

I don't think its quite like that, The police are not particularly enamoured with Prayuth and his military administration. The  "senior officer" making this announcement is only carrying out instructions issued from a higher authority.

Lets be honest the only people they will catch are the ones stupid enough  to do it in the vicinity of a police station or check point.

He's just paying lip service to his superiors and ensuring that a perceived dissent is at least seen to be outlawed

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

In the village NE everyone beeps 3 times when passing the temple… including me.. only during daylight…. Never after dark.. 

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

FOR WHAT???????????????????????

To wish to stop over excessive punctuation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It has been going on for several months now - and the tight uniforms have just realised it's significance - and have reacted in the only way they know , bossy lectures and meaningless threats. 

If you bothered to read the article you'd know that the police didn't comment on that, it was Asean Now, in their wisdom, that "noted" it.

"ASEAN NOW notes that this can be seen in the light of the gesture being connected with anti-government protests". 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

NOW everyone will KNOW. Well done RTP talk about shooting yourself in the foot , more moronic sound-bites, they forget, ignore it it will go away eventually and the Monarchy and Country will be the same .HOW PETTY !!!!!!

The police said nothing about that, the Asean Now writer did that all by himself.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What exactly did he comment about "perceived dissent"?

He didn't you are quite right , but i'd made the connection the minute I heard the words "viral craze" and three fingers  I didn't need Asean now to spell it out. 

Of course I may be wrong, but  I think the guy was instructed not to mention any words like "dissent "  or "protest"   This has been seen as something with the potential to develop and they want to nip it in the bud , Doing so under the guise of health and safety is, in my opinion, a sad attempt to hide what is effectively removing peoples right of protest.. 

Are you not a little  surprised the general has issued such a statement expressing  "his safety concerns" for a few  minor miscreants and highlighting the dangers of "losing control whilst sounding ones horn " yet wasn't that moved to take the opportunity to spell out a few other more common  dangers on the roads, and his promise to come down as firmly on drunk drivers and on other such people and practices who endanger the lives of other people every day was notable by its absence too

Can't blame em  really   I think they'd really rather not have to get the tanks out

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

He cited 1979 laws saying that beeping of the horn is only allowed when used to avoid accidents

Is that best he can come up with, what about all the other road laws that RTP routinely forget about.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He cited 1979 laws saying that beeping of the horn is only allowed when used to avoid accidents.

In that case, it could be argued the trucker was indeed doing the right thing.......alerting those at the road side of the dangers.????

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

What about the taxis and songthaews that are always beeping at pedestrians? 

Thanks for reminding me. Now I know what part of the country there is endless honking.

Pattaya, where else ????

And yes it's annoying.

On first visit I was completely confused and always thinking what's wrong.

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

In the village NE everyone beeps 3 times when passing the temple… including me.. only during daylight…. Never after dark.. 

There is a place on The Isle of Man where, as one drives through, for luck, you have to wave at the fairies..... there is a place in Pattaya too but it is different. 

• Haha 1